cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suburban Water Heater

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I emptied my Water Heater today to begin winterizing my camper. When I took out the anode rod, it was pretty bad so I need to get a new one. I guess they are only good for one season. Looking online, I found aluminum rods and Magnesium rods. Which should I buy? Also, I stuck my finger in the tank and there's debris on the bottom of the tank. It feels sandy. It's just near where the anode rod gets threaded in. Is there a procedure to flush the tank better than just letting it drain? IS what I'm finding pretty normal?
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
17 REPLIES 17

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. I ordered a Magnesium anode rod and the water heater flush thing from Amazon. Thanks for your help Donn0128 and wa8yxm!
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the garden hose is too big they make a smaller plastic "Nozzle" that is about a foot or so long for flushing out the tank, has an angled tip. Any RV place should have.

As to which type of anode you need. Check with surburan. make sure you have the MODEL number of your heater handy.. I'm unable to advise.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take your garden hose and stuff it in the hole and turn it on. If you happen to have a piece of plastic hose you could make something that screws onto a hose end, but still fits inside the tank and slosh it around to flush out the debris.
Get the magnesium anode. There is only a few dollars difference, so use the best you can find.