cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The C we want has no attached roof ladder...

standup
Explorer
Explorer
Found a Sunseeker that has all we need, but no attached ladder, due to a rear slide. Gotta figure out real soon, b4 it's sold, if there are any suitable alternatives to getting on to the 10' roof, like a collapsible that's sturdy enough for a 62-year-old. Thanks for any ideas/experiences!!
14 REPLIES 14

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Having been something of a ladder monkey in my youth.. I would say "GOOD" to an RV with no attached roof ladder, in fact I cut mine off, Here is why:

1: The standard RV roof ladder is a featherweight,,, Now.. a 10 year old it might hold but 300 pounds of sixty year old.. NOT A CHANCE of it holding up the way they mount them.

Second, it is a vertical ladder, very hard to climb, not a bit like a slanted ladder that I used professionally when I did roofing for a living.

What would I recommend,, or to be more precise what do I use?

Well, many moons ago my Dad (May he rest in peace) got a convertable step/extension ladder from Sears. That is what I use when I need to get on the roof as it is long enough (Just) to be a proper roof ladder, Way easier to get on and off and to climb,, But you do need to be careful that it does not blow over unless you have a ground crew.

It also comes in handy (Step mode) for washing and waxing.

For lesser jobs I may use my Telescoping ladder. it is NOT long enough for use as a roof ladder.. but it is still very handy. Collapsed it will fit in at least one suitcase I have. (Provided I remove the portable recording studio first).

Excellent advice and observations!

Spent 30 years climbing ladders.

"Modified" for RV use:

A proper "climbing angle" is to stand at the base of the ladder, when you reach out to the ladder a rung should be at (approx) arm's length away from you - at shoulder height.
Which means the base of the ladder is about 5-6' away from the RV.

If you have a "spotter" (assistant), he/she can stand behind the ladder holding (pulling back on) both ladder rails - or stand at the base with one foot on the bottom rung - firmly pushing inward on the rails. Really important for starting down!

The ladder attached to the RV obviously does *NOT* meet that standard - along with other "failings" - like the attachment/s to the RV.

You don't want "failings" - to turn into "fallings"!.:(
(Neither do I, and I'm 72)

On "the road" if I need one, I use a telescoping ladder - tied off to top of the stationary ladder.
At home I use an extension ladder - also tied off at the top.
(Either one - extended one or two rungs *above* roof level).

IMO - that's all the attached ladder is good for - I *never* use it.

For the RV with no ladder, I would look for (or add) an anchor point to tie off the ladder to the side - close to the top of the RV.
*If* there is also a slide on the *side* of the RV, the slide extended to block one side of movement would be good also.

The roof of an RV is a good place to avoid - if at all possible!.;)

~

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
When we break camp, I always climb onto the roof and blow debris off the slide before retracting it (don't have a slide topper) with my small but powerful cordless Makita blower.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
standup wrote:
Good, concise responses as usual on this forum. MrWizard, I'm healthy for 62, but have lost balance compared to times of yore. I think one of the lighter telescoping jobs will do. Especially if I have a "spotter" or two.
Rarely need to get up there, but sometimes for general inspection, or a bulb, or to get stuff off the slide, etc. Or for solitude.
Do you think you will need to get on top while camping? If not, just get an 8' step ladder and leave it at home. My TT doesn't have a ladder, and I get on top to cover/uncover all the time. Althought the telescoping ladder sounds like a good idea.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:
The last TT we bought we bought 3 years old, with ladder. Most of the model we decided we wanted had a factory ladder to the roof. A few did not. Our last TT did not have a ladder, and this time, I decided we would not buy one without.

We are not disappointed -- would not buy a TT without a factory ladder, due to the convenience of it. But then again, I only weigh 170 lbs, so I'm nowhere close to pushing the weight limit. And yes, it's not as easy to climb as a free standing ladder, but I don't find it an issue at all.

Personally, we haven't had a problem with kids climbing on it.

I have aluminum step ladders at home to use for waxing the RV and so on, but the factory roof ladder is quite sufficient for us when camping, so we don't have to carry a free standing ladder. I also believe that having a factory ladder on the unit adds utilitarian appeal that would help when time to sell.

I have one of the exact ladder. I still use it regularly. They stopped making them many years ago; I don't know why. I thought it was a great design and an alternative to having to buy a step ladder and an extension ladder. I would buy another one if they were still available.

Ray

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Vet Man wrote:
From what I have read, the manufacture reinforces the roof when they install a ladder. I would call the factory and see what they say about installing a ladder not done at the factory. I would be afraid it would rip out of the wood that is used without some reinforcement.

X2
If the RV did not leave the factory with a ladder then it likely does not have the internal structure to support adding a ladder at a later date. That's the general rule - there are a few exceptions though.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
The last TT we bought we bought 3 years old, with ladder. Most of the model we decided we wanted had a factory ladder to the roof. A few did not. Our last TT did not have a ladder, and this time, I decided we would not buy one without.

We are not disappointed -- would not buy a TT without a factory ladder, due to the convenience of it. But then again, I only weigh 170 lbs, so I'm nowhere close to pushing the weight limit. And yes, it's not as easy to climb as a free standing ladder, but I don't find it an issue at all.

Personally, we haven't had a problem with kids climbing on it.

I have aluminum step ladders at home to use for waxing the RV and so on, but the factory roof ladder is quite sufficient for us when camping, so we don't have to carry a free standing ladder. I also believe that having a factory ladder on the unit adds utilitarian appeal that would help when time to sell.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Having been something of a ladder monkey in my youth.. I would say "GOOD" to an RV with no attached roof ladder, in fact I cut mine off, Here is why:

1: The standard RV roof ladder is a featherweight,,, Now.. a 10 year old it might hold but 300 pounds of sixty year old.. NOT A CHANCE of it holding up the way they mount them.

Second, it is a vertical ladder, very hard to climb, not a bit like a slanted ladder that I used professionally when I did roofing for a living.

What would I recommend,, or to be more precise what do I use?

Well, many moons ago my Dad (May he rest in peace) got a convertable step/extension ladder from Sears. That is what I use when I need to get on the roof as it is long enough (Just) to be a proper roof ladder, Way easier to get on and off and to climb,, But you do need to be careful that it does not blow over unless you have a ground crew.

It also comes in handy (Step mode) for washing and waxing.

For lesser jobs I may use my Telescoping ladder. it is NOT long enough for use as a roof ladder.. but it is still very handy. Collapsed it will fit in at least one suitcase I have. (Provided I remove the portable recording studio first).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Well I'm 61 only one year behind you and use one of these http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=xtend+climb&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=31558819757&h... Hated to pay the price but I also needed ladder and this took place of the bunk ladder and roof ladder and I also use around house sometimes. I didn't want a RV ladder installed because I couldn't tell where support was on top to screw into. One day at the local Sherwood Williams paint store I saw it, went home and read reviews. They are not perfect but better than drilling holes in roof guessing where support beam was IMO. I also take the ladder around to the sides of RV instead of standing on a roof in slippery soapy water when washing. I got a bigger rating even though the rating of my weight was OK, wanted to make sure it would be OK if was lugging something up on roof. BE advised... Has served me well after I learned to turn it upside down to close instead of pinching my fingers. Towel or old rags around top keeps any scratches off RV. If you check one out at paint store measure width first. Mine barley fits with sofa made out into bed. I would buy again. I do ask wife to steady me on any ladder, or at least have phone ready to call 911:)

Amazon has them but wanted to buy locally in case I didn't like and pretty big to ship back. Camping world has a ladder that folds up and can fit into vinyl fence post on bumper, but not long enough IMO.

Ok my 2 cents worth

(edit part...WOW looking at above posts, seems I'm not only one that like extend-a-climb)
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

standup
Explorer
Explorer
Good, concise responses as usual on this forum. MrWizard, I'm healthy for 62, but have lost balance compared to times of yore. I think one of the lighter telescoping jobs will do. Especially if I have a "spotter" or two.
Rarely need to get up there, but sometimes for general inspection, or a bulb, or to get stuff off the slide, etc. Or for solitude.

Joe2222
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
We just ordered our new trailer and requested they don't install a ladder. I feel it's a temptation to kids to climb. Also found them too
steep to comfortably climb. We carry a "Little Giant Ladder" in the back of the pickup. If you stand it on edge across the bed it only takes 8 or 10 inches of space.

Joe & Lorraine
2015 Rockwood Ultra Light 2608WS,
14 Ford F150 Super Cab 3.5L EcoBoost

Sebastian FL

:Z:R

MrWizard
i'm 67 and i use a telescoping collapsible ladder
are you healthy, agile, overweight ?
its not your age or the style of ladder
its your physical condition

i really love my Extend-A-Step ladder
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

westend
Explorer
Explorer
standup wrote:
Found a Sunseeker that has all we need, but no attached ladder, due to a rear slide. Gotta figure out real soon, b4 it's sold, if there are any suitable alternatives to getting on to the 10' roof, like a collapsible that's sturdy enough for a 62-year-old. Thanks for any ideas/experiences!!
I have one of these, it seems to do the job well.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
From what I have read, the manufacture reinforces the roof when they install a ladder. I would call the factory and see what they say about installing a ladder not done at the factory. I would be afraid it would rip out of the wood that is used without some reinforcement.
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Some toy haulers have a ladder on the side. May be an option.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog