cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

towing a5er and getting a lot of teeter totter down the road

gamma3116
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to know how to slow down this teeter totter action I get while going down the road. It gets bad at times were the t.v. speakers will come loose from the cabinets. Any suggestions ?
14 REPLIES 14

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I'm assuming your pin box bolts are tight. If so then it would seem you have a flex issue where the pin box is connected. Seems strange for a new 5'er to have that bad of an issue.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Is he possibly referring to what is called chucking?
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
jaycocamprs wrote:
gamma3116 wrote:
I notice the pin box doesent move. It the body of the trailer. You can see were the body rubs on the pinbox as it teeters up and down, when it gets bad.

I would look at the frame around where the pinbox bolts up. This is a known problem area on Keystone 5'vers with Lippert frames. You should not have movement in this area.

X2

If it is rubbing it is beyond maybe a little flex of the front cap, time to checkout the frame at the pin box. I assume you have owned the 5er since new.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
gamma3116 wrote:
I notice the pin box doesent move. It the body of the trailer. You can see were the body rubs on the pinbox as it teeters up and down, when it gets bad.

I would look at the frame around where the pinbox bolts up. This is a known problem area on Keystone 5'vers with Lippert frames. You should not have movement in this area.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

gamma3116
Explorer
Explorer
gamma3116 wrote:
I would like to know how to slow down this teeter totter action I get while going down the road. It gets bad at times were the t.v. speakers will come loose from the cabinets. Any suggestions ?
I have a dodge 2011 3500 hd 4 wheel drive . The 5er is a alpine made by keystone its 39 ft . 2012 I travel with no water, the weight is 13, 500 lbs loaded, not maxed out. The hitch is located over the rear axle. When pulling the trailer the truck doesnt bounce up or down. I notice the pin box doesent move. It the body of the trailer. You can see were the body rubs on the pinbox as it teeters up and down, when it gets bad.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
MorRyde, TrailAir, Demco and the list goes on.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
OP, you have six guesses (including mine) without any information on the tow vehicle or trailer. Models? Weight ratings? Actual weights? Then the guesses might mean something.

(BTW, six is not bad, I have seen a dozen or more with even less facts.)

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
Lack of pin weight is more that likely the problem. You didn't mention what kind of 5th wheel it is. If it is a toy hauler you probably have too much load in the back. It will also help to fill the fresh water tank.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
With ours the problem was the passenger car tires that came on the truck when we bought it used. LT tires with stiffer sidewalls did the trick.
Jayco-noslide

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The closer I got to level, the better mine towed. Dealer had the front about six inches higher than level to start with. Within five miles, I was ready to return it. Lots of fancy$$$$$ hitches out there that might help too.

mguay
Explorer
Explorer
I'm guessing you are talking about a porpoise condition? Hitch height is the problem. When hooked up and on level ground, the 5er should be a little nose high. Not level and not down hill. Not too high either!
2007 Volvo VNL 780 D12/Ultra Shift Singled
2017 Smart Fortwo Prime Cabrio
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3715FB

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what you mean by "teeter totter". Are you talking side to side, or front to back? I got mine to quit bucking by lowering the front of the trailer. Don't go overboard and get the trailer too near the bed of the truck though.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Do your trailer axles have shock absorbers? Some manufactures do not include them - or put them on one axle, not both. Many times they are worn out, and not that good of quality.

Is your hitch mounted with the center 1" forward of the center of the truck axle? If mounted behind the axle, it can cause bad handling on the truck and possibly trailer problems as well.

How much weight is on the hitch? Check the truck front and rear axle weights, then hitch up and check the truck again, then the whole rig, and let us know what you found. Also let us know if the water tank was 1/2 or 1/4 or full.

Most fifth wheels are pretty stable, so suprised to hear this.

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Moved from Forum Technical Support