cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Two things we notice

karead7
Explorer
Explorer
about running a campground here in central Saskatchewan, Canada.

One, people around here know how to back up. From boat trailers to fifth wheels, they can squeeze into and around anything, going backwards with a trailer. There are no pull through sites here, so I guess they've had practice.

Two, they are no different than the rest of North America when it comes to thinking that their firepit is actually a trash can. Seriously folks, put your trash in the bin, not the firepit. Please...?

www.travelwithkevinandruth.com
31 REPLIES 31

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where we currently are workamping, we pass out trash bags to people. We always ask if they need any and most state that they have one. We tell them" we'll just give you one in case you need it". It must be working as most sites are clean when people leave. We pick up very little trash, even from the firepits.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
mike mck wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Thats_Ok wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Also the fire pit is not your dogs bathroom.

Still don't understand the anti-dog element...
Not the dogs fault...bears, birds, deer, racoons, skunks, squirrels, and other vermin poop in the woods...

9.8 of 10 dog people pick-up as far as I've noticed.
Why is this such a big frigging deal?

...actually never seen dog droppings in any fire pit...
Crimeny sakes ๐Ÿ˜ž

Ok, I'll explain....

I COOK FOOD over my fire. The last time I camped, a dog on a leash was allowed to PISS on my fire ring. To me that is a big frigging deal! With the attitude that anything like this is OK, you don't belong in a campground.

When you cook food on a public Grill do you clean it before cooking? I would think same is true of the fire pit. I can't imagine why you would cook over a public campground fire pit. Dogs are the least of your worries. Your expectation that a hole in the ground in a circle of rocks used by the general public will be suitable to cook your food without any cleaning on your part amazes me. Bring a grill.

I never saw people jump to conclusions like this. Just where did you get the nonsense about no cleaning?

OK, I cleaned up a fire ring that wasn't even used yet this year. The next day a "lady" with a dog, on a very long leash, allowed it to come 30 feet into my site and spray my fire ring. These folks and all that believe that to be acceptable, is what amazes me.

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Thats_Ok wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Also the fire pit is not your dogs bathroom.

Still don't understand the anti-dog element...
Not the dogs fault...bears, birds, deer, racoons, skunks, squirrels, and other vermin poop in the woods...

9.8 of 10 dog people pick-up as far as I've noticed.
Why is this such a big frigging deal?

...actually never seen dog droppings in any fire pit...
Crimeny sakes ๐Ÿ˜ž

Ok, I'll explain....

I COOK FOOD over my fire. The last time I camped, a dog on a leash was allowed to PISS on my fire ring. To me that is a big frigging deal! With the attitude that anything like this is OK, you don't belong in a campground.

When you cook food on a public Grill do you clean it before cooking? I would think same is true of the fire pit. I can't imagine why you would cook over a public campground fire pit. Dogs are the least of your worries. Your expectation that a hole in the ground in a circle of rocks used by the general public will be suitable to cook your food without any cleaning on your part amazes me. Bring a grill.

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
karead7 wrote:
Two things we notice...
...about running a campground here in central Saskatchewan, Canada.

One, people around here know how to back up. From boat trailers to fifth wheels, they can squeeze into and around anything, going backwards with a trailer. There are no pull through sites here, so I guess they've had practice.

Two, they are no different than the rest of North America when it comes to thinking that their firepit is actually a trash can. Seriously folks, put your trash in the bin, not the firepit. Please...?

www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

Thanx for the Blog...interesting read.

Need to get with some Canadians...I have a heck of a time backing up.
LOL

So the firepit nastiness is in Canada too?

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
robatthelake wrote:
...and would You believe that they even moved the Fire Pit several Feet from where They were dug into the ground.

Just did that the last time out. Had I left the fire pit where it was my awning would have been partially over the fire pit. I was parked as far to the opposite side of the site as I could and there was plenty of room toward the other side. I was going to have a fire and it was not going to be under my awning. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
I use the fire pit for cooking but I do not use their grill. I use a cast iron pan tree.
Trust me, if you clean any debris out the pit when you get there and start a good fire,it does not matter what was in it previous to your arrival. You have a mental hang up that is your duty to get around.
All the ranting, whining and *****ing is not going to change any one elses conduct, so why are you getting your panties in a wad about it.
We live in a wide wonderful world, populated with mostly wonderful people. You know what though? I can't think of a single person that does not have a quirk, a habit, or mannerism that doesn't irk me from time to time.
You are the only one that can control your peace of mind,if you allow others action to do it for you,expect a miserable life!

Who on Earth are you complaining about?
We were discussing filthy fire rings.

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
I use the fire pit for cooking but I do not use their grill. I use a cast iron pan tree.
Trust me, if you clean any debris out the pit when you get there and start a good fire,it does not matter what was in it previous to your arrival. You have a mental hang up that is your duty to get around.
All the ranting, whining and *****ing is not going to change any one elses conduct, so why are you getting your panties in a wad about it.
We live in a wide wonderful world, populated with mostly wonderful people. You know what though? I can't think of a single person that does not have a quirk, a habit, or mannerism that doesn't irk me from time to time.
You are the only one that can control your peace of mind,if you allow others action to do it for you,expect a miserable life!

Greytruck18
Explorer
Explorer
All true... People are slobs.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
apr67 wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:

Ok, I'll explain....

You really worry about this? While I wouldn't shower in it, you won't catch much from dog urine. Leptospirosis, is about it, and that is only while the urine is wet. I would imagine even the simplest of fires would stop it. BTW, many forest animals also carry this disease, so perhaps a shoot on sight policy for squirrels should be implemented?

Dont get me wrong, I don't like people letting their dogs use my site as a bathroom. But anything within a few feet of the road is acceptable for me.

I really don't know where to begin! Just keep your filth away from other peoples sites.

Maybe you have some good recipes with dog urine as an ingredient.

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
I cook on my fire almost exclusively. HOWEVER, in the interest of not knowing what has taken place before I got there I always make a good HOT fire once before using it. Once I get that thing lit the grate is lowered as close to the fire as I can. Then I stoke the fire and brush the life out of the grate. Re-oil with a nice coat of oil and let that burn off. Then the next fire is ready cook but gets the same brush and oil treatment. DW tells me that I if I keep going with my passion for fire cooking I am going to end up on the BBQ circuit.
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

apr67
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:

Ok, I'll explain....

You really worry about this? While I wouldn't shower in it, you won't catch much from dog urine. Leptospirosis, is about it, and that is only while the urine is wet. I would imagine even the simplest of fires would stop it. BTW, many forest animals also carry this disease, so perhaps a shoot on sight policy for squirrels should be implemented?

Dont get me wrong, I don't like people letting their dogs use my site as a bathroom. But anything within a few feet of the road is acceptable for me.
2017 Thor Hurricane 34J
Gone-2014 Chevy Express 3500
Gone-2016 Jayco White Hawk 32DSBH
Gone-2013 Keystone Bullet 294BHS
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
My little propane campfire is the just the best. Slobs beware..I can ignore that stinky mess and put my campfire wherever I want it.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Tom_Diane
Explorer
Explorer
Thats_Ok wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:

Ok, I'll explain....

I COOK FOOD over my fire.

Well I can see your point then.

Who knows what happens in the fire pit when unobserved.
Others burn all kinds of toxins in the fire like treated lumber and cans coated inside with Teflon.
I have a camping friend that cooks over the fire pit and is anal about the cleanliness when he arrives and cleans it himself . No one puts trash or other wood in the fire until he is done cooking that day. I hate when folks try to burn their cans and baby diapers before pulling out of the CG.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sometimes I think the people who complain are worse than the slobs. I would much rather have a cig butt in a firepit that have someone flick it into the woods and burn the state down.

Spray some cleaner on the grate and let the heat disinfect it before cooking. Always a good idea to use either foil or a secondary grate on public grills, just like you're not supposed to put your lips on a water fountain.