cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unbelievable, squirrels / rats

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
Found and blocked the probable hole that was the entryway to the MH.
Used copper scouring pad wedged tightly in hole followed by expanding foam sealant.
Checked it today--copper pushed out and foam chewed up.
Doubled the copper and more foam. See what happens.
32 REPLIES 32

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
Rats can eat through concrete, if they know/smell a food source on the other side. I have had to go to many grocery stores and have my guys 'try' to repair where they have eaten through concrete, concrete block, etc... Their teeth grow constantly and they must chew to wear them down...

Squirrels can be very destructive, more so than their hairless tail relatives, and more determined. You basically need to exterminate...

Most are creatures of habit and will typically use the same path. If you can locate it, that is where you set your traps, preferably outside...

Personally, I would not eat a squirrel caught/killed anywhere near civilization. Rabies can be terrible thing... ยกbuen provecho!
Inquiring minds want to know...

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
Or use a havaheart type trap...first fasten it open and bait it....let the critter have a few free meals. When he is happy with freeloading...set the trap and whammy...got it. Then kill the bugger! Do the same thing again to make sure you get them all.....

I do this regularly and get several a day sometimes
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago, squirrels started storing walnuts from neighbor's tree under the hood in our Class C. They were getting in thru the bottom of the engine compartment-so couldn't patch that off. I tried snap traps, sticky traps-nothing worked, until.... rubber snakes from the dollar store. I'm not kidding. Next time you're at the dollar tree buying Awesome, buy a handful of rubber snakes and put them around the RV. They are so realistic that they make me jump!

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
Get a small conibear trap and place it over the access hole that'll take care of either your squirrel or rat. Here's a link showing them set for ground squirrels. I bought a house in TX that had all sorts of gnawed up trim, I finally saw a huge squirrel going in my attic through an out-of-service vent. I put a conibear trap over the vent and that was the end of the problem. After I dispatched the squirrel I sealed off the vent.
http://ucanr.edu/sites/Ground_Squirrel_BMP/CONTROL_METHODS/Conibear_traps/

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Squirrel can be quite tasty and tender when prepared properly.

When I was a kid, we used to live trap them, keep them in cages and feed them corn for a couple of months. They would put on a few ounces of fat before we butchered them. Yummy!
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

patnchris
Explorer
Explorer
Rat trap may not work. You'd be suprised at how tough a squirrel is.
Patrick and Christine
Trevor the cocker spaniel
2007 Ford F150 4X4 Max tow package
Flagstaff 8526 RLWS Classic Ultralight.

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
The best way to get rid of squirrels is a recipe.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
There will be no trapping and removing if it's caught. I don't think a rat trap is very gentle.

patnchris
Explorer
Explorer
If you truly have a squirrel, you have a big problem. Once they have a home, they are determined not to give it up. Blocking the holes will not work as they will just make a new one somewbere else. You can try trapping it and removing it from the area....far, far away....other than that, your only choices will be to kill the squirrel or move the bouse so he can't find it...Don't need to ask how I know this...after patching up multiple holes.
Patrick and Christine
Trevor the cocker spaniel
2007 Ford F150 4X4 Max tow package
Flagstaff 8526 RLWS Classic Ultralight.

A_hitch_and_hop
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard the "Peppermint oil is a deterrent. I had a squirrel problem at my bird feeder and, I solved it by getting a bag of "Spicy" hot squirrel repellent with red pepper and mixed it into the seed. Birds don't notice it, but rats, mice. and squirrels can't stand it.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
A squirrel can be twice as bad as a rat.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

jdog
Explorer
Explorer
Yummy!

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
410, skinning knife, a roux. Bon apptite!

Whens dinner?:B

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
410, skinning knife, a roux. Bon apptite!