Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What are you reading?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Let's share book ideas!

I'm currently reading Huckleberry Finn. Haven't read it since I was a kid and, no surprise, it's a lot more complex than I remembered :). And a good traveling book!

Also highly recommended, from my just-finished pile, Motoring with Mohammed. It's nothing about war -- it's a travelogue from the 80s, about Yemen. Beautifully written.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
540 REPLIES 540

quoyfab
Explorer
Explorer
Killing Jesus - Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard.

Anxiously awaiting the next of the Killing series as I've read ALL.

dakasa47
Explorer
Explorer
Finished Queen's Consort, finished Jen Lancaster... Stories I'd Tell in Bars....now reading Dead Presidents: An American Adventure into the Strange Deaths and Surprising Afterlives of our Nations Leaders.

Ever since reading the three volume set about Theodore Roosevelt and The Bully Pulpit by Doris Kearns Goodwin I have been on a reading quest about our presidents. I have also read a biography of Eleanor Roosevelt and of Edith Carow Roosevelt( Theodore's wife) Have also read First Families by Bonnie Angelo The Impact of the White House on Their Lives ...about the children of the presidents...some very very sad stories.

If anyone is interested in reading the 3 volumes about Theodore Roosevelt they are written by Edmund Morris and are titled

The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt ( about his early years obviously)

Theodore Rex (about his political life)

Colonel Roosevelt (about the years after being president)

For anyone interested in history of the USA I recommend these books. TR was one of the most amazing persons I have ever read about and I have read many biographies. And even if I don't agree vehemently with some of the decision he made I still found his life (personal and political) and adventures and his influence to be fascinating as all get out!!!!
David and Marianne
2010 Tundra
2007 FunFinder 21'

Traveler7
Explorer
Explorer
'Giant of the Senate' by Sen. Al Franken
"We are not defined by our limitations, we are defined by our potential"

dakasa47
Explorer
Explorer
dakasa47 wrote:
Queen's Consort by Lisa Hilton

I am still reading Queen's Consort...interesting history of Englands Queens starting with William the Conquerors wife Matilda to....well have not reached the end but I think it might end at the Tudors. Lots of Matildas,and Eleanors and Isabelles
David and Marianne
2010 Tundra
2007 FunFinder 21'

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
I really like the short story book. He did write some long novels and I am not sure about this but I think I remember some non fiction stuff as well. Not sure about that however. Back then I was reading whatever I could find about science fiction or fact, especially space related.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
georgelesley wrote:
The collected stories of Arthur C. Clarke, a British science fiction writer I read as a teenager in the 1950's. they are all new to me now although I do remember a bit now and then.

I did not realize Clarke was British. I have what seems like shelves full of his books. Mostly great "hard" science fiction - very little fantasy or romance.

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Currently reading Pop Goes The Weasel by James Patterson. I had read this book several years ago, but came across it again and it is still good the second time around.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
dakasa47 wrote:
ro_sie wrote:
Still reading Barkskins by Proux, but I have Hillbilly Elegy by J. D. Vance waiting in the wings. Barkskins is a great book, but Hillbilly looks to be very interesting!

It does look interesting. I will be interested in your opinion of it after you read it.

Dakasa47, I did read Hillbilly Elegy and as the name implies, it is a narrative by J.D. Vance. Basically his life story . Part of me was knew he was being honest, but it was so sad. It is about his young life and family from Kentucky and then their move to Ohio. I can only say, his life was rough with a rough family. He was the one in a million that rose above it. It depressed me so that I wanted to throw the book away after I read it. Luckily, shortly after I finished that book, we jumped in the MoHO and went to the beach. I needed to get away from anything to do with that book.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
The collected stories of Arthur C. Clarke, a British science fiction writer I read as a teenager in the 1950's. they are all new to me now although I do remember a bit now and then.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

dakasa47
Explorer
Explorer
Queen's Consort by Lisa Hilton
David and Marianne
2010 Tundra
2007 FunFinder 21'

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
Finishing The Long Summer by Brian Fagan.

quoyfab
Explorer
Explorer
The stranger in the woods - Michael Finkel

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Compendiums of SciFi short stories.

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
The Morning the Earth Shook, by J.L. Curtis.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
I buy lots of used books about the civil war. More than I wanted to read but the last month I sorted them out and have been reading them. I am on my eleventh book now. Glad that I knew the time would come when I would want to read them.

I have seven or eight books about WWI that I might read when I am tired of the Civil War.