cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wheel chocks - Best for trailer?

John_S2
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 27’ Airstream trailer and have had bad experiences with plastic wheel chocks that fit under the dual wheels.

Are there better wheel chocks that are recommended?

In looking online there are some that expand between the tires/wheels. Are those better? If so which brand is best?

Any and all suggestions and tips are appreciated.

TIA. John S
John & Peg S.
99 Coachman Class C - 24ft
42 REPLIES 42

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I have the venerable Rotos but still use the yellow plastic wedges if on any significant incline.

If spending money today I would skip the X and go with the dual wedges that are spread between the tires on the ground.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
The rubber chocks from Harbor Freight actually are pretty darned good chocks. I keep a set in the trailer, but use RotoChoks. The rubber chocks are just a back-up plan.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
The onestep chock by fastway looks interesting.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using the cheap plastic ones for years, so far the sky hasn't fallen and my trailer hasn't exploded.

I don't go out of my way to park where my trailer would be prone to roll away.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Totally disagree with using just X-Chocks for securing any dual axle trailer, just as does the manufacturer Norco which warns to not use their X-Chocks as a "parking brake". The reason - tires shrink noticeably as they cool so X-Chocks installed when you set up will loosen considerably and lose grip on the tires. Regardless, there will always be those who spoof this warning and recommend X-Chocks for a use for which they're not intended. :S

Note Included with Every Set of BAL X-Chocks

My preference for securing the trailer and absolutely preventing it from inadvertently shifting regardless of site slope is a set of BAL Standard Tire Locking Chocks. I used them for years on my previous K-Z Spree and even had to modify a set to fit between the tires on my current Coachmen but they're superior by far to any other method of securing the trailer. The X-Chocks are used for the purpose for which they're designed - to prevent the tires from rotating about their axis and thereby minimize camper wiggle when someone walks around inside the camper. :B

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using these since our first travel trailer with tandem axles. Never had a problem with them, trailer(s) never moved. I have one for each side.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Buy a set of 'X-Chocks'......one for each side

After leveling side to side BEFORE unhitching then install X-Chocks TIGHT

Then after unhitching and leveling front to back go RE-TIGHTEN the X-chocks

X2
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Buy a set of 'X-Chocks'......one for each side

After leveling side to side BEFORE unhitching then install X-Chocks TIGHT

Then after unhitching and leveling front to back go RE-TIGHTEN the X-chocks
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately the best one, Rotochoks, are no longer made. I'm holding onto mine for dear life. The ones that fit between the tire are the way to go.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
John S wrote:
Have a 27’ Airstream trailer and have had bad experiences with plastic wheel chocks that fit under the dual wheels.

Are there better wheel chocks that are recommended?

In looking online there are some that expand between the tires/wheels. Are those better? If so which brand is best?

Any and all suggestions and tips are appreciated.

TIA. John S

While driving commercial vehicles my employer mandated the use of chocks on very stop whereby the operator had to leave the driver's seat.

We used these, and I still do. Four of them, two on each side of the RV.

2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4 cut at a 45 degree angle works for me . The expanding chocks are not meant to keep a trailer from rolling . They are to keep the trailer from rocking .

Kennedycamper
Explorer
Explorer
Google Roto Chock. Not cheap, but the best.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Harbor Freight has some good chocks in different sizes, better than those cheap plastic things. I always chock my trailer.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE