cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When to remove old Dicor

jspence1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm resealing my TT today and am wondering at what point you need to remover the old dicor. When I went up to check it I found the previous owner had used silicone over the dicor and then dicor over the silicone after getting to the bottom of it I found this and am wondering if I should remove it all and start over or can I just go over top of this.

12 REPLIES 12

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shot-N-Az wrote:
jspence1 wrote:
Weldon wrote:

Your insurance devalued the trailer? What was their reasoning....just curious.

The adjuster and the appraiser claimed it wasn't the proper material for doing the job.

Those two people are (being polite here)mistaken, and they need to take a look at how Newmar and other reputable manufacturers seal the front and rear caps of their motorhomes.

I think your insurance company was not being forthright with you.

Yep his insurance company took him to the cleaners so to speak and Eternabond is a common way to seal the seams on slideouts on trailers that use Dicor elsewhere. It's not commonly used at the factory IMO because of cost and time and not recommended by dealers/service centers because it is harder to remove when doing repairs and cuts into their cash cow of the frequent inspections and maintenance needed to maintain trailers that use DICOR. Finally, it is a standard in sealing EDPM rubber roofs in the regular roofing world and TT that use EDPM for roofing materials are not really an exception.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
With silicone in the mix it is hard to say but normally the recommendation from Dicor is to clean the old material and the just apply new over old. Old rag with just damp mineral spirits will clean the old Dicor easily. Let the mineral spirits evaporate before applying new.

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
jspence1 wrote:
Weldon wrote:

The adjuster and the appraiser claimed it wasn't the proper material for doing the job.

Those two people are (being polite here)mistaken, and they need to take a look at how Newmar and other reputable manufacturers seal the front and rear caps of their motorhomes.

I think your insurance company was not being forthright with you.

jspence1
Explorer
Explorer
Weldon wrote:

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
jspence1 wrote:
Weldon wrote:
Consider removing the old dicor then cover the area with eternabond tape. Then, you won't have to ever do it again.

I did that on my last trailer. However when I made an insurance claim they devalued the trailer because it was done. It took a long time to deal with that one issue I think I will stick to dicor from now on.

But thanks to all for the help!

1fastdad
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO you should remove all the old sealer every time and clean the surface withn a good alkahol based cleaner befor you reseal. A lot of times the problem is water getting under the edge of the sealant and leaking in.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I think before you cover the old with the new you should at least clean the dirt off the old for better adhesive

jspence1
Explorer
Explorer
Now for the next question....Do you fill the little holes in the fridge vent cover with dicor or do they stay open. They had silicone in them when I took it off.

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
With silicone in the mix I think I would remove everything an start over fresh. Nothing sticks to silicone including silicone.

jspence1
Explorer
Explorer
Weldon wrote:
Consider removing the old dicor then cover the area with eternabond tape. Then, you won't have to ever do it again.

I did that on my last trailer. However when I made an insurance claim they devalued the trailer because it was done. It took a long time to deal with that one issue I think I will stick to dicor from now on.

But thanks to all for the help!

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
You can apply dicor over dicor -- done all the time.
Kevin