cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Will this void warrenty?

bkick
Explorer
Explorer
MY Dodge ram 1500 diesel rear settles quite a bit when I tow my fifth wheel. If I install the Air Ride air bags will this void the warranty? The trailer is below the limits allowed according to the manual. I only want the truck and trailer to be level as this makes for a safer drive.
Bkick
33 REPLIES 33

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Executive wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
I have seen the most 1/2 ton/5'er combos on this trip than I've ever seen! And not one of them looked overloaded! I think many of the people here have been brainwashed into thinking a 1/2 ton isn't capable of anything more than a PuP.

I fall into the ---it only has to happen once and I don't want it to be me --- category....:)

Anything can happen to anyone at anytime regardless of how much we do to try and make it not happen.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:
I have seen the most 1/2 ton/5'er combos on this trip than I've ever seen! And not one of them looked overloaded! I think many of the people here have been brainwashed into thinking a 1/2 ton isn't capable of anything more than a PuP.

I fall into the ---it only has to happen once and I don't want it to be me --- category....:)
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Read your 1500 EcoDiesel manual, you will find a section that says you will void your warranty if you pull any fifth wheel. The manual states that the 1500 EcoDiesel is not design to pull a fifth wheel.
I owned a 2014 EcoDiesel for a year, my Limited only had a cargo payload of 895 pounds and max tow rating of 8,600 pounds. I have since upgraded to a Ram 2500 Diesel because I plan on upgrading to a fifth wheel soon.
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
as terrible as this forum makes it sound, it seems to happen A LOT. almost every hook-up campground i've been to has a fifth wheel hitched to a 1/2T truck. either that or it's a slide in camper, and the truck is driving with the bed resting on the bump-stops.

but i don't see mention in the paper every day of one light truck after another wrecking from towing a fiver ... so what gives? are these folks super lucky, are the newspapers covering it up to aid RV dealers, or what?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
bkick wrote:
MY Dodge ram 1500 diesel rear settles quite a bit when I tow my fifth wheel. If I install the Air Ride air bags will this void the warranty? The trailer is below the limits allowed according to the manual. I only want the truck and trailer to be level as this makes for a safer drive.
This HAS to come under the "You gotta be kidding me" category.:R
NO WAY a RAM 1500 diesel can handle a fiver over 5000#!
(Assumes a 1000# pin weight and 500# of passengers, fuel and "stuff")
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
Put the airbags on. It will help with sag and steady the load. I have had them on all my tow vehicles. Have them on the current truck...
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
"But the RV dealer said I could tow anything with a diesel!"
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
^ That's right Dennis. Raising the COG by leveling the truck is not "safer".
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I can't think of many 5ers other than Scamp 19 that would not put a 2009+ Ram half ton over GVWR. Regardless, the warranty question - no aftermarket products will void OEM warranties unless the part is proven to cause an issue. this may be useful.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Question for you fiver guys...adding air springs to an already overloaded truck with stability problems wouldn't necessarily FIX those problems would it. It seems it may exacerbate the issues more. Is that correct??...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
OPs profile shows 2 FWs

2005 Savoy 29 RKS for 'traveling'..........GVWR 9950#

And

2015 Heartland 3700 that is now our home

The 2005 will be overweight...but shouldn't be excessive
Hopefully that is what OP is towing and the 2015 Heartland stays parked/

Either one is over for gvwr and gcwr I suspect...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
OPs profile shows 2 FWs

2005 Savoy 29 RKS for 'traveling'..........GVWR 9950#

And

2015 Heartland 3700 that is now our home

The 2005 will be overweight...but shouldn't be excessive
Hopefully that is what OP is towing and the 2015 Heartland stays parked/
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
His profile shows a Heartland 37. If that means it's 37 feet long, that's WAY overweight for his truck.

I think you're correct in that assumption.

From looking at Ram website, the truck has max payload of 1501 lbs, and max tow about 9100 lbs. If the rear end is 3.55, tow capacity is only 8100.

I looked at several sites listing Heartland 3700s. All had pin weights near 2500 lbs. Some were closer to 2800. All had gross weights at or above 15000 lbs.

If those numbers are correct, the truck is not overloaded by just a little, but, overloaded by a lot. It's over on towing capacity, payload, GVWR, GCVWR, and most likely axle weights and tire loading.

As far as voiding warranty, adding airbags would not do that. However, overloading could, and airbags won't fix that.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any fiver is going to exceed mfg GVWR/GCWR/GAWR. so what's your question again?