cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are tents next to RV at campgrounds okay?

FloridaKash
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious if most campgrouns/rv parks are okay with a tent or two being pitched next to an RV while at a campground. Looking at bunkhouses, but would really like to have the comfortable space instead. But if we didn't do a bunkhouse the kids would be outside in tents sometimes...weather permitting of course.

Do most places approve of this? Do they charge extra? If so, typically how much more?

Thanks!
Family of 5 full timing
2008 Bounder 38p - WH Chassis
Stehl Tow Dolly
2005 Honda Accord
32 REPLIES 32

crazycroc
Explorer
Explorer
I've been to two camp grounds with an RV and both allowed extra tents, maybe it depends how spacious the camp ground is because I usually look beforehand to see whether it looks cramped or not.
A community for camping and outdoors enthusiasts: Camping Babble

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
MO state parks generally have a 3 roof rule. 2 vehicles 1 tent, 2 tents 1 vehicle, etc. Campground host has ultimate say and most are pretty lenient if you're a decent camper.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

DennisN
Explorer
Explorer
Rules for sc state parks are 2 tents or 1 camper and 1the tent but not more than 6 people or 1 familly which ever is bigger and. Total of 2the vehicles per site. Dogs on 6 foot leash or teathered on campsite welcome.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a matter of fact, DW & I along with another couple, each couple in their own van, van campers, were in MN and wanted to share a campsite. We were told that we couldn't unless we had a tent. It appears that two vans are not permitted on one campsite, but two vans and a tent is OK!!! Go figure.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
To the best of my knowledge I have never been to a campground that didn't allow you to put up a tent also. I can't even think of a time (except for a one nighter) that I didn't have both an RV and a tent on the same lot.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
Many campgrounds (private) do not allow tents...One reason (there are others) is that they kill the grass.

Most public campgrounds..have no problem with tents.

How long do you have to camp to kill the grass? We have camped for a week with our camper we pulled behind our Goldwing motorcycle and never killed the grass.

You might not kill the grass in a week.

But if successive campers have tents on the grass for a season will definitely kill the grass.

Just walk though the tent area at a state or national park. You will see lots of dead grass spots if the park does not have designated tent pads - when people have killed the grass with their tents.

Private campgrounds and RV parks often do not want someone to tent camp next to their RV.

But more and more of those places are family un-friendly - charging extra fees for more than two people in the RV.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Pine5008
Explorer
Explorer
The WA and ID state parks that I frequent don't limit tents. They just ask that you keep them on the tent pad (generally gravel area with a 4x4 border). At private parks it seems like many times we are limited be available space.
Pine
2006 F350 SRW Crew Cab, 6.0
2014 Keystone Fuzion 390

chr_
Explorer
Explorer
If I came back and found my cord unplugged from the pedestal I paid to use, The offending cord would get more than a "discrete" disconnection... More like a yank and a swift toss.

I used to have an AC/DC compressor fridge. That would certainly be an issue if I came back after several hours of that thing running on my house batteries.

Campfire Time wrote:
Already been said, but yes, it varies. In WI State parks you can have as many tents on a site as you like, but you are limited to 6 adults on the site. I really never see it abused. In one of the private CGs we go to, up until last year they did not allow any tents on sites with trailers. Now they allow one tent for an extra $10 a night. There is a CG on a river in central WI that is known for tubing. It's a party park. They'll squeeze 10 tents and a 5ver on the site if they can find room.

Roy, that's funny. I've had something like that happen once, but it was the other way around. Year back in some WI state parks, electric pedestals were often shared between sites. As sites were redone, some were converted to non-electric, so people would come in and were disappointed that they didn't have electric where they might have had it a year prior. One time when we still had a PUP, we had come back after a day of hiking and had no power. Someone from the adjoining site had unplugged our cord and plugged themselves in. Needless to say, they never complained, just discretely removed their cord.
-CHR$
1996 Safari Sahara Edition 35' Diesel Pusher. Just getting the Solar stuff started.

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer
Have you thought about a Awning Screen room? You attach them to the awning and some are just like tents with privacy panels, etc?

here are a couple as example:

Vacation'r

Carefree Buena Vista
2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C
Mods: EEZRV Products TPMS, Cobra 29LX 50th Anniversary CB radio with Firestik NGP Antenna, Self contained sewer hose

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
wannavolunteerFT wrote:
Georgia State Parks allow one RV and one tent...or two tents... for a total of no more than 8 people. I think FL State Parks are the same.

That is correct. Florida is the same.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Georgia State Parks allow one RV and one tent...or two tents... for a total of no more than 8 people. I think FL State Parks are the same.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
As before it is a mixed bag. Every campground we go to allows both. But I know some don't.

Personally again the campgrounds that we go to allow tents & I do not see any dead grass other than under where trailer are parked.......

The biggest problem I see with the extra tent is you may have to put it near the neighbors sewer hook up & as always their tanks may need dumping at a bad time for the tent goers PU.... 🙂

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Sprink-Fitter:

That is certainly different than most of the trailers towed behind bikes.

Got any pictures? I would love to see them.

Again, it is the cumulative effect, not just your visit. The species of grass will determine how quick it is going to die.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
One campground I go to allows up to three tents/RVs in a combination at a site. Another allows one tent with a RV. I also go to RV parks that allow no tents anywhere.

Sometimes the limit is not the number of tents, rather the number of people using the site.

So it depends on where you are going.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B