cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is there a list of good safe dog treats on the internet?

Dave_T_
Explorer
Explorer
With all the bad press on recalled and unsafe dog treats I have been trying to find a list of the good and safe treats for our dogs. Is there a clearing house out there that has such a list? If you know of one please share it.

Made in USA does not mean it was made with ingredients from the USA.

Thanks a bunch!
Dave & Vicki Tedesco
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2008 Escape Hybrid
Brake Buddy
Falcon Tow Bar
29 REPLIES 29

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Dustytuu wrote:
Rockhillmanor wrote:

If you buy a 'real thick around 2 inches' piece of liver from your butcher and boil it in water with garlic

Garlic and onions are bad for dogs. Can make them sick and could kill them if they eat it for extended time. Dogs can not digest garlic and onions.
Also liver and rich meats can cause an effect on their pancreases and could be fatal.
Actually dogs can digest onions and garlic which is part of the problem; they absorb and then metabolize chemicals in the onions into toxins. But like all toxins it is how much is consumed relative to the toxicity level that is important.

Toxicology Brief: Allium species poisoning in dogs and cats reports 15-30g of raw onions/kg body weight to reach toxic levels. I did the conversion for you and that is about 1.5tsp of raw onion per lb body weight (an entire small onion for a 20lb dog). Much more onion then would be present in the boiled and dried liver treats. This particular toxin does not accumulated; meaning repeated and spaced in time exposures do not add to one another. There are other websites (from veterinary sources) that implied cooking the onions lessened the toxicity for dogs (not cats).

The likelihood of a dog getting pancreatitis from liver treats is probably no greater than a dog getting obesity related diseases from treats. They are treats, not their full daily caloric intake.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Dustytuu
Explorer
Explorer
Rockhillmanor wrote:

If you buy a 'real thick around 2 inches' piece of liver from your butcher and boil it in water with garlic

Garlic and onions are bad for dogs. Can make them sick and could kill them if they eat it for extended time. Dogs can not digest garlic and onions.
Also liver and rich meats can cause an effect on their pancreases and could be fatal.
2008 dodge 5500, diesel,Laramie
2008 Carriage Carri-Lite, 36SBQ, 4 slides,dishwasher,washer/dryer,2 fireplaces,6500 gen.
D & D
3 Schnauzers

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Dustytuu/

Kindness, and good manners are important.

Dustytuu
Explorer
Explorer
We give our 3 Schnauzers Pure Vita dog food. Natural, and about the best dog food made. No corn in it.
A little hard to find but if you look on Internet and find a Rep in your area they will help you find it. Or you can order it on line. Petsmart and Petco do not carry it.
This is a family owned and operated company. Made competely in USA.
Pure Vita dog food
2008 dodge 5500, diesel,Laramie
2008 Carriage Carri-Lite, 36SBQ, 4 slides,dishwasher,washer/dryer,2 fireplaces,6500 gen.
D & D
3 Schnauzers

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Dustytuu/

Kindness, and good manners are important.

Dave_T_
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos,

Thanks. We had some of those treats and the dogs loved them.

I resorted to calling manufactures and asking. Between the Dog Food Advisor website, and calling on my own, we have some confidence.

BTW, since I posted the original message, I signed up for email alerts from Dog Food Advisor, I have received two recall warnings. Site is great source.

dogfoodadvisor.com
Dave & Vicki Tedesco
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2008 Escape Hybrid
Brake Buddy
Falcon Tow Bar

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Dave T. wrote:
With all the bad press on recalled and unsafe dog treats I have been trying to find a list of the good and safe treats for our dogs. Is there a clearing house out there that has such a list? If you know of one please share it.

Made in USA does not mean it was made with ingredients from the USA.

Thanks a bunch!

Dave,
Here in KC is a local dog treat bakery called Three Dog Bakery. The Hen House store near me carries this brand, as well as some vets. It's what I get for my dog.

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
WYSONG makes dog food and treats, made in USA with organic ingredients
I have used Wysong for over 20 years
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
What, you're giving your dogs meat by products?????

I have absolutely no problem with 'freshly bought' organ meats.Boiled and chopped up organic beef hearts is number one.

I use the cooked liver bits for bait in the show ring! When it comes to winning it's no holds barred!!!!:W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Born_To_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I buy for my dog and they have a mail order service.. They are made in a home kitchen with all natural ingredients.. She will be opening a retail store in my town on June 1st. and they seem to be very popular around here...http://www.canineconfections.net/

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
What, you're giving your dogs meat by products?????
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
2007 Nash 22M

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
I could provide made in the USA doggy milk duds. They come in assorted sizes and colors (black, brown, and green). They are made in the USA from ingredients produced in the USA using "free range", "grass fed", "no growth hormones addedโ€ all American breed of sheep. They would be sun dried (not processed in some factory) and bagged by American workers (not illegals) working in healthy and enjoyable conditions.

I double dog dare ya. The dogs would LOVE that.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

lasparrot
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
If you buy a 'real thick around 2 inches' piece of liver from your butcher and boil it in water with garlic, when done and sliced into pieces it becomes dry and firm and won't leave grease spots in your pocket. And I have not met a dog that can resist boiled liver flavored with garlic! :B

Good idea, except I think my DH would file for divorce if I cooked this in the house... I used to dehydrate liver and once tripe... he was not thrilled when he walked into the house! Didn't bother me any ๐Ÿ™‚ (the smell that is).

I may still give this a try one day when I can get all the windows open (and he isn't home to stop me!).
Laura and Carm traveling with 3 dogs & 1 African Grey Congo parrot in a 2010 Titanium 30e35sa 5th wheel - love it!
Blog: pursuitofidlepleasures / A dog's perspective: Spike's Journal

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
If you buy a 'real thick around 2 inches' piece of liver from your butcher and boil it in water with garlic, when done and sliced into pieces it becomes dry and firm and won't leave grease spots in your pocket. And I have not met a dog that can resist boiled liver flavored with garlic! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

lasparrot
Explorer
Explorer
I buy hotdogs, cut them up into tiny pieces (1 hotdog = 16 - 20 treats) and dehydrate them in the microwave. They will store for ages in the fridge, and forever in the freezer. Cheap, easy, small, can stick in a pocket (if you don't mind smelling a bit like a hotdog), and the dogs LOVE them. Mine like them better even than dehydrated liver or tripe.

I know they aren't the healthiest, but we do feed them to our kids, and sometimes even eat them ourselves :-0 I generally use them for training rewards and since they are so small the dogs don't fill up on them.
Laura and Carm traveling with 3 dogs & 1 African Grey Congo parrot in a 2010 Titanium 30e35sa 5th wheel - love it!
Blog: pursuitofidlepleasures / A dog's perspective: Spike's Journal

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
I could provide made in the USA doggy milk duds. They come in assorted sizes and colors (black, brown, and green). They are made in the USA from ingredients produced in the USA using "free range", "grass fed", "no growth hormones addedโ€ all American breed of sheep. They would be sun dried (not processed in some factory) and bagged by American workers (not illegals) working in healthy and enjoyable conditions.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M