cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settling into a new country...

nabi
Explorer
Explorer
life is quite different for us now...language is a problem for me but I muddle along and people always want to help if they can...shopping for food is easy as the supermarkets are very nice, but lots of things I dont recognize , shopping at the local market is an adventure in itself LOL The weather is fantastic...everyday is warm with a breeze...the surf is harder now and we are coming into surf season...Took the wees to see the new vet and he spent over 1/2 hr going over their history, meds etc...he wanted Izzy seen by a cardiologist and immediately got on his phone and called her and made Izzy an appt...which is today...when we went to leave I asked at counter how much we owed and he came out and said.. " no charge, we only talked " and with that gave me a kiss on the cheek...two firsts for me at the vets office LOL. The wees were wanting to look over the bottom railing so a neighbour lent me all these long pots, since then I have bought many plants and some large round pots so they are foiled..no getting too close to the rail ! Buying the plants was an interesting experience..went to the nursery..bought the plants...went to another store...bought the pots..took them back to the nursery where they were planted..bought 30 small plants along with 2 20 kilo bags of dirt...the appliance clerk ( who spoke some English ) from next shop came and asked me if I wanted the nursery fellow to come to the condo and plant them LOL..I said no thanks, I can manage that much...the nursery clerk arranged for delivery...told us we didnt need to wait so we left...no bill...no receipt..nothing to say we owned the plants, pots, dirt ...and magically an hour later they were delivered right up to our condo door...such is life in Salinas EC !

28 REPLIES 28

CatandJim
Explorer
Explorer
What a wonderful update. I am so happy for you and your family.

Cat

(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
Whew....that's a relief !! Some dogs are just plain nosy, the Poodle we adopted is that way, has his nose in places he shouldn't sometimes but he is fun to watch none the less.
Enjoy!

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

dturm
nabi wrote:
Oh I am so sorry..poor sentence structure...didn't mean to cause concern...I meant she went right over to the ledge and looked over it...if she had went over, I am afraid it would have been a disaster as its 6 floors down to pavement...but the planter boxes have taken care of this problem and the wees are safe !

Kathleen

Not to be morbid, but in vet school we learned of "high rise disease" where animals (mostly cats) pushed out screens or went out of open windows. While I have no experience with this particular type of trauma, it was thought that a fall from below 7 floors was survivable given lucky circumstances (soft landing area, etc.), but above 7 was always fatal. Just a stupid factoid.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

nabi
Explorer
Explorer
Oh I am so sorry..poor sentence structure...didn't mean to cause concern...I meant she went right over to the ledge and looked over it...if she had went over, I am afraid it would have been a disaster as its 6 floors down to pavement...but the planter boxes have taken care of this problem and the wees are safe !

Kathleen

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
nabi wrote:
sher9570 wrote:
Sweet...this is definitely tropical paradise and I'm so glad you did all that with the planters, that was my only concern when I saw the first picture.

Our dogs love the beaches and even the surf, our old Zachery would get knocked over and get right back up and go again, it was fun to watch.

Now the new ones have done the same thing, even the 13 yr old Poodle!

Enjoy the sun and the sand...love to hear about the vets.

Sher

That darn Izzy went right over to the ledge..I couldnt believe it...so the planters are a God send for sure ..

Holy cow that's what I was afraid of...details, details....how far did she fall? Did she get hurt?
Lord that must have scared her pretty bad but I'm guessing she's ok.

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

nabi
Explorer
Explorer
kernewek wrote:
Glad to see that you are settling in OK.
Hope to see more updates in the future, as I am considering moving to Ecuador when I retire in a couple of years and it is nice to read about other's first hand experiences

feel free to email me..I am more than happy to answer any questions ( if I can ) we spent 2 yrs investigating the country, making contacts...it makes a big difference that just arriving blind...
I sent you my email ...

nabi
Explorer
Explorer
sher9570 wrote:
Sweet...this is definitely tropical paradise and I'm so glad you did all that with the planters, that was my only concern when I saw the first picture.

Our dogs love the beaches and even the surf, our old Zachery would get knocked over and get right back up and go again, it was fun to watch.

Sher

That darn Izzy went right over to the ledge..I couldnt believe it...so the planters are a God send for sure ..

nabi
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
What a view you have!!! So glad things are going well!!

so far so good !

nabi
Explorer
Explorer
xteacher wrote:
Glad you're happy with your dog's vets. It's reassuring that you have access to good pet care there. Wow, $1100 for a dental where you were? Yowser!!!!!

yes, isnt that a terrible amount of money...and if there were extractions needed, it was more...so far we are pleased with both the reg vet and the cardiologist..Dr Franklin wants Izzy seen by an ophthalmologist but I told him she just was checked by Dr West 2 weeks before we left so she is good for 6 months, barring any trouble...

nabi
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:

it certainly is the the view I always dreamed of..never really thought it might come true though ...

kernewek
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to see that you are settling in OK.
Hope to see more updates in the future, as I am considering moving to Ecuador when I retire in a couple of years and it is nice to read about other's first hand experiences
Kernewek
2006 Silverado 2500HD CC D/A 4x4
2007 Crossroads Zinger ZF27RL

"Just because I don't care, it doesn't mean I don't understand" Homer J Simpson

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
nabi wrote:
dspencer wrote:
So glad to hear you guys are settling in so good Nabi. Okay has the wees go there bathing suits out yet?

the very first week Izzy got knocked over by a big wave so she is a bit hesitant right now about the water LOL Zari never did go in ...this week she is finally walking on the beach without being startled by the big waves...she still wont walk on the malecon though...too scary !

Give them time and they won't give it another thought.