cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

10-22 AWG HEX Wire Crimper Tool

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-50mm-Wire-Terminal-Cable-Crimping-Ratchet-Hand-Tool-Lug-Crimper-Plier-US/...

Don't get this wrong
This isn't for everyone. I am posting it because it is a compound crimper meaning for weak arthritic hands like mine.

A proper HEX CRIMP is stronger than a () crimp or a (< crimp. It also looks better and works a lot better than an ugly conventional crimp.

This is going to be bench-mounted*. For me it would be a handful to try and use this out in the field.

This is the first HEX crimper for small wires I have seen. And it is the first compound crimper too. Those of you that love hydraulic hex crimpers for cables should take note.

*One hand opens and closes the crimper, the 2nd holds the wire with terminal in place.
4 REPLIES 4

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, I do not see this specific tool doing 10 to 22AWg crimps.

I have used my HF hydraulic crimpers smallest dies on 10-12 to get a very nice hex crimp, but it is slow.

I've been using my Anderson powerpole crimpers with the plastic portion which holds the Andersons U hook shaped portion immobilized, removed for the Yellow Blue and red connectors 10-12 14-16 and 18-22, with the insulation stripped off, and they make a very nice crimp, quickly.

My HF dies are OK upto thin walled 4awg lugs( with the largest 0awg die). i have spent time with a grinder and a file to make dies from the smalest HF Dies for 2 1 and 0 AWG thick walled lugs.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks.

The Cast terminals and lugs I use have walls three times as thick as regular cable terminals. So standard dies do not work very well.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Spridle is correct. I have one of these and it can be coaxed to crimp AWG sizes. Crimp partially, then rotate the terminal and line the flats up again then finish the crimp. Maybe even do it in three steps. If you just crimp in one go, it will ooze out terminal metal where the dies meet. I've crimped as small as 10 gauge with it and as large as 1 AWG.

Spridle
Explorer
Explorer
Correct me if i am wrong. 50mm2 is equal to somewhere around 1/0 AWG and 6mm2 is equal to somewhere between #10 and #8awg. Its close to #9 which I have never seen in the states. I assume you are making battery cables?

Its only a good deal if you can buy lugs designed for this crimper, otherwise you might end up with a loose crimp or over deformed.

I went thru this exercise with a metric hydraulic crimper from E bay. It either under crimped #2awg welding cable or over deformed with the next smaller die.

if you are doing battery cables, look at the ankor hex crimp tool because they make the lugs that match the tool in AWG.