cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

150 watts of solar using Lance factory wiring????

pirlbeck
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up 3 Kyocera KT50 50Watt panels today for almost nothing and would like to put them on my 2009 Lance 845. These are older panels that I think have been discontinued, but the person I got them from says they were never used and while it may be hard to tell, they sure look like that may be true. I have 2 Crown 31DC130 130AH batteries and may decide to add more solar watts later. This Lance will mostly be used as a traveling camper and will not spend many days in one spot, so I am hoping the larger truck wiring I installed takes care of most of my charging needs. That being said, I can also see us taking the camper off occasionally if it looks like we are going to spend several days camped in a base camp and travel to other tourist sites in the general area. I do have a generator for backup but would only like to use it as a last resort.

Here is the spec sheet on these panels.

Kyocera KC50 specs.

Anyway, I would like to use the Lance factory 12ga solar wiring from the roof down to the charge controller. I can use larger wire/cable from the controller to the batteries, so that is not an issue. I really would like to avoid pulling or routing new, larger wiring from the roof down to the solar charge controller. I installed a Trimetric 2030 and wired in a second battery that sits in the bed of the truck and pulling new wires/cables is not a lot of fun in a smaller truck camper like this 845. If possible, I would like to just plug into the Lance installed molded connector already on the roof, but if I have to remove the plug and install a roof junction box, it would not be a huge deal to me.

My main questions are as follows.

1, AM I wasting my time starting with just 150 watts? Open roof space is somewhat limited on this roof, but I think I would be able to find room for at least another 100 watts.

2, Can I wire the panels in parallel and use the 12ga Lance wiring from the roof to the charge controller. I am going to guess that the total length of this wire would be under 10ft, maybe around 7-8 ft. If I went this way I would probably use the Bogart SC-2030 as it will interface with the Trimetric 2030 I already have installed. What is the largest total watts I could get by with running with this set up?

3, Wire the panels in series and use a MPPT controller. If done this way, I would want to add some bypass diodes to the wiring to limit the effect any shading had on the output. From what I have seen, MPPT controller are more expensive then a PWM controller and Bogart does not offer one that would interface with the Trimetric. Anyone have a recommendation for an affordable MPPT controller with a remote panel?

Thanks!
2009 Lance 845
2021 Flagstaff 529RLKS 36'6" fifthwheel
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
19.5 Rickson wheels with Michelin XZE tires
Air lift bags with 72000 wireless onboard air
Hellwig Big Wig rear sway bar
Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks
Torqlift tie downs
17 REPLIES 17

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi my antivirus won't allow me to look at the specifications for the panels.

Do you know what voltage they are?

My first solar system had a scant 30 watts and it served me extremely well, so my opinion is that 150 watts is well worth doing.

For my detailed thoughts on solar, surf here:

https://freecampsites.net/adding-solar/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

OldShu
Explorer
Explorer
Are you a member of LOA (Lance Owners of America) ?

They have a whole section devoted to solar on their website for life time members.
'17 Lance 1475 w/160 w solar, Grp 31 Deep Cycl Trojan, Tire Traker TPMS, Prog. Ind. EMS-PT30C

'17 Ridgeline RTL AWD Equalizer 600/6000

Living the dream Thanks! How about you?

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
With that short a distance the #12 will be fine. It's certainly not worth pulling new wire for the very small power loss.
150 watts should be pretty good for a small TC like you have. I have 100 watts on mine and it seems to do the job quite nicely.
I would, however, wire the panels in series and use an MPPT charge controller. I know they're more expensive but I feel the additional charging output and wiring flexibility are worth it. I recommend you look at Blue Sky charge controllers.