Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3000W Chinese Gensets Info.

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
professor95 wrote:
EDIT ADDED 45/5/2013- When this thread started in March of 2005, I never expected to see it survive this long or amass the quantity of information that has been shared here.

In the eight year run of this thread we have amassed almost 10,000 postings and surpassed a million views. This creates somewhat of a dilemma for anyone who has just discovered the forum.

Since the amount of information is virtually overwhelming, I suggest you set your preferences for this thread to read "newest first" and then begin to page backwards.

What you will find in these pages is a wealth of info on virtually any make or model of Chinese manufactured synchronous (non-inverter) generator in the 3,000 watt performance class. Info will include how to rewire series coils to parallel to obtain maximum wattage from a single 120 volt outlet. Tips on further reducing sound levels, how to care for these generators, which ones are "RV ready" and provide the best overall performance for the dollar invested. Which companies NOT to deal with, where the best prices are, how to safely wire the generator into a home or RV, how to check your RV for electrical faults, sources for generator accessories, which 20/30 adapters are safe to use and which are not. How to convert a gasoline generator to propane or NG. This is only the beginning. The forum has a life of its own with the focus sub-topic switching frequently. Still, the main topic of utilizing the amazing, inexpensive Chinese gensets is always there. The amount of creativity and innovation presented in these pages is indicative of the talents shared in the diverse backgrounds of the folks who make up our combined RV community.

Many of the original brands and models of Chinese gensets mentioned in the introduction and early pages of the thread have since disappeared. New EPA and CARB emissions requirements, company bonds assuring the emissions warranty will be honored even if the company goes out of business, and fierce competition in the industry have changed the playing field. Champion Power Equipment has become the apparent "trophy team" providing an ever expanding retail outlet, an ample parts supply, a strong warranty and excellent customer service. CPE has continued to improve their product and now offers a new model (#46538) with exclusive convenience, safety and performance features aimed at the RV market. Big names like Cummins/Onan, Honda and Generac all now have Chinese built open frame synchronous gensets available. Ironically, the prices often found on these gensets has not significantly changed during the past eight years - even with the devaluation of the American Dollar and new EPA/CARB requirements.

I also encourage you to use the search function and even the advanced search options to find information. Key works such as "rewiring", "PowerPro", "Champion", "Onan Homesite", "Duropower", "ETQ", "Jiung Dong or JD", "Tractor Supply", "Costco", "Lowe's" and "Home Depot" are all examples of keywords that will give you specific information on different models being sold by retailers today.

Or, you can fill your glass with your favorite beverage (keep more close by - maybe some munchies as well :D, sit back at your computer, tell your wife (or significant other) that you will see her in the morning and spend the next 10 or so hours reading through the postings.

No one on the forum gets mad if you ask a question that is a repeat. Please do not hesitate to post to the forum. All questions are considered important and those active on the forum will do their best to respond with a valid answer.

Also note we are not out to knock the Honda, Yamaha, Kipor or other brands of high end digital gensets. We recognize the quality of these products and their suitability for quite, efficient RV use. But, there is a flood of reliable, inexpensive and comparatively lower cost gensets coming out of China that are excellent alternative choices for the RVer wanting power to run an air conditioner, microwave, etc. without excessive noise or breaking the budget.

Oh, one last thing. The folks on this forum are true gentlemen. We do not flame one another or the product discussed - period. Ugly contributors usually have their comments and remarks ignored by our masses. It is not a forum to start arguments to obtain a clear win. We do disagree on many issues, but we have all agreed to do that in a respectable manner.

We now have the introduction of more and more inverter gensets. There is a rather extensive thread named "The Official Unofficial Champion 2000i Generator" on this forum. Today, I added info on the new Champion 3100i inverter genset. Discussion on this product may get moved to its own thread at a later date.

Many have looked upon this thread with distain saying Chinese is cheap and doomed to failure. I remember saying exactly the same thing about Japanese products a few decades back. But, over the past eight years the track record for Chinese built generators has shown otherwise.

Please, join us in a fascinating journey down the Chinese built genset road of knowledge.

This is the question I posted that got it all started back in March 2005.......

Randy

For a little over a month now, I have been somewhat intrigued by the availability of a 3000 watt, 6.5 HP generator at Pep Boys and Northern Tool for under $300.00. The engine on this generator looks identical to a Honda 6.5 HP OHV engine. Knowing that the Chinese have become very adept at โ€œcloningโ€ reputable technologies from other manufacturers, I was not surprised at the similarities. Neither store could give me any information on the generator nor did they have a โ€œrunningโ€ display model.

I have done a little research. This is what I have discovered:

Many of these generators are imported by ELIM International (www.eliminternational.com) out of Buffalo, New York from Jiung Manufacturing in China. (The unit at Northern is identical but carries the JIUNG name.)

The engines are indeed a Chinese knockoff of the popular 6.5 HP 196cc Honda Engine. โ€œSupposedlyโ€ Honda has licensed the engine technology to the Chinese manufacturer of the product.

The Chinese company that makes the ELM3000 generators is a rather large, diverse, long-standing company with a reputation for โ€œabove average qualityโ€ Chinese made products (Jiung Manufacturing). There are many more Chinese companies making almost identical gensets.

The generators at PepBoys do have a six month limited warranty. But, it is only on the engine (not the generator) and requires paying for shipping to and from Buffalo. Probably not a very practical thing to do if you have warranty issues.

ELIM does supply replacement parts (a PDF parts manual is available on the ELIM web site). No prices are given for replacement parts nor is there an โ€œavailability listingโ€.

The generator head itself is a brushless design. The only really significant wear parts in the generator are the bearings โ€“ most likely universally available.

The published dB rating is 67 at 23 feet. This is โ€œreasonablyโ€ quite for a generator of this size as most comparabl.... The 67 dB rating is the same as Honda gives their 3000 watt CycloInverter with a โ€œlook alikeโ€ eng...

Professor Randy T. Agee & Nancy Agee. Also Oscar, the totally ruined Dachshund.
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.
Turbocharged, 12L, 465 HP and 1,800 ft. Lbs. of torque.
10,029 REPLIES 10,029

W8NONU
Explorer
Explorer
jlaustin wrote:
pritch272 wrote:

Is there an alternative cap that will eliminate any possible spills while venting?

You can eliminate the tank, cap,vents, and spills by converting the genset to LPG!:B
Regards,
John

Ah, yes! I want to get started on this conversion. I guess I better start researching.

Ken-55
Explorer
Explorer
pritch272 wrote:
Ken-55 wrote:
While we're talking about covers . . . I took a gamble on this one from Walmart since they offered 97 cent shipping and I could return it to my local store if it didn't fit.

Walmart generator cover

It's a little tight, but works!

I looked at that one, and it looked about an inch or so short on the 16.5" width.... Elected to not consider it.

I had the same feeling, but with 97 cent shipping and the ability to return it at the local WallyWorld, I tried it . . . it fit for me!

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking for some time for a cover for my Champion. I have the handle kit on mine and even though I've modified it to not stick out as far in the folded position it still adds 3-4" to the overall length of the unit.

pritch272
Explorer
Explorer
That is very nice, Professor, you did a really good job. All the decking around our pool is composite. I initially had wood for 10 years, then ripped it all up and replaced with composite. A little pricey, but you only have do it once.
2007 Keystone Laredo 29RL, 2000 Ford F250 7.3 PSD, Firestone bags, Pressure Pro, 16" Michelin XPS Ribs, MorRyde Pin Box, Dexter EZ-Flex, PI EMS-HW30C, Dirt Devil CV950 Central Vacuum, 2000W AllPower by Kipor, 4000/3500W Champion C46540

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
pritch272 wrote:
Prof, it looks like you used composite for the floor of the cargo rack, I like that idea.

Composite has become my #1 building material for RV, TV and home building additions that are exposed to the weather. It worked great for the floor or the generator/bicycle/cargo carrier.

Composite is heavy but strong. It is somewhat flexible and handles irregular contours well. It does not need painting or sealing. Main issue with composite is it will expand when hot and shrink when cold. You must maintain some spacing considering temperature.

I built the entire deck and sides on my Volvo out of composite. It will never rot! The only issue I have is that I built it when the outside temperatures were 40 degrees. At 100+ degrees it buckled some. I had to go back and remove some pieces and trim the edges on the Jointer to stop this problem.

The carrier was home-built of angle iron. 2" on the rails and 1-1/2 inch on the frame.

Photos of composite on the TV bed I built. The batteries in the middle of the bed add 1,000 amp hours of 12 VDC power. They do have a composite hinged hatch/cover (not shown). I plug them into the camper via a HD cable for both house and inverter use. The generator and solar panels (300 watt) aid in recharging them during the day. On a hot night I can run the bedroom 6,000 BTU air conditioner from the 1,500 watt inverter and the TV battery bank for two nights without full recharge. Great when you can't make noise and want to keep cool ๐Ÿ™‚

Professor Randy T. Agee & Nancy Agee. Also Oscar, the totally ruined Dachshund.
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.
Turbocharged, 12L, 465 HP and 1,800 ft. Lbs. of torque.

pritch272
Explorer
Explorer
Ken-55 wrote:
While we're talking about covers . . . I took a gamble on this one from Walmart since they offered 97 cent shipping and I could return it to my local store if it didn't fit.

Walmart generator cover

I looked at that one, and it looked about an inch or so short on the 16.5" width.... Elected to not consider it.
2007 Keystone Laredo 29RL, 2000 Ford F250 7.3 PSD, Firestone bags, Pressure Pro, 16" Michelin XPS Ribs, MorRyde Pin Box, Dexter EZ-Flex, PI EMS-HW30C, Dirt Devil CV950 Central Vacuum, 2000W AllPower by Kipor, 4000/3500W Champion C46540

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone with the "Supergen~Gentent' yet?:@

Edit:

Just checked the website 'SuperGen' products. To order check back Aug. 1st, Hummmm? And the price is $75, wonder if it's rain proof?With it's sound lowering construction, maybe it's the real deal?

jasult
Explorer
Explorer
jlaustin wrote:

P.S. - Even though it's a John Deere brand, unbelievably, it's black and not green!:B

Regards,
John

Like to see some pics ๐Ÿ™‚
Jim & Georgeanne + Lucie the beagle
"excavator" on the DieselStop.Com
1999 F350 CC LB Hydra chip
1996 F250 Powerstroke, Tony tunes, BTS trans
1995 Fleetwood Wildness 30 ft 5ver

Our Camping Pics and 5ver Album here
Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va

Ken-55
Explorer
Explorer

Walmart generator cover

jlaustin
Explorer
Explorer
Since my genset (DuroPower 3500ES) is receiver-hitch mounted, I wanted a durable cover. I found a John Deere cover on Ebay for about $40 delivered. It also "fit like a glove", but my custom hood/duct is slightly oversize on top and I have a shallow remote starter box on one end of the genset. If you happen to have a genset that is modified with external protuberances (gas regulator, etc.), this might be a good choice. I believe it was a size "medium".

It is made of extremely heavy material (? ballistic nylon?) - looks like it will last for ages - and has slits on one end that will velcro closed around folding handles if you have those on your genset.

It had sufficent length to cover wheels and all and is intended to be velcro'd to the bottom of the frame. Since my set is "semi-permanently" mounted, I took the wheels off. This allows a little of the cover to tuck under - I added grommets and a drawstring and use a bungee to hold the drawstring tight. Since my hood/top is perfectly flat and the cover fits so well, I don't have water pooling issues. Works great!

P.S. - Even though it's a John Deere brand, unbelievably, it's black and not green!:B

Regards,
John
John & Linda
2005 Pilgrim 274RL-5SS
2008 F-250
Amelia - the Welsh Terrier. Daisy, Bonny, & Rosie - the cats!

jasult
Explorer
Explorer
I bought this Weber cover part number 7453 for 19.00 at Lowes and it fits like a glove. Takes a little pulling to get it down all the way but it fits tight and price was worth it. All stores that sell weber grills carry it such as Target, Lowes and the like. I set a piece of plastic pipe cut in half and some notches to make a dome over top for water run off as Professor's pics alerted me of pooling water.
Here are some pics.
Jim & Georgeanne + Lucie the beagle
"excavator" on the DieselStop.Com
1999 F350 CC LB Hydra chip
1996 F250 Powerstroke, Tony tunes, BTS trans
1995 Fleetwood Wildness 30 ft 5ver

Our Camping Pics and 5ver Album here
Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va

bill_h
Explorer
Explorer
SonicLogic wrote:
You need to determine the brand and the model of the A/C unit you have in your RV. For example, the Coleman Mach 15 puts out 15,000 BTUโ€™s and draws about 16 amps. The Duo-Therm Brisk Air 13,500 BTU A/C draws about 14.5 amps. Once you know the brand and the model, you can look up the specifications on the Internet.

Many AC units have the information on a tag inside, usually seen when the filter or interior shroud is removed.
NOTE: Any incorrect spelling is intentional to prevent those annoying popups.

84 Barth 30Tag powered by HT502/Thorley/Weiand etc, Gear Vendors OD.
Siamese Calvin and Airedale Hobbes, 4WD Toyota toad

jlaustin
Explorer
Explorer
pritch272 wrote:

Is there an alternative cap that will eliminate any possible spills while venting?

You can eliminate the tank, cap,vents, and spills by converting the genset to LPG!:B
Regards,
John
John & Linda
2005 Pilgrim 274RL-5SS
2008 F-250
Amelia - the Welsh Terrier. Daisy, Bonny, & Rosie - the cats!

blkfe
Explorer
Explorer
pritch272 wrote:
Prof, it looks like you used composite for the floor of the cargo rack, I like that idea.

Ironically, just today pulled from the attic the old boat cover, (I don't need it anymore as I keep the boat in a 36 foot garage), the old cover has seen 7 years of use, and has been sewn many times (with dental floss). Anyhow, I needed a new cover for the champ as the old one (a cheap grill cover) tore, so I started cutting out pieces. Got out the sewing machine and am making a cover. Champion wanted $24.95 for a cover, plus almost $12 to ship it. Not going to pay that, not now, anyway. I'll post some pics when finished.

Growing up on a farm we always "made" everything we could. To this day it just about kills me to take a vehicle anywhere for repair. Buy all means, post pictures of your finished cover!

Brad

MrWizard
The outlet has power,, its useable if all you need is a small load, you cannot run the air & a skill saw, you could run a drop light or an aux low amp charger, the rotesiory on the bbgrill , radio tv etc..
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s