Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3000W Chinese Gensets Info.

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
professor95 wrote:
EDIT ADDED 45/5/2013- When this thread started in March of 2005, I never expected to see it survive this long or amass the quantity of information that has been shared here.

In the eight year run of this thread we have amassed almost 10,000 postings and surpassed a million views. This creates somewhat of a dilemma for anyone who has just discovered the forum.

Since the amount of information is virtually overwhelming, I suggest you set your preferences for this thread to read "newest first" and then begin to page backwards.

What you will find in these pages is a wealth of info on virtually any make or model of Chinese manufactured synchronous (non-inverter) generator in the 3,000 watt performance class. Info will include how to rewire series coils to parallel to obtain maximum wattage from a single 120 volt outlet. Tips on further reducing sound levels, how to care for these generators, which ones are "RV ready" and provide the best overall performance for the dollar invested. Which companies NOT to deal with, where the best prices are, how to safely wire the generator into a home or RV, how to check your RV for electrical faults, sources for generator accessories, which 20/30 adapters are safe to use and which are not. How to convert a gasoline generator to propane or NG. This is only the beginning. The forum has a life of its own with the focus sub-topic switching frequently. Still, the main topic of utilizing the amazing, inexpensive Chinese gensets is always there. The amount of creativity and innovation presented in these pages is indicative of the talents shared in the diverse backgrounds of the folks who make up our combined RV community.

Many of the original brands and models of Chinese gensets mentioned in the introduction and early pages of the thread have since disappeared. New EPA and CARB emissions requirements, company bonds assuring the emissions warranty will be honored even if the company goes out of business, and fierce competition in the industry have changed the playing field. Champion Power Equipment has become the apparent "trophy team" providing an ever expanding retail outlet, an ample parts supply, a strong warranty and excellent customer service. CPE has continued to improve their product and now offers a new model (#46538) with exclusive convenience, safety and performance features aimed at the RV market. Big names like Cummins/Onan, Honda and Generac all now have Chinese built open frame synchronous gensets available. Ironically, the prices often found on these gensets has not significantly changed during the past eight years - even with the devaluation of the American Dollar and new EPA/CARB requirements.

I also encourage you to use the search function and even the advanced search options to find information. Key works such as "rewiring", "PowerPro", "Champion", "Onan Homesite", "Duropower", "ETQ", "Jiung Dong or JD", "Tractor Supply", "Costco", "Lowe's" and "Home Depot" are all examples of keywords that will give you specific information on different models being sold by retailers today.

Or, you can fill your glass with your favorite beverage (keep more close by - maybe some munchies as well :D, sit back at your computer, tell your wife (or significant other) that you will see her in the morning and spend the next 10 or so hours reading through the postings.

No one on the forum gets mad if you ask a question that is a repeat. Please do not hesitate to post to the forum. All questions are considered important and those active on the forum will do their best to respond with a valid answer.

Also note we are not out to knock the Honda, Yamaha, Kipor or other brands of high end digital gensets. We recognize the quality of these products and their suitability for quite, efficient RV use. But, there is a flood of reliable, inexpensive and comparatively lower cost gensets coming out of China that are excellent alternative choices for the RVer wanting power to run an air conditioner, microwave, etc. without excessive noise or breaking the budget.

Oh, one last thing. The folks on this forum are true gentlemen. We do not flame one another or the product discussed - period. Ugly contributors usually have their comments and remarks ignored by our masses. It is not a forum to start arguments to obtain a clear win. We do disagree on many issues, but we have all agreed to do that in a respectable manner.

We now have the introduction of more and more inverter gensets. There is a rather extensive thread named "The Official Unofficial Champion 2000i Generator" on this forum. Today, I added info on the new Champion 3100i inverter genset. Discussion on this product may get moved to its own thread at a later date.

Many have looked upon this thread with distain saying Chinese is cheap and doomed to failure. I remember saying exactly the same thing about Japanese products a few decades back. But, over the past eight years the track record for Chinese built generators has shown otherwise.

Please, join us in a fascinating journey down the Chinese built genset road of knowledge.

This is the question I posted that got it all started back in March 2005.......

Randy

For a little over a month now, I have been somewhat intrigued by the availability of a 3000 watt, 6.5 HP generator at Pep Boys and Northern Tool for under $300.00. The engine on this generator looks identical to a Honda 6.5 HP OHV engine. Knowing that the Chinese have become very adept at โ€œcloningโ€ reputable technologies from other manufacturers, I was not surprised at the similarities. Neither store could give me any information on the generator nor did they have a โ€œrunningโ€ display model.

I have done a little research. This is what I have discovered:

Many of these generators are imported by ELIM International (www.eliminternational.com) out of Buffalo, New York from Jiung Manufacturing in China. (The unit at Northern is identical but carries the JIUNG name.)

The engines are indeed a Chinese knockoff of the popular 6.5 HP 196cc Honda Engine. โ€œSupposedlyโ€ Honda has licensed the engine technology to the Chinese manufacturer of the product.

The Chinese company that makes the ELM3000 generators is a rather large, diverse, long-standing company with a reputation for โ€œabove average qualityโ€ Chinese made products (Jiung Manufacturing). There are many more Chinese companies making almost identical gensets.

The generators at PepBoys do have a six month limited warranty. But, it is only on the engine (not the generator) and requires paying for shipping to and from Buffalo. Probably not a very practical thing to do if you have warranty issues.

ELIM does supply replacement parts (a PDF parts manual is available on the ELIM web site). No prices are given for replacement parts nor is there an โ€œavailability listingโ€.

The generator head itself is a brushless design. The only really significant wear parts in the generator are the bearings โ€“ most likely universally available.

The published dB rating is 67 at 23 feet. This is โ€œreasonablyโ€ quite for a generator of this size as most comparabl.... The 67 dB rating is the same as Honda gives their 3000 watt CycloInverter with a โ€œlook alikeโ€ eng...

Professor Randy T. Agee & Nancy Agee. Also Oscar, the totally ruined Dachshund.
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.
Turbocharged, 12L, 465 HP and 1,800 ft. Lbs. of torque.
10,029 REPLIES 10,029

crab80
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased this Powermax 4400/3500 gen set a few years ago to keep at home for emergencies and whenever needed. I stumbled onto this thread and was intrigued by the interest and discussions on these size generators. I have not read all of them, just the more recent ones. I was wondering how this model compares to the Champions and others and if anyone has any experiences with the Powermax generators. It has the 6.5 hp engine. It does not have the 30 amp RV plug in. I may use this one for my TT sometime when dry camping and charging batteries is necessary and noise is not a problem. -Lee

2010 Jayco 28BHS
2004 Chevy 1500 Ext.Cab 5.3L, 3.73, Bilsteins, Timbren SES
Reese Dual Cam
Prodigy P3

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
For the Prof who is re-powering everything with a CPE engine:
Fieros next?

Also for those brand wars (and your HDT)- a friend had an MDT with the decal which most certainly have seen (4 x 4 guys love 'em) -
- the little guy in a hat peeing on whatever "other" brand of truck.
MDT guy modified it to make the "recipients" Chevy, Dodge, & Ford.

~

HF genny - and the coupon.
Usually no (20% off) coupons on something already on sale - but always worth a try!

Note: If you have the opportunity to meet your HF manager (the *real* mgr), he *may* be a good guy to know!
In my neck of the woods there are 3 HF's which are about the same travel distance. World of difference between two of them - never visited the third.

Accidentally met and chatted with the mgr of the "quality" store - due to complimenting him on "his" store.
Very informative guy relating info about the stores, shipments from China, etc. (Incl store mgr hiring practices, LOL).
Of course we BS'd about ocean fishing, etc. also.

While we were talking somebody asked about a price on some "one only" item - and he gave him a *much* better deal than the sale price right then and there.

To get back on topic (lifting gens & hitches) -
"jlaustin" we need pics of that building, with or w/o the crane!

~

JC

rustycopperball
Explorer
Explorer
a screaming little devil:B but it's a blue one!

bill_h
Explorer
Explorer
msmd1 wrote:

I read some of the reviews on harbor freight's website. For what it is, the reviews are overwhelmingly positive!

I am not speaking for or against the gen, but many sellers (CW, for one) control which reviews are posted which are not posted.

Some even post reviews of their own, disguised as a customer.
NOTE: Any incorrect spelling is intentional to prevent those annoying popups.

84 Barth 30Tag powered by HT502/Thorley/Weiand etc, Gear Vendors OD.
Siamese Calvin and Airedale Hobbes, 4WD Toyota toad

msmd1
Explorer
Explorer
jlaustin wrote:
AND NOW, WHAT WE'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR ...

THE DISPOSABLE GENERATOR!

Guess I was lying about deferring to Jay Leno!:B

Regards,

John

I read some of the reviews on harbor freight's website. For what it is, the reviews are overwhelmingly positive! With a 20% coupon, the thing would only be $64.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Only 91 db. That ought to get the red and blue snobs excited.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

jlaustin
Explorer
Explorer
AND NOW, WHAT WE'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR ...

THE DISPOSABLE GENERATOR!

Guess I was lying about deferring to Jay Leno!:B

Regards,

John
John & Linda
2005 Pilgrim 274RL-5SS
2008 F-250
Amelia - the Welsh Terrier. Daisy, Bonny, & Rosie - the cats!

bill_h
Explorer
Explorer
jlaustin wrote:
bill h wrote:
bill h wrote:

I have an open frame Honda that is a real barker.

jlaustin wrote:
Well, I'm sure all of those "Honda then, Honda now, Honda FOREVER" diehards would swear your gennie was 10 db quieter if they saw that Honda label!:B

No way. Not this one. It is every bit as loud as the other open frame ones, no matter where they are made.

Ummmm ... I think you didn't get my "joke"! I mean't some Honda owners are soooo prejudiced that if they saw a Chinese gennie with a fake Honda label (the Professor's joke), they would immediately perceive that it was a quieter generator!

Guess I'll leave jokes to Jay Leno.:o

Regards,
John

Actually, I didn't think you were joking. Your point is well taken that there are people with excessive brand loyalty out there, and it often can influence a person's perceptions. This seems to affect owners of more than one color generator.

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
jaustin wrote:

Regards,
John

Hummm...... Let's see.

John to Jay - "Hey, it was just a little joke!"

Jay to John - "Yea, extremely little." :S

Actually John - I got it first time around. It falls in with the Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge ideology arguments. Over on the HDT Escapees forum we have the same thing on Volvo vs. Peterbuilt vs. Freightliner. :B

I'v thought about putting one of each logo in a row on the front hood. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.

jlaustin
Explorer
Explorer
bill h wrote:
bill h wrote:

jlaustin wrote:
Well, I'm sure all of those "Honda then, Honda now, Honda FOREVER" diehards would swear your gennie was 10 db quieter if they saw that Honda label!:B

No way. Not this one. It is every bit as loud as the other open frame ones, no matter where they are made.

Ummmm ... I think you didn't get my "joke"! I mean't some Honda owners are soooo prejudiced that if they saw a Chinese gennie with a fake Honda label (the Professor's joke), they would immediately perceive that it was a quieter generator!

Regards,
John
John & Linda
2005 Pilgrim 274RL-5SS
2008 F-250
Amelia - the Welsh Terrier. Daisy, Bonny, & Rosie - the cats!

bill_h
Explorer
Explorer
bill h wrote:

jlaustin wrote:

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
bill h wrote:
There are a lot of rattletraps out there truly powered by Honda.

SNIP

Bill is right. There is no magic to a GX engine design just because it has the Honda name.

I think it was March of '05 that we started this thread. JD was the big Chinese small engine company. Champion Power Equipment was just getting started and was a really little player in the Chinese genny field.

The Honda GX160 was introduced to the world in 1991. It was a design that actually was more similar to the defunct Clinton engine than the perfectly vertical flat head small horizontal shaft engines being used at the time. The OHV arrangement was considered absolutely revolutionary for the small engine market.

It did not take long for Honda to expand the GX line to include larger displacement engines - like the GX200 and GX390.

I tried to verify how the Chonda (Chinese copy of Honda) engine came to be. There were reports of Honda's patent on the GX engine expiring. I could find no truth to verify this - as far as I know the Honda patent is still there and had a 50 year lifespan that expires in 2041. Another report was that JD licensed the GX type engine from Honda and even built them for Honda. Again, never could find proof the report was true.

As far as I know Honda GX engines were never built in China. They did move their manufacturing of the GX series to Thailand in 2002 (no, they are no longer made in Japan). Honda does have a large facility in China, but I do not know what they make.

Anyway, the Chinese apparently took the GX engine and reverse engineered it. That is a nice way of saying that they copied or stole the design. Why Honda did not or could not enforce patents is unclear. But in '95 or '96, which is the date I believe the Chinese began to make GX copies, patents were difficult to enforce in China. In fact, they still are.

The GX design engine is now the mainstay of the Chinese small engine manufacturing world. Ironically, some companies have actually improved on the Honda design - CPE being one I am aware of with a redesigned valve rocker assembly, double lip crank oil seal, and non-stick oil level float being the most prominent. But, CPE does not make any connection to Honda's design in their engines. In fact - they openly say it is not Honda based! One look tells you different.

The Chinese did design the large three chamber muffler commonly used on their generators. It was not a Honda item. The muffler was considerably quieter than OEM Honda pipe frame power equipment like generators that made them much quieter than those with true Honda engines.

Northern Tool was a big seller of generators carrying the North Star logo with everything except the engine built by a 3rd party in China. They then bolted on the real Honda engine.

If you really want to know about the durability of the real Honda GX160 compared to the Chonda you should visit some of the go-cart racing forums. There is a real mix of opinions there as to the quality of the Chonda GX160 and GX200. One of the weak spots of the real Honda is in the block. Oddly enough the block cracking problem doesn't appear in the Chonda GX engines - go figure!

What it really comes down too is how well the engine is built. Most of these engines are bought as unfinished castings from one of two major foundries and stampings from dozens of companies. The companies then do their own machining and assembly. Problems with so called inferior steel and aluminum for cranks, rods, pistons, etc. seems to be a myth as well. The structural integrity of these components is comparable or equal to the Honda components.

Honda also introduced the GC160 engines (Note: GC not GX), which the Chinese did NOT copy, as a low cost competitor and exact fit replacement for the 5 hp Briggs engine. The GC did not have a cast iron sleeve in the cylinder and was a OHV vertical cylinder engine. They were NOT very durable engines.

I guess the bottom line is the Chinese GX engine is an extremely strong, durable engine built from the Honda design. Some Chinese companies do not have the machining or assembly quality of their competitors nor do they test their assembled engines - these are the ones that give the Chonda a bad name.

Those that say the Thailand built Honda GX is a better and perhaps quieter engine simply are victims of advertising and brand recognition hype. They also have deper pockets as the Honda name on a GX engine doubles the price.

Ain't no difference is sound from the engine unless a defferent muffler like the Chinese actually made themselves is used. The Chinese were able to knock 5+ dba off with just the muffler.

I have one real Honda GX160 engine that is running a CPE carburetor, (Honda wanted $100, CPE $32) a Honda GC160 with a broken crank (end 1" just snapped off), A Champion GX160 on a water pump, a Chonda GX200 on a Track Vac (replaced a blown Briggs), a CPE GX200 on my pressure washer (Briggs died), of course - on the Generator(s) and I am in the process of converting my vertical shaft Tecumseh powered 22 ton log splitter to a Horizontal shaft GX200 CPE electric start engine. I put a CPE carburetor on the Tecumseh when I discovered it had a EPA regulated non-rebuildable unit that required buying a new carburetor (not a kit) for $76 plus shipping.

A 206CC 5hp Briggs still powers my rototiller and my three riding mowers are Kohler powered. Two of the Kohler engines have been replaced.

Out of the entire lot of small gasoline engine powered equipment, the Chinese GX style engines are giving the best service and are the easiest and quickest to get parts for. I call CPE, give my CC# and in 3 days or less my part is delivered to my door - again for a fraction of what a real Honda, Briggs, Kohler or Tecumseh part costs.

rex_529
Explorer
Explorer
daystream got one too. today ran it. a prolem on starting.
followed inst on starting put choke on put on run when starts. veery hard to start. also tried to restart directly after runing with a hot engine. again very hard to start. called tech they said to put choke on cold or hot. pull 1 time. put on run whether running or not. pull again .

i did that and started fine cold or hot. hope this may be of help. by the way the unit seems pretty quite to me. best regards.

77charger
Explorer
Explorer
jlaustin wrote:

As has been stated before, it's the perception that counts!:W

Regards,
John

Maybe not quiter but alot longer lasting generator.My champ only lasted a couple of years of frequent use.
My duropower with the JD engine lasted shorter.

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
professor95 wrote:
daystrom wrote:
I got a new toy! Permission to join this exclusive group?

It's not exclusive and you sure as heck don't need permission. Just a bunch of good old boys swappin' stories and ideas about Chinese generators.

Welcome aboard! :B

Oh, and congratulations for joining the CCS. (As Floyd says, "The Champion Cheering Squad" :B)

Prof,

I belong to the CCC's' as in 'Champion Cheering Crowd.'

but, I own a old C46540 that purrs along at about 60 dBA with some added help. It will operate my A/C and other stuff all at the same time, microwave too. It's been real fine and kept me in some fun. And on the thread for over three great years! thanks,

O&S
Floyd