Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3000W Chinese Gensets Info.

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
professor95 wrote:
EDIT ADDED 45/5/2013- When this thread started in March of 2005, I never expected to see it survive this long or amass the quantity of information that has been shared here.

In the eight year run of this thread we have amassed almost 10,000 postings and surpassed a million views. This creates somewhat of a dilemma for anyone who has just discovered the forum.

Since the amount of information is virtually overwhelming, I suggest you set your preferences for this thread to read "newest first" and then begin to page backwards.

What you will find in these pages is a wealth of info on virtually any make or model of Chinese manufactured synchronous (non-inverter) generator in the 3,000 watt performance class. Info will include how to rewire series coils to parallel to obtain maximum wattage from a single 120 volt outlet. Tips on further reducing sound levels, how to care for these generators, which ones are "RV ready" and provide the best overall performance for the dollar invested. Which companies NOT to deal with, where the best prices are, how to safely wire the generator into a home or RV, how to check your RV for electrical faults, sources for generator accessories, which 20/30 adapters are safe to use and which are not. How to convert a gasoline generator to propane or NG. This is only the beginning. The forum has a life of its own with the focus sub-topic switching frequently. Still, the main topic of utilizing the amazing, inexpensive Chinese gensets is always there. The amount of creativity and innovation presented in these pages is indicative of the talents shared in the diverse backgrounds of the folks who make up our combined RV community.

Many of the original brands and models of Chinese gensets mentioned in the introduction and early pages of the thread have since disappeared. New EPA and CARB emissions requirements, company bonds assuring the emissions warranty will be honored even if the company goes out of business, and fierce competition in the industry have changed the playing field. Champion Power Equipment has become the apparent "trophy team" providing an ever expanding retail outlet, an ample parts supply, a strong warranty and excellent customer service. CPE has continued to improve their product and now offers a new model (#46538) with exclusive convenience, safety and performance features aimed at the RV market. Big names like Cummins/Onan, Honda and Generac all now have Chinese built open frame synchronous gensets available. Ironically, the prices often found on these gensets has not significantly changed during the past eight years - even with the devaluation of the American Dollar and new EPA/CARB requirements.

I also encourage you to use the search function and even the advanced search options to find information. Key works such as "rewiring", "PowerPro", "Champion", "Onan Homesite", "Duropower", "ETQ", "Jiung Dong or JD", "Tractor Supply", "Costco", "Lowe's" and "Home Depot" are all examples of keywords that will give you specific information on different models being sold by retailers today.

Or, you can fill your glass with your favorite beverage (keep more close by - maybe some munchies as well :D, sit back at your computer, tell your wife (or significant other) that you will see her in the morning and spend the next 10 or so hours reading through the postings.

No one on the forum gets mad if you ask a question that is a repeat. Please do not hesitate to post to the forum. All questions are considered important and those active on the forum will do their best to respond with a valid answer.

Also note we are not out to knock the Honda, Yamaha, Kipor or other brands of high end digital gensets. We recognize the quality of these products and their suitability for quite, efficient RV use. But, there is a flood of reliable, inexpensive and comparatively lower cost gensets coming out of China that are excellent alternative choices for the RVer wanting power to run an air conditioner, microwave, etc. without excessive noise or breaking the budget.

Oh, one last thing. The folks on this forum are true gentlemen. We do not flame one another or the product discussed - period. Ugly contributors usually have their comments and remarks ignored by our masses. It is not a forum to start arguments to obtain a clear win. We do disagree on many issues, but we have all agreed to do that in a respectable manner.

We now have the introduction of more and more inverter gensets. There is a rather extensive thread named "The Official Unofficial Champion 2000i Generator" on this forum. Today, I added info on the new Champion 3100i inverter genset. Discussion on this product may get moved to its own thread at a later date.

Many have looked upon this thread with distain saying Chinese is cheap and doomed to failure. I remember saying exactly the same thing about Japanese products a few decades back. But, over the past eight years the track record for Chinese built generators has shown otherwise.

Please, join us in a fascinating journey down the Chinese built genset road of knowledge.

This is the question I posted that got it all started back in March 2005.......

Randy

For a little over a month now, I have been somewhat intrigued by the availability of a 3000 watt, 6.5 HP generator at Pep Boys and Northern Tool for under $300.00. The engine on this generator looks identical to a Honda 6.5 HP OHV engine. Knowing that the Chinese have become very adept at โ€œcloningโ€ reputable technologies from other manufacturers, I was not surprised at the similarities. Neither store could give me any information on the generator nor did they have a โ€œrunningโ€ display model.

I have done a little research. This is what I have discovered:

Many of these generators are imported by ELIM International (www.eliminternational.com) out of Buffalo, New York from Jiung Manufacturing in China. (The unit at Northern is identical but carries the JIUNG name.)

The engines are indeed a Chinese knockoff of the popular 6.5 HP 196cc Honda Engine. โ€œSupposedlyโ€ Honda has licensed the engine technology to the Chinese manufacturer of the product.

The Chinese company that makes the ELM3000 generators is a rather large, diverse, long-standing company with a reputation for โ€œabove average qualityโ€ Chinese made products (Jiung Manufacturing). There are many more Chinese companies making almost identical gensets.

The generators at PepBoys do have a six month limited warranty. But, it is only on the engine (not the generator) and requires paying for shipping to and from Buffalo. Probably not a very practical thing to do if you have warranty issues.

ELIM does supply replacement parts (a PDF parts manual is available on the ELIM web site). No prices are given for replacement parts nor is there an โ€œavailability listingโ€.

The generator head itself is a brushless design. The only really significant wear parts in the generator are the bearings โ€“ most likely universally available.

The published dB rating is 67 at 23 feet. This is โ€œreasonablyโ€ quite for a generator of this size as most comparabl.... The 67 dB rating is the same as Honda gives their 3000 watt CycloInverter with a โ€œlook alikeโ€ eng...

Professor Randy T. Agee & Nancy Agee. Also Oscar, the totally ruined Dachshund.
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.
Turbocharged, 12L, 465 HP and 1,800 ft. Lbs. of torque.
10,029 REPLIES 10,029

ryanita
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be using it for the first time later this month at a race in Florida. I couldn't see spending what Honda and Yamaha want for a comparable generator.
Life must goon

fellow_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Hey My Friend Randy, Good to see your up and around Have fun in ?????? out west! yellowstone park is fine in the spring!!! take care and enjoy your retirement and the trip with the other campers on your waggon train trip..

MrWizard
Hey Prof...sorry about the health issues, but glad to see you posting on here again
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Professor

Thank you for the update. I wish you the best with your recovery.

I can tell you that having the remote start is SWEETTTTTT. I replaced our original dual voltage 3500/4000 with a remote start version last week after finding out a 3100i just wasn't going to cut it up where I camp. Touch the button and it starts itself and then applies the load. Touch it again and it cuts the load and shuts off.

I look forward to seeing you a bit more.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
Nazih wrote:
Dear Professor95,

This is related to the installation of the electric start kit for Honda Engine. I purchased the same kit from the same supplier. I was reviewing your post, and found out a discrepancy that you might be able to assist or explain. The contents of the switch box "Does it contain all the components as shown in the picture you provided with the open box and the electric diagram or you added them?".
I received the same kit as in the ad but when I opened the key start box, there are no components (Charge coil Diode, Transition Diode and the 5 Amp fuse)! Did you add them to the kit or the kit came with these components? Are they required for a simple electric start for a Go Kart? Your feedback is appreciated.
Nazih

You were short changed. Yes, the components I showed did come with my kit. No, those components are not needed for a simple ES on a go-cart. All you need is a switch to engage the starter solenoid - it can be a key switch or just a push button. Your engine has the so called Transition Diode and kill button and truthfully the charge coil is a waste of time to try to keep a battery charged. Not sure I would even want to carry a battery on a go-cart??? I just keep a small 1 amp charger on the battery for my pressure washer and use a portable battery in the golf cart and #10 jumper cables for the log splitter start. (Grandson is cutting and splitting wood for me.)

Bob came looking for me the other day and I told him I would make a post. What happened was an abscess ready to rupture on my colon. This sent me in the emergency room and 5 days in the hospital with IV antibiotics. I got 6 weeks back home on antibiotics then had to go back in the hospital to have 14" of my colon removed and another 5 day hospital stay. The big deal was the restriction to not lift more than 10 pounds for three months after surgery. This totally stopped any work or experiments on generators. I couldn't even pick up our dog. Then we spent the winter in Florida where I did not have any tools to experiment or test generators other than one stop over in Tampa at the RV Show when I used the 3500 in the Volvo to power the fiver. This allowed the DW to use the convection microwave and hair dryer while conserving battery power for quiet hour use. I can't say that I am too disappointed to be away from my workshop as we missed all the cold, snow and ice back home.

The 3100i hasn't gotten the use I expected since I cannot lift it without a hoist or the front loader on my tractor. Same for the twin 2000i gensets. They did not go to Florida with us.

Fortunately the 3100i has wheels and a handle and has an easy rope pull that starts easily. I can now roll it out on the paved driveway without too much strain. I received news that Champion has begun shipping an electric start 3100i with remote control. SuperGenProducts has been taking pre-shipment orders. I would really like to get an electric start unit or maybe the parts to convert mine (if possible)as the lifting and rope pulling needed for manual units are now out of the question for me. If I can swing an electric start 3100i I will most likely swap it out with the synchronous unit in the Volvo. IMHO, the 3100i has proven to be a really nice unit with the ability to handle significant inrush current without going into overload. Of course, the original 196cc 3,000 watt class synchronous units are like the Energizer Bunny - they just keep going and going. The CPE 46596 is darn near bulletproof and the $299 sale price that Tractor Supply occasionally advertises is a bargain.

I don't think there will be much new from me on Chinese gensets as we are heading out to the north west in a few weeks and will once again be away from the ability to disassemble and experiment. I will rely on one of the two installed electric start synchronous gensets when stopped with no shore power. The CPE 46539 in the passenger side compartment in the Volvo gets a lot more use than the LPG conversion unit in the fiver. I have it wired to supply both the Volvo and camper. Should the need arise to run two RV air conditioners I have the capability to do one from each generator. I also use the one in the Volvo to run the electric AC in the cab for our dog when we stop for a meal or shopping.

I will be sure to visit the thread more often - as long as Internet is available. Always glad to try and answer any questions from past experiences.

Thanks for your kind thoughts.
Professor Randy T. Agee & Nancy Agee. Also Oscar, the totally ruined Dachshund.
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.
Turbocharged, 12L, 465 HP and 1,800 ft. Lbs. of torque.

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Prof is posting on the Escapee HDT forum as RandyA if you need to contact him.

Jim

Unyalli
Explorer
Explorer
come back to us prof, we miss you

-Jeff
2016 Cougar 26RBI
2015 Ford F150 CC 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
fellow traveler wrote:
Hello everyone just a note to say that the latest news about the professor is he's doing better and he's traveling some and just needs time to regroup before getting back to answering teck questions on generators and such! You can wish him well on this site and he'll proably see your commments but not respond for now.

hey professor, wishing you all the best from MrRChitty.
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic
Former Auto Parts Sales 12 years

fellow_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone just a note to say that the latest news about the professor is he's doing better and he's traveling some and just needs time to regroup before getting back to answering teck questions on generators and such! You can wish him well on this site and he'll proably see your commments but not respond for now.

Clark_W__Griswo
Explorer
Explorer
Just checking in. I am an original poster/follower in this thread. My ELIM 3000 that I purchased in 2005 is still going strong! I love this unit!
I did replace the pull cord recently, but otherwise all is well. I make it a point to start the unit periodically. It has been great on our tailgating trips and has saved us a couple times during power outages.
I have been considering a new unit and it was nice to check back in on the latest buzz.
Hope everyone is well! Prof Randy- Hope you are doing well and camping much! Please check in soon!
Jeff

Camping along the Ohio River
2006 Forest River Wildcat 31 QBH 5ver
2004 Chevrolet 2500 HD Crew
2 youngins and a Beagle

Unyalli
Explorer
Explorer
rwjejits wrote:
Hope this isn't being too personal, but do miss the Professor's input on this board. Doesn't seem like he has posted lately. Hopefully he is just on an extended well deserved break and nothing else...

X2

He had some health issues a while back, hope he's still with us.
2016 Cougar 26RBI
2015 Ford F150 CC 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow

rwjejits
Explorer
Explorer
Hope this isn't being too personal, but do miss the Professor's input on this board. Doesn't seem like he has posted lately. Hopefully he is just on an extended well deserved break and nothing else...
2004 Ford F250 6.0
OEM TTYs Still Tight
210+ and Pulls Great
Original Owner- Lawrence Marshall Ford - Hempsted, Tx. (Closed 2009)
SCT, SG2, Deletes, Pyro, Free Flowing Exhaust, Timbrens, ELC & Filter

2011 Keystone Laredo 245RL

Nazih
Explorer
Explorer
Dear Professor95,

This is related to the installation of the electric start kit for Honda Engine. I purchased the same kit from the same supplier. I was reviewing your post, and found out a discrepancy that you might be able to assist or explain. The contents of the switch box "Does it contain all the components as shown in the picture you provided with the open box and the electric diagram or you added them?".
I received the same kit as in the ad but when I opened the key start box, there are no components (Charge coil Diode, Transition Diode and the 5 Amp fuse)! Did you add them to the kit or the kit came with these components? Are they required for a simple electric start for a Go Kart? Your feedback is appreciated.
Nazih

russgary
Explorer
Explorer
russgary wrote:
I just bought one of the #46598 3500/4000 champion gensets at tractor supply for 299.99 on sale. It has the 30 amp rv style plug. I don't use ac so I cannot Comment on that aspect, but the fuel economy is unbelievable, and the noise level more than acceptable. I use it mainly for battery charging and it easily runs the 200 amps total of charging all while I make coffee or use my Cook top (so far either or a 600 watt coffee maker, hotplate or 700 watt microwave). I am on my 14th hour on my first tank of gas

correction, the aps 2012 charging will not come on when connected to this generator kinda off topic but I have had 2 aps 2012 units over the years and they have both been picky with generators, 3-4 different styles of generators.. so long story short when I am using My coffee pot, gridler microwave etc in the morning I am only charging about 95 amps.

russgary
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought one of the #46598 3500/4000 champion gensets at tractor supply for 299.99 on sale. It has the 30 amp rv style plug. I don't use ac so I cannot Comment on that aspect, but the fuel economy is unbelievable, and the noise level more than acceptable. I use it mainly for battery charging and it easily runs the 200 amps total of charging all while I make coffee or use my Cook top (so far either or a 600 watt coffee maker, hotplate or 700 watt microwave). I am on my 14th hour on my first tank of gas