cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A Few Repairs of Possible Interest

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
1. The Atwood propane stove had one burner that would not light anymore when turning the sparker on the left of the row of dials.

Took the top off the stove and found the three burners, a wire to each burner's own sparker to the main sparker dial (three wires). Swapped wires at the burner end, and now the bad burner worked and the other didn't. Hmmmm. Checked burner connection tubes, and orifices, all clear. Swapped wire sets between main sparker and burners, found that it was one of the three main sparker outlets that was the weak sister, wires ok.

Bought a new three- sparker gizmo ($29 Can.) that fits in there behind the dial you twist, installed using same wires, BAM! Each burner now fires up big on the first twist! Like magic. OK, so lesson is the sparker gizmo gets tired after 11 years, and you don't need a new stove top or whatever. ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Awning going up-- the arms don't match up for fitting over one another. PITA to squeeze and bang each side till they finally fit. Read on here or somewhere you can shift the top of the awning itself over to cure that. Finally got fed up enough to be brave enough to try that.

-Raised awning, took out the two screws that hold the top of the awning in place in its slot.
- shoved it all over so now the outer arms fit over the inner arms--that made the awning top slide over in its slot an inch or so.
-screwed the two screws back in where they were before. Didn't need to drill-the screws went through the material in the slot with a bit of shoving down on them. Ta da! Way too easy. Wish I had done this long ago and saved myself some agony.

3. Day/night shades getting bad. Plastic holes the string goes through worn through so wide slots created and wide ugly holes in the day shade string runs, and strings fraying outer shrouds, jamming the strings and breaking. ๐Ÿ˜ž Hate all that! Bought lots of new string, fixed some blinds several times (solved the IQ test on how they are to be strung criss-cross, etc.) No good, new strings don't last. Fed right up!!!

Decided since we only use the night part (blinds are either up or down, never use the day see-through part, and all the trouble was that day part, just get rid of that, and make the night part go up and down no fuss no muss.

Tried it on one and it worked! The middle metal bar stays on, the bottom bar is no longer used, but the end clips with the string holes in them are needed for the new bottom bar (old middle bar) Just use the two middle strings down so those holes are filled for better privacy (end string holes are near valcances anyway) Criss cross the two strings at the new bottom bar (was four) and secure as before on wall each side. Use one plastic insert bar upside down in the new bottom bar but no strings through its holes--just to keep it all in place.

Blind (night part only now) goes up and down, stays up, no more fraying strings. Ta da! Too easy.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.
9 REPLIES 9

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
BFL, You showoff! Threat writeup!

LOL
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
On #2 (Awning) you normally slide the fabric on the roller, No screwdriver needed.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick

B-O-O-M !!!

I just gotta get around to this fix...

Thanks BFL13

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
My stove is probably older as I have the push button with the spark in the middle with three tubes going out from the middle. What I have noticed is when I perk coffee it sometimes boils over and gets under the spark bracket in the middle. I have had to remove the sht mtl bracket and clean under the there to get the spark working again. For the day/night shade my string broke also I tied it back with a square knot and glued the eye back with super glue. Also learned that if you put too many turns on the string to keep the shade from vibrating down that will cause the string to break also.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
BFL13 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Good for you........

Item #2
Material doesn't move in slot on side of trailer due to the screws at each edge so I just shifted the awning material in slot on roller to re-align.....then I installed a 1/4" screw in roller slot at edges of material.

Haven't had to re-align since

Thanks, I will check the roller slot and block it too if it isn't. If it is able to shift there then the problem could return. Unless the awning stretched, that would be how it got off kilter in the first place with the top held in place.

No joy at the roller slots. The awning has two slots on the roller, the main slot and then a second one for the flap. With no weight on the roller, awning slack, awning will not budge in those slots. So no screws need to be added there on mine.

So shifting the awning along at the top is the only way on mine. One edge of the awning has a curve in it while the other edge is fairly straight so maybe it does stretch. Be ok until it runs out of slot at the top. Almost there now. Just have to hope it stays good for a while.
Photo in Profile

austex
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
1. The Atwood propane stove had one burner that would not light anymore when turning the sparker on the left of the row of dials.

Took the top off the stove and found the three burners, a wire to each burner's own sparker to the main sparker dial (three wires). Swapped wires at the burner end, and now the bad burner worked and the other didn't. Hmmmm. Checked burner connection tubes, and orifices, all clear. Swapped wire sets between main sparker and burners, found that it was one of the three main sparker outlets that was the weak sister, wires ok.

Bought a new three- sparker gizmo ($29 Can.) that fits in there behind the dial you twist, installed using same wires, BAM! Each burner now fires up big on the first twist! Like magic. OK, so lesson is the sparker gizmo gets tired after 11 years, and you don't need a new stove top or whatever. ๐Ÿ™‚

Muchas gracias for this. I have the same issue and will proceed to test/fix from your outline. Butane match will be re-assigned...
Tom & Jessie
Central Texas
MVPRV(RIP) Coast 26LRBS TT

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, good stuff.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Good for you........

Item #2
Material doesn't move in slot on side of trailer due to the screws at each edge so I just shifted the awning material in slot on roller to re-align.....then I installed a 1/4" screw in roller slot at edges of material.

Thanks, I will check the roller slot and block it too if it isn't. If it is able to shift there then the problem could return. Unless the awning stretched, that would be how it got off kilter in the first place with the top held in place.
Photo in Profile

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good for you........

Item #2

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31