cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another Hot Water Heater problem

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have an 2001 Atwood 6 gallon water heater that will run one complete heating cycle then go into the lock out mode. If I shut off the switch then turn it back on, it works fine for another complete cycle then goes back into lock out.

I have replaced the control board, gas valve, thermostat, ECO, igniter, thermocouple and gas tube.
I have 12 plus volts at the board and have cleaned and confirmed a good ground.
Both the Thermostat and ECO switches check out fine with a continuity tester.
When itโ€™s operating, the flame is text book color. I also ran a rag through the U Tube to confirm no blockage or debris.

I did notice a voltage drop in the Red wire. 12.7 volts at board and 12.3 volts at Other end. Donโ€™t know if this matters or not but I am going to replace the connector.

I have a new regulator and manometer coming in the next day or so.

What am I missing?
Any help would be appreciated.
16 REPLIES 16

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
1. HOW do you know it is in lock out mode? Red Light ON?
2. IF in lockout, you need to check for continuity at the tstat and the ECO. They should have continuity. If they do NOT, then which has no continuity that is your problem
3. Atwood had a bad batch of Circuit boards a few years ago and attempted to withdraw all that were out for part replacement and the ones that were on NEW water heaters and suspect ones were supposed to be sent back. There is no way to determine which are good and which were the bad ones. So, just replacing may mean you got a bad one.
4. Are you POSITIVE you have the Tstat and ECO attached to the tank correctly with the spring keeping pressure and contac to the Metal tank? Doug

Why a new regulator and a manometer?

Red light is on when it goes into lockout mode.
I will cycle the water heater again to get it into lockout mode to check the thermostat and ECO.
I replaced the board about 6 weeks ago but will try to check it out. I have the troubleshooting procedure in the RV.
When I replaced the Thermostat and ECO, I used some Silver Paste, apparently to maintain a better contact with the tank. I will clean that off and re-install the parts.
New regulator because the system is 20 years old and I have had issues in the past with other RVs with oil in the lines. And itโ€™s the last part of the system to be replaced.
Manometer to check my gas pressure at the water heater.
I can return the regulator if the pressures check out.

Thanks for the info. I will give it a try and report back.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. HOW do you know it is in lock out mode? Red Light ON?
2. IF in lockout, you need to check for continuity at the tstat and the ECO. They should have continuity. If they do NOT, then which has no continuity that is your problem
3. Atwood had a bad batch of Circuit boards a few years ago and attempted to withdraw all that were out for part replacement and the ones that were on NEW water heaters and suspect ones were supposed to be sent back. There is no way to determine which are good and which were the bad ones. So, just replacing may mean you got a bad one.
4. Are you POSITIVE you have the Tstat and ECO attached to the tank correctly with the spring keeping pressure and contac to the Metal tank? Doug

Why a new regulator and a manometer?