cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best dog bone?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Is there a brand of 50 to 30A Dog bone that stands out as more robust than some others? (To clarify, a 50A rig using 30A outlet.)
I want something that isn't going to melt prematurely. BTW, This is not for my current TT.

Thanks,
Scott
10 REPLIES 10

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depending on the price of pre-fab ones, I'd be tempted to make one.

Not just from being cheap (which I am...) but I suspect the 30A male plug isn't going to last long, for the reasons others mentioned above. I'd rather replace an end, than scrap an entire dogbone.

When plugging in at a campground, I try to avoid plugging my shore tie (30A, molded male plug, coach end permanently connected) into the 30A female campground receptacle. If I can, I use a 50 to 30 dogbone that I've replaced the female with a box that has a pedestal-style receptacle in it. The molded female 30's are JUNK. Bad enough that the pedestal and the shore tie male get trashed, but the molded females are the WORST. Their contacts go bad easily then the male hot blade overheats and starts its toll on that plug.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks all!

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make sure it is UL/CSA listed instead of some unknown piece of !@#$ quality. Last time I was at a CW they had a shelf full of pigtail adapters that were non-listed. I would say Marinco/Park Power is as good as they get. Make sure when you plug into a pedestal the power is always shut off.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
rockhillmanor wrote:
I want something that isn't going to melt prematurely

Are the blades on your plug blackened?

The only way the plugs melt is if the plug blades are causing resistance.

Take something as simple as an emery board and sand down those blades until they all shine bright gold. THAT stops plugs from melting.

Not yet, I don't have one ๐Ÿ˜‰
But we're getting a new TT that's 50A and the years of RVing has taught us to buy the best stuff first.
I bought the Conntek - got a good deal on fleabay.

Thanks everyone!
Scott

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

Take something as simple as an emery board and sand down those blades until they all shine bright gold. THAT stops plugs from melting.

I agree that the heat problem is from resistance and the brand will not matter. Cleaning the plug blades is helpful but the outlet is often the problem. Since folks just yank out their plugs without turning off the electricity, the outlets are burned. I insert and remove the plug a number of times before use in an effort to wipe the contacts.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I saw somewhere (on the internet) where someone used the "pulls" (like the one Old-biscuit posted) to secure the dog bone to the pedestal. So that's what I'm going to look for when I'm in the market again!

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
My Shepard X's preferred the femur ๐Ÿ™‚
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't recall the brand, but the one I bought at Walmart has worked for me for several years with no signs of damage so far. We spend a lot of time at 30 amp only state parks, so it gets a lot of use.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Conntek #15370 (30A male to 50A female)

http://www.conntek.com/products.asp?id=1135
Is it time for your medication or mine?