cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

bring slides in

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
today I went to the TT and decided to bring in the slides this year for the winter. My TT is plugged into a 30 amp service and I have one button to bring in both slides. the bedroom comes in first then the living room slide comes in. the bedroom slide came in just fine but the living room slide started in and then the (I'll call it the panic sound) started up and when I let up on the button the vent fan came on for a second or two and the sound stopped. I pushed the "IN" button again and the slide started coming in again and after a few inches the sound came back and the fan came on again. I finally got the slide to come all the way in by stop and go method. I've never had this happen before and I am at a loose as to why it happened. My battery gauge on the wall says I have good battery and the 120v gauge also says lots of voltage. any insight for me on this thanks in advance
7 REPLIES 7

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
It may be that your resetting circuit breaker is getting weak.
If you can find it, see if it's getting hot.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
old guy wrote:
MFL wrote:
I think you mean the converter fan is coming on, after holding the button. This is likely due to over taxing of converter, which cannot handle the larger slide operation on it's own. Battery needs to be checked/tested. With a strong battery, you should be able to operate slide, without shore power.

You could test system with a known good battery, such as jumping direct from your tow vehicle battery, to see if slide operates correctly.

Jerry

not so Jerry. it is the fan in the overhead vent that comes one for a few seconds

OK, that is VERY STRANGE. Is this fan controlled by a wall switch or a remote control? Doug

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the battery and the terminals to make sure they are clean. If the battery is fully charged, and the terminal clean, check to see if there is a ground cable. Years ago when I owned a Sunline trailer, I had trouble with a slide not wanting to operate. When I looked under the slide, there was a ground cable going to the frame. I removed the bolt, cleaned the connections and the slide worked.

It might help if you provided more info on what trailer brand, slide mechanism, etc.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
I think you mean the converter fan is coming on, after holding the button. This is likely due to over taxing of converter, which cannot handle the larger slide operation on it's own. Battery needs to be checked/tested. With a strong battery, you should be able to operate slide, without shore power.

You could test system with a known good battery, such as jumping direct from your tow vehicle battery, to see if slide operates correctly.

Jerry

not so Jerry. it is the fan in the overhead vent that comes one for a few seconds

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
FYI, The battery gauge inside a RV will NEVER tell you if you have a good battery, especially if you are plugged into 120 Shore Power. You can have NO battery or a completely DEAD battery and the inside monitor battery gauge will show full battery when on 120 shore power. It just reads the 12 volt dc voltage IN the RV, which will read out what the 120 to 12 volt POWER CONVERTER is putting out. Soooo, Since you stated both slide operate off on one button, that means you have a Hydraulic slide system. Which takes a GOOD fully charged Battery to operate correctly. From your description, your battery is either bad or NOT in the loop/circuit of the RV and your Hydraulic pump was attempting to run off the output of the Power Converter, which it is not designed to do. You need to check your 12 volt battery water level and have it tested and verify that it IS being charged when plugged in. Doug

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
It may be that your resetting circuit breaker is getting weak. I don't know what sound a "panic sound" is, or what the vent fan has to do with the slide operation. I would check the battery with a meter, with shore power disconnected. If going by the lighted battery gauge on the wall, while plugged in, you are not getting actual battery state of charge.

Jerry