cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bubbling battery

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
So from my posts about a power supply charger Mexicowanderer and I think Ninerbikes stated when charging at 14.8 one should stop when the electrolyte start to bubble. So whats bubbling, a bubble floating up every now and again or are we talking boiling water?
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.
12 REPLIES 12

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
Yeah, like we all thought that "boiling battery" means that somewhere down there it must be over 212 degs F

RJ take your little finger and press GOGGLE. Oooooo good you did it.

Bit by bit, enter the word BATTERY UNIVERSITY I know you could do it.

Now root around until you find the section on battery electrolyte E-L-E-C-T-R-O-L-Y-S-I-S

Then go to Wilipedia and read the definition of BOILING. Pay attention to linkage dealing with boiling and temperature.

Now sit back and close your eyes. Reminisce childhood. The jar of soap solution, the wire loop with the handle on it. Bubbles! Heat! Oh My God!

EXTRAPOLATE DEFINITION

When you extrapolate, you use specific details to make a general comment. For example, if you travel to Canada and encounter only friendly, kind natives, you might extrapolate that all Canadians are friendly.

GUESS DEFINITION

When you don't know the answer but you have to say something, you're taking a guess.

Both definitions are derived from dictionaries

red31
Explorer
Explorer
effervesce

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, like we all thought that "boiling battery" means that somewhere down there it must be over 212 degs F
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
My sarcastic laden reply was not directed at you Muddydogs. We have a faction on this forum who try their best to convince others that bubbling actually means boiling and the use of a hydrometer twice a year is as sinful as a nunnery panty-raid. All cyber-printing looks the same. Ideas from the Banjo player in Deliverance, can look equally weighty to proclamations by Stephen Hawkings. I gag at some of the "better ones" by banjo players. But what is not so funny is that seriously interested battery users can fall for the nutso ideas of the seriously under experienced "twanging" of Alfred E. Neumann logic.

You are waxing poetic, Mex... a little more layman like terms. 1-2 little .5mm to 1.0mm diameter bubbles, per second, rising to the surface in the battery vent is a battery still charging.

If the bubbles are bigger, or 3 to 4x that or more in frequency, per second, then it's time to unplug, do a dip, and measure the SG of all 6 cells. Find the cell with the lowest SG reading and use that cell for all future baseline SG readings. A charged battery will have the bubbles "popping" on the surface rather violently. A battery still charging tends to leave the tiny bubbles still sitting in the miniscus of the electrolyte on the surface before finally popping.

If your SG readings are correct, leave unplugged, if the lowest cell is .015 or larger out of range, on the lower SG compared to the rest of the cells, you have a potential problem and the low cell needs an azzkicking with a higher voltage equalization charge to bring it back in line with the rest of it's mates.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
My sarcastic laden reply was not directed at you Muddydogs. We have a faction on this forum who try their best to convince others that bubbling actually means boiling and the use of a hydrometer twice a year is as sinful as a nunnery panty-raid. All cyber-printing looks the same. Ideas from the Banjo player in Deliverance, can look equally weighty to proclamations by Stephen Hawkings. I gag at some of the "better ones" by banjo players. But what is not so funny is that seriously interested battery users can fall for the nutso ideas of the seriously under experienced "twanging" of Alfred E. Neumann logic.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Muddydogs wrote:

So can a accurate hydrometer reading be taken while the battery is under charge?

It depends on the battery, some designs that stay mixed up and don't have settling of battery acid in them, the answer is yes. Some batteries, usually tall ones, tend to stratisfy and need to be stirred up or mixed, to prevent settling of heavier battery acid to the bottom.

Bubbling generally stirs up the battery, though it's recommended you measure the SG 24 hours after completely charging, as sometimes it still continues to go up, despite the battery charger no longer charging, there is a lag time.

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Alright thanks for the explanation. I was charging an older battery and about an hour in I was getting a bubble here and there out of 2 or 3 cells and I realized that I didn't quite know what I was looking for. I figured that all cells needed to bubble but then the question popped in my head "well what constitutes bubbling"

I would categorize my fish tank aerator more as a boil then a bubble but then again its not a small pump. I get what your saying MexicoWanderer.

So can a accurate hydrometer reading be taken while the battery is under charge?
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Try oh PLEASE TRY JUST ONE ITTY-BITTY TIME to use a hydrometer and see that at 14.8 volts the battery is most likely APPROACHING full charge.

The word BOILING is very common. People do understand its signifigance. Can YOU define the difference between bubbling and boiling. Don't people have tropical fish tanks. They have aerators that bubble. Say bubble bubble bubble. Can you perceive Inherent timing in your cadence? That's what a bubbling battery does. You can confirm the level of charge with a hydrometer dip to soothe your savaged nerves. This is not the same as brewing up a batch of nitroglycerine. The battery can actually bubble for 15-minutes a d it could care less. A battery under equalization bubbles a hundred times as hard. 14.8 volts is mild. Why dont fartchargers use this method? They would if superchips had eyeballs and a brain. See if that forty nine cent chip is smart enough to know when a battery is charged. Fat chance. It guesses like the ten year old neighbor boy looking over your shoulder.

Bubble bubble bubble. Disconnect. Yawn.

If you arre fixated on the word BOIL go to Yellowstone, stand atop Old Faithful. Pretty soon you will get an excellent demonstration of BOIL

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
All the cells. The ones that are not bubbling are still taking on a charge, they are laggard or weak sister cells. Or they are going dead on you. Little infrequent Champagne fizzy bubbles are fine.

Roiling boiling water bubbles are not. Measure the voltage at the terminals and the amps the battery is still taking on, and post up.

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
So bubbles in one or two cells or bubbles in all the cells?

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
harold1946 wrote:
Whenever you see bubbles coming to the top, STOP.

If its boiling you are over charging the battery.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
Whenever you see bubbles coming to the top, STOP.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad