cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Clicking sound from engine/transmission

Mike_Schriber
Explorer
Explorer
My Damon Daybreak with a 2006 6.8L three valve V-10 and the five speed TorqShift transmission recently started making a very strange sound...

http://youtu.be/FKVNiwRtXyY

It happens when it's cold and I just start off driving for the first time. It also happens on upshifts under a heavy load (like when going up a steep hill). I've also noticed it happening when the engine is under a heavy load going up hill and I let off the throttle dramatically.

Everything seems to be running fine other than the sound and there are no codes.

Anyone have an idea what this could be?

Thanks!
2006 Damon Daybreak 3276 37' bunkhouse
16 REPLIES 16

Mike_Schriber
Explorer
Explorer
It's not the exhaust and it's not the flywheel or transmission. It's the intake runner control module.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Schriber wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's not an exhaust stud. If it was, it would make the sound all the time.

My 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 4.7l V8 had TWO broken exhaust manifold studs on the same port! It would "tick" when cold but when the exhaust manifold heated up it would quiet back down to nothing.
BUT, if at idle, not under load it would stat ticking again as the manifold cooled somewhat.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

Mike_Schriber
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Eric! Yep! It looks like it's the intake runner control module. I have the replacement part but I just haven't had time to put it on yet. Hopefully it's the module and not the runner flaps inside the intake manifold!

96Bounder30E wrote:
Mike.... Did you ever resolve this problem?..... I was hoping to hear what the issue was.....

westend
Explorer
Explorer
To me, it sounds like a flyweel/torue converter interference issue. When the flywheel changes rotational runout it comes in contact with something. It could be debris within the bell housing or the starter gear. You might also check if there is a plug on the bottom of the bell housing. If the plug is missing debris can enter. If it's pushed in or deformed, it could make contact.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mike.... Did you ever resolve this problem?..... I was hoping to hear what the issue was.....
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

Mike_Schriber
Explorer
Explorer
No one? This is killing me!

Mike_Schriber
Explorer
Explorer
Repeated rapid clicking. Did you see there's a link on my first post to a YouTube video with a recording of the sound?

The torque converter locking solenoid is a possibility but it seems unlikely. It happens when cold right off the line at slow speed when the computer would not attempt to lock the torque converter. It also happens AFTER upshifts, not before, and only at high engine loading.

Just talked to a mechanic friend and he's pretty stumped too. I always get the weird ones!

wa8yxm wrote:
Rapid click (in which case I have no clue) or a CLICK as it shifts (one click per shift, or one click per series of shifts)

In some modern transmissions there is both a relay and a magnetic clutch (the relay controls the clutch)

This clutch "locks" the torque converter when no shifting is anticipated so that you get better MPG..

Now I've never heard one engage.. but well. You did say it happens when shifting.

That said, I'm not a Ford guy and do not know them as well as I know GM products or Chrysler.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
ยฟTorque converter lockup solenoid?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rapid click (in which case I have no clue) or a CLICK as it shifts (one click per shift, or one click per series of shifts)(

In some modern transmissions there is both a relay and a magnetic clutch (the relay controls the clutch)

This clutch "locks" the torque converter when no shifting is anticipated so that you get better MPG..

Now I've never heard one engage.. but well. You did say it happens when shifting.

That said, I'm not a Ford guy and do not know them as well as I know GM products or Chrysler.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Mike_Schriber
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty sure it's not an exhaust stud. If it was, it would make the sound all the time. Listen carefully to the recording. It's a cycling sound that always lasts for the EXACT same amount of time. To me, it's clearly a solenoid, valve or relay but I have no idea what or which. The V-10 doesn't have cam phasers and I can't think of anything else. It's possible it's a transmission solenoid but it sounds like it's coming from the engine and not further back from the transmission.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Sure it is not a broken exhaust manifold stud? Very common on the V-10's.
cpaulsen

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Cracked flex plates make all sorts of strange sounds. Worth a look.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Mike_Schriber
Explorer
Explorer
No way, not that sound.

Chopperbob wrote:
Drive shaft slip joint?