cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coleman Roadtrip problem UPDATE

joshuajim
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 10 year old Roadtrip grill. It has worked fine all there years. Now, when I first light it it has a strong blue flame, but after 5 minutes or so the flame dies somewhat and has a lot of yellow in it. This occurs when no other gas appliance are working.

???
RVing since 1995.
9 REPLIES 9

joshuajim
Explorer II
Explorer II
UPDATE. Got home and put the manometer on. Pressure was less than 10" static and down to 9.25" with cooktop and heater on. I adjusted the pressure regulator to 11" (took about 2 turns) and this was the result.

New regulator on order.
RVing since 1995.

joshuajim
Explorer II
Explorer II
troubledwaters wrote:
Are you running through two regulators; the one at the propane tanks on the RV, and the one on the line at the grill?

Only one regulator at RV cylinders. Factory piping to quick connect then custom hose to Roadtrip with no regulator,
RVing since 1995.

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you running through two regulators; the one at the propane tanks on the RV, and the one on the line at the grill?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a Roadtrip grill for 3 or 4 seasons and it always did the same thing even when new. We have propane via a quick connect and the TT's LP system. Replaced the regulator for an un-related reason with a quality one and the flame still burned yellow. We have a larger 3/8" dia. propane hose instead of a 1/4" one which I think is commonly used. Too low a pressure after the regulator (as in being faulty) is likely not the cause.

The Roadtrip still worked okay for us with the yellow-ish flame. I'm pretty sure the cause is that the Coleman grill needs a slightly higher pressure than an RV's LP system can provide. A yellow-ish flame indicates improper air/fuel mixture. Have you checked to see if you have a blocked orifice or burner tube? I assume you removed the original Coleman regulator. If it used to work okay for you, replace the parts? If you're at higher elevations you can have inadequate fuel mixture.

We got rid of our Roadtrip last season for a number of things we didn't like about it and replaced it with a Weber Q and it also has a yellow-ish flame and puts out even less heat than the Roadtrip.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
joshuajim wrote:
Roy and Jerry, the issue is that the burners start out with a good strong blue flame an then deteriorate. If it was leakage or blockage, it would not occur that way.

My guess is that the cheap regulator FR installed is dropping pressure after the initial 11" is depleted. I'll do a manometer check when I get home.

That was my first thought - a faulty regulator. Still, it gave you 10 years which is not too bad. You can get a new one for $27 here: Replacement Parts.com

joshuajim
Explorer II
Explorer II
Double post
RVing since 1995.

joshuajim
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roy and Jerry, the issue is that the burners start out with a good strong blue flame an then deteriorate. If it was leakage or blockage, it would not occur that way.

My guess is that the cheap regulator FR installed is dropping pressure after the initial 11" is depleted. I'll do a manometer check when I get home.
RVing since 1995.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or spiders in the propane tube.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess you are getting your propane from the trailer. Mine still uses the 1lb canisters and is working great. Of course the non blue flame is telling you air is getting into the propane line... I got my ROADTRIP grill back in 2008...

Maybe rodents have had a lunch or two on your propane connection line haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS