Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converter/battery

Herd_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Hello.

Our converter appears to be working properly (Converter output voltage is 13.6), but the battery is not charging properly. I checked all panel fuses, inline fuses, and connections, and everything looked good.

During our last camping trip, when I noticed the issue, I found that the converter wire at the breaker was loose, and I fixed that. Unfortunately, the battery was all but dead after we'd been gone all day (wife left air conditioner on - that didn't help matters), so we had to buy a new battery. I was hoping with the wire reattached and a brand new battery, that I'd be good to go...apparently not. Thoughts on what to do next?
2017 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21 DS
2007 Dodge 2500 5.9L CTD, 4x4, quad cab
27 REPLIES 27

Herd_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Cydog15 wrote:
Why not post the make and model of the converter? Lots of internet experts here can help

WFCO Ultra WF-8900 series

Battery is Interstate Marine/RV HD24-DP, charged on a battery charger to 100% (13.3 V) prior to installing on camper.

Output from converter is 13.7. Voltage at battery (connected) is 12.7 (was 13.3 when first connected yesterday). I checked all fuses and grounds. I pushed the reset button on the small, inline "circuit breaker" gizmo on the frame near the battery. Maybe this is just as good as it's going to get.

Cydog15
Explorer
Explorer
Why not post the make and model of the converter? Lots of internet experts here can help

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
WHat kind of battery do you have.

MARINE/deep cycle .. Well they are basically starting batteries. You run 'em way down they MNIGHT recover but I'd not bet on it.

DEEP CYCLE (like CG2 or CG-12) Stand a much better chance of recovery if you run em down too far.

And as for the Air conditioner.. You owe your wife a nice dinner at a nice restaurant for that insult you accidently left up ๐Ÿ™‚
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Once through bulk phase of charging (high amps) battery should read same as converter output, minus a very small amount for resistance in wire/connections between the two.

Yes, with high current flow, there will be more voltage difference. Once charged, should be very close to same voltage reading.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Herd_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
I found the small "circuit breaker" near the battery, and I reset it.

Another question....while on a battery charger I can only get my battery up to 12.4, should it then read 12.4 while hooked up to a plugged-in camper, or should it read 13.6 (same as converter output at fuse panel)? Thanks for all the help, guys.

Edit...nvm, question was addressed in earlier reply...looks like it should read 13.6 at battery.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Herd Fan wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
Where are you taking this voltage reading. At the battery terminals?

Per the operator manual, I checked the voltage at the fuse panel with a voltmeter (positive probe on the +VCC output terminal lug, and negative probe on the NEG- output terminal lug).

Follow the positive cable from the battery and look for one of these within a couple feet from the battery. It is a circuit breaker and should have a small reset button.

Herd_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:

Per the operator manual, I checked the voltage at the fuse panel with a voltmeter (positive probe on the +VCC output terminal lug, and negative probe on the NEG- output terminal lug).

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
As BFL said, check voltages.
With the battery connected to the converter, and the converter running, you should have 13.6 volts (or more) at the battery as well as each location along the circuit. If it is lower, wherever that drop occurs is the problem.
A possible time saver for you. Clean the ground on the battery as well as the grounds to the converter and frame. The most frequent cause of 12 volt problems is a dropped ground , and its usually a corrosion issue.

Herd_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Forget the part about the air conditioner. I realized that after I posted, but I didn't feel like deleting it.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Why does the wife leaving the Air conditioner on most of the day matter for a battery issue?

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The breaker (120v I presume you mean) must be ok or you would not be getting 13.6v DC out.

Air conditioner has nothing to do with the battery running down.

Going from the converter's output to the battery with a multimeter on volts, find where you lose the 13.6 and only get battery 12.x.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.