cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Delamination help

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone one know of a great within 4-5 hours of Syracuse, NY that will deal with delamination correctly and professionally?
The two local camper places do not meet my standards for professionalism or knowledge
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind
23 REPLIES 23

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:
timmac wrote:
What was the final cost and was the cost worth it for a 1990 motorhome.

For the delamination the cost was +- $1600 for an area of about 6X7 feet.

That's cheap, here in Vegas work like that would have cost triple or more.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:

For the delamination the cost was +- $1600 for an area of about 6X7 feet.
Was it worth it? I think so. Everything works on the rig. DW and I are comfortable in it and DW with spinal cord injury says the seats fit her butt just right.
I will not know for sure until I see how long the coach lasts. If I get 4-5 years more out of the coach then yes; in fact it would be down right cheap when amortized over a 2 year period.

I am happy in my home and so yep today it was worth it.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
RESOLVED
I took the rig into a body shop in Cicero, NY that specializes in RV collision repair and received it back today.
It appears they did a great job at about 70% of the price quoted by RV shops.
Side is smooth again and all windows in area were removed and resealed as well as all seams recaulked.

LOOKS GOOD, done on time and pleasure to work with
SEE my review on rvservicereviews.com

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Fantastic news, can't wait to hear a Happy Ending !!

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
AS A FOLLOW UP
After much searching I found a BODY SHOP in my area that does RV and semi repair and they are familiar with delamination repair they do not advertise as most of their work comes from RV places and they do not want to offend the places that sub to them. ON my coach they told me not to expect a perfect cosmetic repair but that the repair would be effective and sound. The price appears to be right and the time frame for the work is 5 days. I dropped the rig off today. I will tell everyone how it went when I get the rig back.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Composet.

If the delam is minor and the underlying wall structure has not been destroyed by rot, this will work very well.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

RVguy77
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Composet Products, They are pretty easy to use kits.

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
You will find it difficult to find anyone who will give you a schedule or estimate and stick to it. They will not know the extent of the damage until they open it up. It may be minor or it could me a major repair. I would not trust anyone who says they can do it for X dollars in X amount of time until they open it up and see what is there.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
darsben1 wrote:
Anyone one know of a great within 4-5 hours of Syracuse, NY that will deal with delamination correctly and professionally?
The two local camper places do not meet my standards for professionalism or knowledge

Your profile page says you have a 1990 Southwind, I would not pay anyone to do the work, it will cost you more than what the motorhome is worth on its best day, learn to fix it yourself or just live with it and save the money for a newer motorhome later..

Only you can decide if repairs are worth it. My RV has retail value $6000, I'd get $3 to $4 selling it. For me, repairs in that range would be worth it TO ME.

Doug

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:

Your profile page says you have a 1990 Southwind, I would not pay anyone to do the work, it will cost you more than what the motorhome is worth on its best day, learn to fix it yourself or just live with it and save the money for a newer motorhome later..

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
soren wrote:
3 tons wrote:
darsben1 wrote:
jarata1 wrote:
Lol

?

Darsben 1, I'll take it upon myself to apologize for this moron's present day crude demeanor...

3 tons

Well instead of name calling, maybe you should give it some thought. I found the LOL pretty funny, since I have done business with the biggest dealer in his area, and I know exactly why the OP might find them to be, at best, lacking...................... I would let them scrap dog poop off my shoe, since they would probably screw that up too.

So, the poster enjoys the OP's sense of humor, and that:

#1 makes him a moron?
#2 makes you the official in charge of determining that he is, and apologizing on behalf of the entire forum.

Well, somebody is pretty full of themselves, eh?

Answer to question 1: Uber rudeness to the OP's genuine point of concern...
Answer to question 2: A cursory re-read will alert you to the fact that I never apologized for 'the entire forum'...
Answer to the unasked $64k question: In the interest of 'civil decorum', I would suggest not to defend the indefensible ...No point in chasing flying toasters, JMO

3 tons

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^^^^ lol

OP I'm sorry I don't know of anyone there. You can youtube some videos though and see that the fix isn't so sci fi or difficult so long as you catch it early delmaination is manageable. You just have to fix the leak that is causing it first.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

soren
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:
darsben1 wrote:
jarata1 wrote:
Lol

?

Darsben 1, I'll take it upon myself to apologize for this moron's present day crude demeanor...

3 tons

Well instead of name calling, maybe you should give it some thought. I found the LOL pretty funny, since I have done business with the biggest dealer in his area, and I know exactly why the OP might find them to be, at best, lacking...................... I would let them scrap dog poop off my shoe, since they would probably screw that up too.

So, the poster enjoys the OP's sense of humor, and that:

#1 makes him a moron?
#2 makes you the official in charge of determining that he is, and apologizing on behalf of the entire forum.

Well, somebody is pretty full of themselves, eh?