cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic Refrigerator gets too cold

goldwinghauler
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 8 cf Dometic DM2852. Instead of the usual gets too hot inside, mine runs about 28-29 degrees, causing items to freeze. I contacted Dometic (useless phone call). They told me to take it in for service. Iโ€™m in between camping trips so I took it in yesterday. The tech checked the thermistor and its value on the cold test was 400 ohms less than the minimum. They told me to go home and run the fridge to test it again for 24 hours. I did that and called the Service guy today at 11:30. He said it has to be a bad control board. Thanks to Dometic for assigning another tech person to the case. With another wasted day. Open the fridge for 30 minutes, move the thermistor to the bottom of the right fin and call back in 24 hours. Thatโ€™s tomorrow. We leave on Saturday for two weeks of camping including a Truck Camper Rally in Gettysburg, with a busted fridge. Quite sure there will be another BS solution tomorrow and no time to get parts ordered and installed by Friday night.

Help, Help, Help what should I do or try?
2017 Dodge Ram 3500HD Cummins Diesel CC LB 4WD Dually w/ Supersprings SSA-24 and Hellwig Big Wig Sway Bar
2018 Eagle Cap 1165
22 REPLIES 22

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
goldwinghauler wrote:
Final question for all you tech guys, can the eyebrow control panel be switched from fully automatic to fully adjustable?

Below is from Dometic. You need specific Part Numbers of the lower control board. The "product" of the refer refers to the 3rd number on the serial sticker. Model===Serial===PNC. PNC stands for Product number. Then you need the Part Number of the lower control module. Doug

Yes you can.

What is the product of the refer?

There are two different upper controls with adjustments.

What is the part number of the lower board

goldwinghauler
Explorer
Explorer
Final question for all you tech guys, can the eyebrow control panel be switched from fully automatic to fully adjustable?
2017 Dodge Ram 3500HD Cummins Diesel CC LB 4WD Dually w/ Supersprings SSA-24 and Hellwig Big Wig Sway Bar
2018 Eagle Cap 1165

goldwinghauler
Explorer
Explorer
Latest update:

My service guy finally spoke to a Tech Supervisor at Dometic. They have agreed to replace the control board and the thermistor under warranty. So when I return at the end of September they will be swapped out.

Thanks for everyoneโ€™s response.
2018 Eagle Cap 1165

goldwinghauler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your help. I will probably just buy a Norcold unit take the Dometic POS out and shoot it up with a shotgun for fun!
2018 Eagle Cap 1165

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
goldwinghauler wrote:
I have s better quality hanging thermometer. Plus things are freezing in it. Lunch meat, vegetables and fruit.

How hard is it to swap out the thermistor?

I have s better quality hanging thermometer. Sorry, NO SUCH thing exists:B I don't doubt things are freezing, but the ONLY way to determine what the refer temp REALLY is, is by a cup of water that has been in the refer for at least 12 hours after cool down. Would you feel OK if your Doctor used a "better Quality hanging" thermometer when you go to the doctor:B Or the health dept in your city did the same when doing Restaurant food inspections? Doug

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
goldwinghauler wrote:
I have s better quality hanging thermometer. Plus things are freezing in it. Lunch meat, vegetables and fruit.

I'm slightly off-topic here, but I have an "outdoor" thermometer that has a couple of remote sensors. I keep one of those sensors in the refrigerator. Very helpful-temps do vary and it's not because I opened the door. Easily monitored.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

goldwinghauler
Explorer
Explorer

How hard is it to swap out the thermistor?
2018 Eagle Cap 1165

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
goldwinghauler wrote:
As stated last night one guy said slide it up to warm it up, which is contrary to Dometic instructions. I slide it up last night and the temp went up to 34 degrees. I lowered it back all the way to the bottom again this morning and right now itโ€™s at 29 degrees again. Very odd.

How are you taking temp measurements? The ONLY way is the temp of a cup of water. Doug

goldwinghauler
Explorer
Explorer
As stated last night one guy said slide it up to warm it up, which is contrary to Dometic instructions. I slide it up last night and the temp went up to 34 degrees. I lowered it back all the way to the bottom again this morning and right now itโ€™s at 29 degrees again. Very odd.
2018 Eagle Cap 1165

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I see lots of "Replace" posts but only one "Slide it to the bottom of the fins"

Did you try the slide yet???????
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
bob213 wrote:
If you want it fixed before you leave do what Doug suggests. Doug...Is a "Snip the tip" going to be the easiest solution or can he easily replace the thermister?

The OP must have a AUTO temp refer. I have never seen or used a SNIP THE TIP. But, from postings it appears to be a way to get an adjustable tstat for the AUTO temp refers. MOVING the thermistor up and down in this case is USELESS. This procedure is indeed for Auto Temp refers. BUT, it only changes the temp by about 4 degrees MAX. The normal temp of an Auto Temp refer is around 34 to 36 degrees. Moving the Thermister will only get it to get colder about 31 to 33 degrees. The OP has 28/29 degrees, which indicates a faulty Thermister. Doug

PS, YES, for the cost of a Thermister, I would replace myself rather than waste gas and time taking the RV into a warranty center.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
If you want it fixed before you leave do what Doug suggests. Doug...Is a "Snip the tip" going to be the easiest solution or can he easily replace the thermister?
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

goldwinghauler
Explorer
Explorer
I just found an article where the guy suggests moving the thermistor up an far right to make it warmer. So I am trying that overnight to see what happens. Iโ€™ll report back in the morning.
2018 Eagle Cap 1165

goldwinghauler
Explorer
Explorer
Where would be the best place to try and get one for reasonable cost and by the weekend?

I could always pick one up on my trip to Gettysburg from Tennessee.
2018 Eagle Cap 1165