cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dry Camping: Many Power Solutions. What about Waste/Water?

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lotta discussion and solutions pertaining to solar, generators, huge battery banks, and bulk/boost capable converters keeping everyone powered off the grid.

For those spending more than a weekend dry camping, what kind of creative solutions are available to handle waste and freshwater issues?
42 REPLIES 42

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Barker 32 gal Tote and Water Boy 60 Gal Bladder with Pump. Can stay as long as I want as long as there is a dump station nearby and a water faucet.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
NinerBikes wrote:

I wonder if Canadian gallons get you more for your buck? You wouldn't know it by the price of fuel in Canada.

The key to less crap. is more fiber in your diet. And dropping no wipe tootsie rolls..
Didn't consider the Canadian gallon. What is that like 75 gal US? ๐Ÿ™‚ My craps are very healthy LOL, PLENTY of fiber over here. I was just "funnin" BTW. We're pretty good at water conservation but at some point it's pointless to conserve more IMO. We don't like to live uncomfortably.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Limiting the amount of TP in the black tank was mentioned earlier as one conservation tactic during extended dry-camping. Curious, for those who try to keep some kind of assemblance of dignity while dry-camping, is there a particular product you may have found that's more efficient/effective than TP? Any ingenious methods of discrete disposal :C

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
mena661 wrote:
jrnymn7 wrote:
well, I'm a hippie, and I can go 3 - 4 weeks on 54 u.s. gallons ๐Ÿ™‚
I could use less than that if I didn't shower or take a crap.

Great idea! I'll have to try that next trip. :R
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
mena661 wrote:
jrnymn7 wrote:

I wonder if Canadian gallons get you more for your buck? You wouldn't know it by the price of fuel in Canada.

The key to less crap. is more fiber in your diet. And dropping no wipe tootsie rolls..

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
double post

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
jrnymn7 wrote:

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
How come coffee cups are great and paper bowls are marginally bad?

Hmmm ... I donotknow.

However, I do use ONE non-paper cup: A titanium coffee cup so I can fix/heat/drink instant coffee out of one single vessel so as to minimize messing stuff up for a cup of coffee.

By the way #1, I've found an instant coffee from Germany that doesn't taste like instant and says right in it's description that it's great for campers:

http://internaturalfoods.com/brands/mounthagen.html

By the way #2, when drycamping I don't wash out the titanium cup -> I just wipe it out with a piece of paper towel.

By the way #3, when fixing this coffee I use hauled in mountain spring water ... even it we're camped in the mountains next to a creek.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Phil,

How come coffee cups are great and paper bowls are marginally bad?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use paper plates, cups, and bowls when drycamping.

Hauling compressible dirty paper out is easier and lighter than hauling uncompressible clean water in.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

jrnymn7
Explorer
Explorer

FireRob
Explorer
Explorer
WOW, my first thoughts were, "Man, y'all are a bunch of tree hugging, water conservation, Hippies!"

Second thought after actually giving it some thought, I am impressed and can see the value in all the efforts you all put forth. I am very new to the RV world but have done my share of tent camping and ruffing it. The reason for getting the TT in the first place was so the wife could have her "luxuries" while sleeping with out a rock in her back and tree bark up her butt every time she used the bathroom (she was such a trooper and has earned her reward) and I can still enjoy my outdoors. So for me owning a TT, it is almost like I might as well be living in a mansion on the hill that I get to take with me to go fishing and sit by the campfire with a good cigar.

I honestly meant no disrespect with the hippie comment...
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC Longhorn LB DRW 4.10's Aisin Trans Auto Lvl Suspension Dual 220 Alternators

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 Longhorn (traded in)

2015 CrossRoads Longhorn ReZerve LTZ31SB

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ductape wrote:
64thunderbolt wrote:
Man you guys work too hard. Just buy a toy hauler with enough tank capacity to stay a week without worry. Just train the women how to take an rv shower instead of a Hollywood 1/2 hr shower.

Inquiring minds would like to know which of those two things is most difficult? Is it the buying or the training?

:B

Well, with 3 divorces under my belt I would go for the buying being the easy part. been single for 16 yrs now and it has cut down on the argueing. LOL
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
64thunderbolt wrote:
Man you guys work too hard. Just buy a toy hauler with enough tank capacity to stay a week without worry. Just train the women how to take an rv shower instead of a Hollywood 1/2 hr shower.

Inquiring minds would like to know which of those two things is most difficult? Is it the buying or the training?

:B
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...