cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Follow up Solar Question

Katdaddy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a 130 watt solar suitcase lase year for our trips to the mountains, where we have no hookups. It came with a cheap PWM charge controller and alligator clips to connect to the batteries. Used it on our Fall trip and it worked great. On a previous question someone recommended upgrading to a better charge controller and mounting it inside the camper, which I am in the process of doing. In researching the install I have watched countless how to videos. With the suitcase as it stands I just hook the alligator clips to the battery and go. All of the how to videos say I need breakers and shut off switches and fuses. So, what is different between the two? I don't have a lot of space in my battery compartment to mount all of the devices that I see recommended. What do I really NEED? As always all help appreciated.
Little by little, one travels far - J.R.R. Tolkien
There ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them. - Mark Twain
21 REPLIES 21

PerryB67
Explorer
Explorer
A year ago we purchased a Renogy 100 watt suitcase. From talking to other suitcase users the wires will be too short to reach sunlight. We have three 15' 10 gauge Zamp cables with SAE plugs. Renogy provided us the proper SAE adapters for our portable.

I thought I'd never use 45' of cable until two months ago in Chiricahua National Monument. We were there for 7 days in cold weather. The furnace blower is our biggest user, and despite 220 amps (110 useable) we would have killed the batteries without 45' of cable.

When running 45' of 10g cable you want the controller inside the camper, as close to the batteries as possible. 18 volts can get by on a smaller wire than 12 volts.

We installed a Victron 110/20 controller with an SAE port on the outside of the camper leading to the controller. Between the batteries and controller I installed a 20 amp fuse that can also double as a disconnect.

Enjoy,

Perry
2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
2019 F150 Max Tow, Max Springs, 3.5 EB Quad Cab
Victron 712, Victron 100/20, Victron 100/30
160 Watts on the Roof, 100 watt portable
Two 100 ah SOK LFP Batteries

Katdaddy
Explorer II
Explorer II
BFL13 wrote:
Besides the controller's spec for connection sequence for whatever reason to do with that controller, any "12/24" controller wants you to connect to the battery first so it can "see" whether your system is 12v or 24v before it is connected to the array

Yep! I learned this the hard way. I did it backwards and the controller was reading for 24v. I thought I had torn it up right off the bat.
There ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them. - Mark Twain

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Besides the controller's spec for connection sequence for whatever reason to do with that controller, any "12/24" controller wants you to connect to the battery first so it can "see" whether your system is 12v or 24v before it is connected to the array
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
jaycocreek wrote:
I have two 100 watt portable panels without a controller connected...I installed a Renogy 30 amp controller in my camper and did the wiring so when I set the panels out all I have to do is connect them via an Anderson connector..i don't keep the controller hooked to the battery 24/7,only when I'm going to use it.

Renogy MPPT specifically warns: Connect battery terminals to the charge controller BEFORE connecting the solar panel(s) to the charge controller. NEVER connect solar panels to charge controller until the battery is connected. (caps are theirs).

Renogy PWM has no such warning but the connecting procedure goes #1) Connect controller to battery, and then #2) Connect panels to controller.

Leaving controller permanently connected to battery is the safest as this excludes the user's error. Except for (maybe) when you have it in longterm storage with no sun and are concerned about tiny idle draw on the battery.

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
I have two 100 watt portable panels without a controller connected...I installed a Renogy 30 amp controller in my camper and did the wiring so when I set the panels out all I have to do is connect them via an Anderson connector..i don't keep the controller hooked to the battery 24/7,only when I'm going to use it.
Don't hurt to leave controller hook to battery all the time, had the one in the MH hooked up for 18 yrs, never hurt it untill one battery went out.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Katdaddy wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Katdaddy,

Permanently connect the charge controller to the battery bank with a fuse close to the battery. The rest is unnecessary at 130 watts.

I've read some conflicting information on that. What size fuse should I use.

The first consideration is wire size. Size the fuse to the capacity of the wire.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

red31
Explorer
Explorer
I'd fuse a 20A CC with a 20A fuse! or a 40A CC with a 40A fuse.
wires sized bigger than the fuse.

Katdaddy
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Katdaddy,

Permanently connect the charge controller to the battery bank with a fuse close to the battery. The rest is unnecessary at 130 watts.

I've read some conflicting information on that. What size fuse should I use.

Katdaddy
Explorer II
Explorer II
BFL13 wrote:
Some controllers don't mind and others do (eg Morningstar minds) when you disconnect from battery you are supposed to disconnect the panel from the controller first. You can't do that with the controller on the back of the panel, so it must be one of those that does not mind.

The new controller might mind, don't know. In case it does, you should have a switch in the panel to controller wiring so you can do it all in the right sequence.

I am also installing an SAE plug to bring the solar into the camper.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some controllers don't mind and others do (eg Morningstar minds) when you disconnect from battery you are supposed to disconnect the panel from the controller first. You can't do that with the controller on the back of the panel, so it must be one of those that does not mind.

The new controller might mind, don't know. In case it does, you should have a switch in the panel to controller wiring so you can do it all in the right sequence.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Katdaddy,

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Katdaddy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the replies. I have purchased a Rich Solar MPPT charge controller and plan to mount it close to the batteries. I was wondering if all of the recommended disconnects and fuses or breakers were really needed, as I have none with the current setup and it worked just fine.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a solar suitcase we implement from time to time to supplement the solar panels we have on the roof, particularly when camping in forests or on cloudy days. Nothing wrong with trying to eek out an extra .25A/.50A, but as you have stated it may be more work than it's worth.

We have a Renogy solar suitcase and use the rear mounted solar charger until it went through one heck of a monsoon storm, ordered a slightly better water resistant solar charger from Renogy. We did go with a heavier gauge wire mounted directly to battery, simply deploy and connect.