cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator not powering motorhome

dennysbabe2
Explorer
Explorer
My friend bought a used 1988 Telstar motorhome and can't get power to his unit with the onboard Onan generator. Does the 30 amp power cord get plugged into the generator somewhere and if so does anyone know where? He's looked for a plugin and doesn't see one. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Phyllis
9 REPLIES 9

dennysbabe2
Explorer
Explorer
Great appreciation for all the responses. I've passed the info on to my friend! Thank you so much!

bounder39zman
Explorer II
Explorer II
above replies are all good, and should be checked out. If there is no generator receptacle, the you have an ATS (automatic transfer switch) to handle switching between the landline and generator. Typically, the generator commands the switch (will switch to generator power if available) but defaults to landline if no generator power available

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chum lee wrote:
The older style motor homes (which yours is) usually had a plug (female receptacle) in one of the storage bays. Probably the bay where the power cord enters the motor home. When you plug into shore power, the plug goes to the receptacle on the pedestal. When you need the generator, the plug goes into the receptacle in the storage bay. If you don't plug the cord into the receptacle, the generator will run but will not connect (power up) to the motor home.

Chum lee

Look in your electric bay or one of the others see if you can find something like this

Plug your shore cord into it to power the RV from the generator
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
I love these ones......:?:h then :S
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Another possibility - check the generator circuit breakers if those breakers have triggered the generator will run but won't provide electricity.
Kevin

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Looking at this photo,Telstar
I believe the genset power receptacle would be in same compartment(hatch where the shore power cord comes out.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
The older style motor homes (which yours is) usually had a plug (female receptacle) in one of the storage bays. Probably the bay where the power cord enters the motor home. When you plug into shore power, the plug goes to the receptacle on the pedestal. When you need the generator, the plug goes into the receptacle in the storage bay. If you don't plug the cord into the receptacle, the generator will run but will not connect (power up) to the motor home.

Chum lee

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
time to grab a multimeter and start following wires.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe. Some rigs have an automatic transfer switch and some require plugging into a generator powered receptacle.

In something that is 30+ years old, anything could have been changed over the years.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900