cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GFCI issues when powering two 30A RVs from a 50A outlet

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The campground where our big season-ending event is held is crowded with mostly small RVs and tents that eat up all the 30A and 15A outlets on the pedestals. The 50A outlets are largely unused.

This year I bought an expensive 50A to dual 30A Y adapter so that myself and a friend with a TT could have reliable power from a 50A outlet. It is wired with common neutral, common ground, and each hot from the 50A plug running to a separate 30A socket.

I have seen confusing information about this not working due to GFCI.

Which GFCI will be an issue? The one on the pedestal, or the ones in the campers?

So will it or won't it?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.
7 REPLIES 7

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
vermilye wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
15/20 amp outlets are the only ones that may have GFCI outlets. 30 and 50 do not. You will be ok.
While MOST 30 amp pedestals don't have GFCIs, a few do. Ran into one at an Indiana State Park last week.

The 30 Amp outlets in all Illinois state parks have GFCI breakers.

Click For Full-Size Image.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
15/20 amp outlets are the only ones that may have GFCI outlets. 30 and 50 do not. You will be ok.
While MOST 30 amp pedestals don't have GFCIs, a few do. Ran into one at an Indiana State Park last week.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ok, thanks! Thought maybe it messed with the GFCI in the trailer/camper or something.

I generally have a good handle on residential electrical but these GFCI things are some mad voodoo to me still, even though they've been around for ~30 years.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, just the one in the pedestal is the issue. Since you won't be using it there won't be any problem.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
What he said- breaking 50 amp 240 volt power down to multiple 120 volt outlets is no problem. It's combining a 20 and 30 amp to get ersatz 50 amp power that is an issue.
-- Chris Bryant

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
the one u might be reading about is the box that pugs binto a 30amp and a 20amp plugsto get the 50 amps and will trip a gfci on a surge.but if you are plugging in a 50 amp plug then split to two 30 amp plug u should be ok