cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help -- Suburban water heater - gas valve

Rock2
Explorer
Explorer
The model # I have is SW10DE and serial #064211119. The valve part # is 161109. Before I order a new gas valve, I want to see if mine needs to be replaced or not. Valve has 4 terminals. I used electric multimeter to test ohm - terminal number 1 and 2 show no ohm while number 3 and four shows 42 ohms. So my question is my gas valve bad or not? I will be waiting to hear from you soon. Thank you!
8 REPLIES 8

Rock2
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought. This will be second time replace gas valve. Made me think it is possible that hot water dripping cause the coil short life? The last time I replace was nine years ago.

Rock2
Explorer
Explorer
RV Sam wrote:
The one closest to the tank usually goes due to high heat from the tank. Make up a little shield from a pop can or something to slide in there to reflect some of the heat away. Keep your old one as one coil is still good.

Yes glad you suggested about save the old coil for spare. Will do that.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
RV Sam wrote:
The one closest to the tank usually goes due to high heat from the tank. Make up a little shield from a pop can or something to slide in there to reflect some of the heat away. Keep your old one as one coil is still good.

That and water from T&P Relief Valve dripping on it.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
I rewound mine. Cost about $10 for the magnet wire.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

RV_Sam
Explorer
Explorer

Rock2
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you! Enblethen and Old-Biscuit. I think it is better to buy gas valve complete rather than kit. It is not much saving. Found Ebay. I am going to order today so hopefully get before weekend.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Based on your ohm readings the one solenoid is bad (Terminals 1-2) and one solenoid is good (Terminals 3-4)

Need BOTH solenoids to open/keep open gas valve

Your gas valve part number 161109 is a White Rodgers Gas Valve

Replacement solenoid Kits are available.......much cheaper than replacing gas valve

Solenoid Info

Kit
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, you have a bad coil. Some locations have replacement coils, thou hard to find. Gas valve complete unit is better way to go.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker