cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do I replace a 10 gal Atwood water heater?

tallpall888
Explorer
Explorer
It's leaking after only six years and being flushed regularly (once a year). Flushing consists of draining the tank (after turning the water off) and sticking a wand up in there with garden hose.
The first time, after a stint in the RGV, got about a puund of white limestone like pebbles out of it But every time since, not so much.
But I see one drop per second coming out of the bottom. Something is busted. I ordered another water heater same model from PPL. It's an Alfa fifth wheeler....34RLIK Gold.
I am wondering if I can just yank the old heater out....or should I pay someone to do it who knows what they are doing.
No access to backside of heater underneath..or the underside of the heater which is covered by half inch creosote covering (think 1/2 plywood but it is this creosote soaked stuff.) No access from inside. All we have is the 16 inch opening on the side of the unit. Looks like a frame secured by screws around the outside of it.
The 16 inch frame is the only way out. Are there flexible hoses behind there? Anyone done this?
10 REPLIES 10

tallpall888
Explorer
Explorer
This is the denouement concerning this thread. The WH is installed and functioning, done by yours truly. I do want to add a few sentences of the experiences I encountered for those in the future who are searching for the "whether or not" should one attempt replacing a water heater.....as I had a lot of questions. The answers found here, looking three months into the archives, thousands of posts, were too ambiguous for me to discern the difficulty that might be involved. I'm sorta handy but hate to jump into projects that might end up causing problems that aren't immediately solvable. Like I have, with trepidation, replaced kitchen faucets, repaired (twice) the unit toilet (eventually replacing it) and resolving miscellaneous problems like why a slide wouldn't move. But on a scale of 10 I'm probably a 3.
This puts me in a category where I *know* I don't know what some situations are going to require.
Was there when our 8 yr old Splendide washer/dryer conked out. Talked to the manufacturer and it looked like a bad motor was the problem. Ugh! After checking ebay and trying to consider the reliability of what I might receive in the mail (complete units as I was certainly not up to tackling pulling the thing out, replacing a motor and reinstalling the unit only to see it still fail) called the pros in on this one. Saw there ACTUALLY WAS enough length on hoses and wires for this to be pulled out from its elevated position and set on the floor....a big worry for me! I could have done it myself.
So replacing a water heater was daunting. What was back there?
Turns out it's not that bad. My unit, a 2006 36 ft Alfa Gold fifth wheeler had an Atwood 10 gal gas/elec heater that was new, replaced by the dealer just before I bought this two year old unit. He said the original, whatever it was, was leaking so needed replacing. Great!
Five years later noticed a leak when it was being put away for the summer (we spend our winters in this). Duly noted.
In sixth year of ownership this did not reappear until recently, when it became really apparent. There is a leak back there. I ordered a new heater (saved about $200 ordering from an online company compared to a local RV dealership plus tax), then, with the readers help here, I found there was access to the backside of the heater underneath my unit (in the spare tire wheel well)...about ten inches square behind a black plastic box covering it. Lightly poking the hard plastic hoses attached to the exposed part of the bulbous aluminum tank so as to see what was back there, the leak suddenly became worse...spraying even!
So the leak was not the tank, but the input cold water lead. Cracked even with the tank. By putting a weight on the hose could pull it down so it was back to a nominal drip every second.
The water lines, hard plastic 1/2", leading to and from the tank were not just a simple 90 degree angle. They had at least two 90 degree plastic joints aiming just so they would meet the ports on the water heater. OK. I had the exact same replacement heater so no problem.
The heater is turned off (switch in the master control panel leading up to the bedroom) Turned off the breaker marked "water heater". Unscrewed the frame all around the outside of the heater. Started prying the heater out. Once out an inch or so, unscrewed the gas line, went under the unit and unscrewed the water lines. Back around outside worked the tightly fit water heater out and angled down onto the ground. There is, ladies and gentlemen, just enough length on the wires that run this thing to allow that. It was a big worry.
Four wires with the 12 volt stuff run to the front of the heater. Cut them leaving some length on the old water heater as I think I can get the busted coupler part out of the cold water input hole and this would be a good heater again.
I wondered about pulling the fuse in the 12v panel marked "appliances" to prevent possible shorting with my endeavors, but voted against it. Throw the breaker for "water heater" and the 110 stuff is off. Throw the switch to turn the "heater" off and you kill the 12v stuff....right? I was either lucky or accurate on this as nothing blew.
Measured the volts on the other three wires. (Previous to throwing the breaker there was 117v AC) Zero. Unscrewed the thingys holding the wires together.
New heater in place of old, tilted up on the ground, rear facing opening. Attached four wires for the 12v stuff according to color using solder and heat shrink tubing. Hooked up the 110v wires according to color with twistons.
Put 1/2" couplers, the two inch male ones with outside threads on both ends, in the hot and cold holes using teflon tape (plastic, wanted to use brass but the hardware stores were out of the right kind...the couplers on the old unit were plastic anyway). Had to 'invent' a solution on the hot water outlet. Could not get the original connection (a 90 degree male, clamped to two inches of plastic pipe, clamped to a male coupler) off the heater because it appeared it had been EPOXIED into the hole. It appeared it was going to break with the force I was using and I wanted to save the heater. So jury rigged a 12" section of female/female sink hose (the kind you see under your sink) and a male/male connector on the other end to meet the female connection on the plastic pipe.
Wa La! Turned on the water and nary a drop anywhere. Turned on the AC breaker and no sparks. Flicked on the heater switch and now we can take a hot shower!

Note: this heater will not fit all the way into the access hole in my unit because the black plastic box on the back of the heater that covers the leads for the electric element hole and some other stuff, prevents it from accessing the last inch needed. The box hits a frame part.
The plastic box on the old unit was completely busted and pushed to one side. I can vision now how the original problem happened...the car dealer tech, frustrated that the unit would not go all the way in, forced it to where the box cracked off and also cracked the input water lead coupler. But it closed and a sale was made.
I needed to use a Dremel tool with cutting wheel to cut off the lower part of the box, then stick some insulating material into the cutout to be able to shove the heater all the way in. Your experience will probably be more fitting.

tallpall888
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all your replies and an email from another Alfa owner. Yes, there is access at the back....a plastic box cover held in place by screws and caulking. New unit is ordered but wont be here til Wed. altho now I may wish I had not done that. The leak appears to be AT a fitting where one of the hoses enters the tank...something that might be replaceable. Wednesday or so I will find out.

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
If it is a leak on the tank, they are easy to weld.

X2 While replacing the control board on my atwood I accidently caused a leak by putting a screw into the tank. After taking it out and taking it completely apart I had a friend heli-arc weld it. He did it for free but a shop I called quoted me $25 for the simple hole. MUCH cheaper than $250 for a new unit!

The screws around the outside are what keeps the unit in place. Remove them and it will slide out. The water lines are probably long enough for it to slide out, the propane won't be, but I believe it unscrews at the front. It is probably doable to completely remove it from the external opening, but will be easier if you can get to the back.
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS ๐Ÿ˜› 2007, DD :C 2008

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a leak on the tank, they are easy to weld.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I have to agree with the majority here, there almost has to be a removable panel. I had a leaking pipe and thought it was at a exterior cabinet, turns out it was about four feet away next to the WH. The floor of our closet had to be removed to access the plumbing and there was the WH.

In a couple of rigs we have looked at, there were some really ugly looking panels covering the backside of the shower valves. Some are so neatly hidden, you have to be a tech who has worked on them to know where they are.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
It's doable if one is handy BUT be sure you are replacing it with the same model as there are several variations out there.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
It's unusual that there's no inside access to the plumbing at the back of the heater. Have you checked for access behind a removable panel, a drawer, removable bottom in a closet, etc? My coach for example, has access to the water heater plumbing by pulling off a decorative wood panel that's held in place by two spring catches. Besides possible maintenance requiring disconnecting the pipes, the access is used to operate the bypass valve(s).
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

BIKERK9
Explorer
Explorer

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I would be checking the pressure relief valve and all the rest of the tank fittings before buying a replacement. Atwood heaters, AFAIK, are all aluminum. There is very little chance that it has rusted a hole through the tank bottom like with a glass lined steel tank.

Since the heater is encased with foam insulation, a small undetected leak at a fitting can allow water to travel down the side of the tank and exit underneath.

You may very well have a broken tank but I would check the fittings and especially, the relief valve, before replacing.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well you will need to disconnect hot/cold plumbing on backside of tank
Disconnect electrical connections on electric heating element----backside of tank
Disconnect 12V DC wiring
Disconnect propane line in outside compartment
Then remove all screws in frame and pull unit

Although there doesn't appear to be access to rear of tank there probably is a panel that has to be removed.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31