Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to access/check RV slide motor? 2006 Four Winds

SJ-Chris
Explorer II
Explorer II
Greetings all.

I have a 2006 Four Winds Chateau 31p class C. It has a large slide on the driver side (slides out the couch and dinette).

Recently, the slide stopped extending and retracting. It seems like there are two motors (let's call them left and right side of the slide, looking from inside the coach) and one of them is no longer working.

Note: Coach batteries are good and fully charged, and the RV engine is running so the alternator is even providing additional charge to the batteries, so this has nothing to do with batteries.

Here are the symptoms... When I push the Extend button, the left side of the slide starts to extend but the right side does not move. The left side can extend about 3-4 inches before it can no longer make progress (...because the right side isn't moving). It does not appear that the right side is getting stuck as I can physically push it the 3-4 inches each time the left side moves out 3-4 inches. I'm GUESSING that there are two slide motors, one on the left of the slide and one on the right. Can anyone confirm that it is typical for this type/length of slide to have two motors?

It seems like the motor on the right simply is no longer working. I checked the fuses and the breakers in the converter box and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

It seems like in this model RV the motors are underneath the slide.

Here is my problem....I cannot seem to even locate or see the motors themselves. The undercarriage on this rig looks like a solid sheet. I don't see any motors or any access panels either. Inside the RV, the part that slides out is the couch and the dinette but if I look at those there is practically zero clearance for where the motors would be. It seems like the motors must be under the floor and above the solid undercarriage sheet.

Any idea how to access the slide motors in this 2006 Four Winds 31p Class C??

I tried extending the slide (...with some manual force help on the right side). I stopped with about 4-5 inches to go and I got out to look at the slide and try to look under the slide to see if I could see anything. I could see the track on the left and right side (the gear track??) but I could not see any motor and the clearance underneath the slide seems like less than half an inch (meaning no access to the motors from there).

Any thoughts how to get at the slide motors in this??

Thanks all!
Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs
3 REPLIES 3

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
If you can push the right side when you operate the left side, you do NOT have 2 motors. You have a single motor and the driveshaft/Pinion gear for that right side has sheared its pin that goes thru the shaft, hence you can push the right side. If there is NO access plate underneath the floor accessed from the undercarriage, then you have access plates/cutouts underneath the dinnette and/or the couch. They sometimes carpet over the Access plates if you have carpet. Doug

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
To what CA Traveler said I bet the bolt fell out of one side. On a trailer these timing gears would be outside of the frame, running from 1 slide support to the other. Get the slide even on both sides and replace the bolt.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Typically there is a single motor that's geared to drive 2 rack and pinions ie one on each side. In that case you're describing a mechanical problem. Look under the floor for the equipment.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob