cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kwickie step problems

MrWizard
Series 32 , I put a new AM motor #214-1009 in 2018, and new Linkage "A"
I've tested the motor and it works fine, checked the gear and it's ok no broken teeth,
With the motor off and connected to 12v power and me grabbing hold of the drive output with 2 fingers, the motor stalls out shuts down quits drawing power around 5 to 6 amps, measured with my clamp on DC ampmeter, I can't measure transient / surge peak, I don't know if this reading is correct or low, or if I have a bad controller not feeding power, or if the Motors internal protection is faulty and this shut off occurs too soon, this is fused with a 20amp FUSE in the BCC, and the step control fuse is 5 amps, fuses are good, original 1997 OEM controller 909513
I'm considering rewiring for manual operation using a DPDT momentary rocker switch, so it could not be accidentally forgotten and burn out the motor, although that appears to be a non issue, since the Motor built in protection circuit is operating, but might not be correct, does anybody know what the load current is supposed to be, and if I need a new controller, what is correct version, this is the old series 32, not the newer lippert imgl version
I'm Also considering using a wireless remote type motor controller for the step,
If I change the control wiring, I can eliminate the OEM wiring , the converter the 200AmpHR AGM and the inverter are in the compartment next to the entry door, just inches from the step
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s
11 REPLIES 11

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did you even fix your Kwickie step problem.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
deandec wrote:
Does anyone know what bad things happen when I match a Igml Controller with an pre-Igml Motor?

(The 1995 magnetic door switch was a NO switch so that should work.)

LGML
Acronym Definition
LGML Luis Gomez Memorial League (fantasy baseball)
LGML Lower Global Mask Long (computing)
???????????????????????????????????????????????

igML
Implementation Guideline Markup Language
Technology
IGML
Index of Gastric Mucosal Lesions
Gastroenterology
Medical
IGML
Indira Gandhi Memorial Library

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know what bad things happen when I match a Igml Controller with an pre-Igml Motor?

(The 1995 magnetic door switch was a NO switch so that should work.)
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

DS_Canuck
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m finding that I need to lubricate my old steps more frequently!

MrWizard
These steps have been operating for 3 years with this imgl motor and the original controller and door switch,
The motor operates runs smoothly with No indication of any problem,when removed from the steps, IIRC free running amp load was about 2 amps maybe less
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
All I can tell you is, OLDER Kwikee the stop was in the Controller. Doug

NEW style 2005 and newer controller will not work with old style controller. It is cheaper to buy the Conversion kit than to buy the new style motor and Controller as separate parts. Just remember, you also have to change the Door pin switch whether magnetic or pin switch to work with new controllers. This part also comes in the conversion kit. Failure to replace the Door switch will result in reverse operation. When you test the newer step motors, the 2 wires going to the motor will go DEAD when the step motor is stuck or bad. This is stopped by the controller, otherwise the 2 small motor wires would heat up and melt.

MrWizard
Do those relays have a thermal load protection, relays are usually on or off, with the protection being a load sense circuit that turns off the relay, or overload breaker resets

Designed to help the step automatically retract and extend when the coach door is opened and closed
Motor will automatically shut down if the step strikes an obstacle

It appears This motor has internal protection circuit from overload, this AM 214 1009, this is an imgl motor from Lippert
When I grab the shaft and stop rotation, the motor disconnects , amps go too ZERO, it does not strain or groan or click, or draw more power trying to turn
If the current old controller ( which I did not replace in 2018 ) has failed, then the new correct controller should fix the problem

Control unit 909510000 is listed as the controller sold with this motor in the conversion kit for series 32

My situation ... did The old controller fail,
Or did the motor fail by protection failure, cut out at too soon, too small a load before the motor can extend the steps
This is the reason for my question, what is the load when extending or retracting the steps,
Why have a 20/25 amp fuse if the expected load is only 6 amps , less than 33% of the fuse
I'll put the motor back in with a DIY wiring pigtail and no controller and measure the load in and out, if the motor cuts out, then I'd know for sure it's the motor, I'll order the motor, if the steps move , ill put in the recommended imgl controller or rewired for manual switch operation
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
MrWizard wrote:
Series 32 , I put a new AM motor #214-1009 in 2018, and new Linkage "A"
I've tested the motor and it works fine, checked the gear and it's ok no broken teeth,
With the motor off and connected to 12v power and me grabbing hold of the drive output with 2 fingers, the motor stalls out shuts down quits drawing power around 5 to 6 amps, measured with my clamp on DC ampmeter, I can't measure transient / surge peak, I don't know if this reading is correct or low, or if I have a bad controller not feeding power, or if the Motors internal protection is faulty and this shut off occurs too soon, this is fused with a 20amp FUSE in the BCC, and the step control fuse is 5 amps, fuses are good, original 1997 OEM controller 909513
I'm considering rewiring for manual operation using a DPDT momentary rocker switch, so it could not be accidentally forgotten and burn out the motor, although that appears to be a non issue, since the Motor built in protection circuit is operating, but might not be correct, does anybody know what the load current is supposed to be, and if I need a new controller, what is correct version, this is the old series 32, not the newer lippert imgl version
I'm Also considering using a wireless remote type motor controller for the step,
If I change the control wiring, I can eliminate the OEM wiring , the converter the 200AmpHR AGM and the inverter are in the compartment next to the entry door, just inches from the step

The "limit" for the stop of motor is a relay inside the controller. With the upgrade kit you now have a new step design except for the metal linkages and steps. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Kwikee steps older than 2005 you NEVER replace a motor or a controller(controller discontinued in 2005). You purchase and install
the Kwikee upgrade kit and this includes the Motor/Controller and new gearbox/linkage. About $355. Doug

MrWizard
I have not removed and opened the controller yet, but I might do that.
Thanks for the Tip
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I donโ€™t think you will find a new controller for a 1997, I could not for my 1996. However if it turns out to be a bad controller if you remove the translucent white case you will see a green board with components soldered in. The likely problem is one of the 2 relays that are side by side . One was slightly discord indicating burned contacts. These control the in and out movement of the steps. For example when you open the steps and the steps hit a curb it will shut off power to the motor so the motor wonโ€™t burn out. With your screen name your soldering skills are probably better than mine and with a solder sucker or the wire mesh wick the old one can be removed a a new one installed. I paid less than $4.00 for the relay in 2012.