cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onan generator dies like its out of fuel then runs fine?

Garythelegend
Explorer
Explorer
Hi I have an Onan marquis gold 5500 generator in my trailer. I had it out a month ago at 5500ft elevation. I was running it and it choked out and died like it ran out of fuel. Got home, 5250 ft elevation, gased up and it ran fine. I took it out this weekend camping at 8570ft elevation and it choked and died like it was out of fuel, I got under and looked and had over 1/3 a tank left. I started it up a while later and it ran for 15-20 minutes and died the same way. We came home and for kicks I fired it up and it ran for over an hour just fine so I shut it off. Any suggestions as to why it is doing this to me ??? 😞
10 REPLIES 10

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Garythelegend wrote:
Awesome, thanks for the help guys! I think I will get a cap and see if that works if not I will spend some money and get a pump and sensor. I really appreciate the help!

And after you do all of that, you likely will have spent MORE money that you would on a trip to a Cummins/Onan shop for a real diagnosis and fix......and it still might not be fixed.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Garythelegend
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome, thanks for the help guys! I think I will get a cap and see if that works if not I will spend some money and get a pump and sensor. I really appreciate the help!

htwheelz67
Explorer
Explorer
Try loosening the fuel tank cap or removing it and see if it does it, I ended up replacing a fuel pump in the desert and it turned out to be the fuel cap vent......but I do have a much quieter fuel pump now. I have the same generator.

alanmikkelsen
Explorer
Explorer
My LP Onan was doing the same thing, I replaced the LP regulator valve and all is well.
Of all the liars in the world, the fisherman is the most trustworthy...

HackerAce
Explorer
Explorer
I had the exact same problem and replacing the oil pressure sensor fixed it right upl
John McKean

1999 National Tropical
1965 Shelby Cobra Factory Five MK III Kit
2015 Hyundai Genesis
2013 Polaris RZR 800 S

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not very techy and know diddly squat about mechanical things, but I recall when we gave ours a huge service at home, filters, fluids etc, I think I read somewhere in the manual that you have a setting on it for different elevations you should change. Just mentioning and might be worth checking in your manual for operating at high elevations versus sea level etc.

?Carburator adjustment at high altitudes?????? Just mentioning FWIW.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is a different model Onan, but we had the same symptoms. A new fuel pump fixed the problem.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

Garythelegend
Explorer
Explorer
Oil is fine, I'll try the fuel filter

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Let's see......if the tank vent (probably located in the cap) was plugged up, would it develop a vacuum in the tank quicker at a higher elevation ?? Maybe.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum.

Did you check the oil level in the generator? If the level is good, maybe the low oil sensor is bad.

When was the last time you changed the generator fuel filter?