cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onan microquiet 4000 cranking issue

Rangoon
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone had this issue with there Onan generator. When you hold down the start button whether it’s inside the house or the one on the generator, it cranks for a split second and then stops and then cranks again and then stops. Most of the time it will start after priming but I can’t pinpoint why it’s doing this. I’ve replaced the solenoid, the starter, and checked all my wiring. This form won’t let me upload a video but here’s a link to my YouTube channel of me trying to start the generator. https://youtu.be/Za5ONdKySrI
8 REPLIES 8

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the update!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Explorer II
Explorer II
We were suspecting a bad connection somewhere. I had my money on a bad crimp.

Glad you found it
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Rangoon
Explorer
Explorer
Im embarrassed to say it was just a bad ground to the chassis. It was secure so I didn’t think any thing would be wrong. I took it off to check and to had a lot of rust underneath. I cleaned it up and put dielectric greas on it and put it back together. It cranks like new. Thanks for all the help.

Explorer II
Explorer II
Measure the battery voltage in 2 steps
1st while trying to start it, measure the battery voltage while touching the battery posts. Touch only the lead posts with the probes. The battery voltage dropped to what voltage?
2nd while trying to start it, measure the voltage at the cable connectors connected to the battery. Only touch the cables. If you have exposed copper cable, measure there. That will test the crimp. What did the voltage drop to?

Is there a voltage difference between the 2 measurements?
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like a weak battery or marginal cables.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Rangoon,

Welcome to the forums.

Check for voltage drop under load. What voltage are the batteries? (again under load).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like there is a loose or dirty battery connection.
Bobbo, thanks for doing link!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rangoon wrote:
Anyone had this issue with there Onan generator. When you hold down the start button whether it’s inside the house or the one on the generator, it cranks for a split second and then stops and then cranks again and then stops. Most of the time it will start after priming but I can’t pinpoint why it’s doing this. I’ve replaced the solenoid, the starter, and checked all my wiring. This form won’t let me upload a video but here’s a link to my YouTube channel of me trying to start the generator. https://youtu.be/Za5ONdKySrI

Rangoon's link

New members can't post links till they hit so many posts. I don't remember the number.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB