cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

PD Vs. WFCO

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
So my plans have been to replace the WFCO converter in my 2015 20fw with a Progressive Dynamics retro-fit unit that essentially replaces the converter using the same 120v/12v power center. Part of this retrofit would be to replace the existing #8 conductor that goes from the power center to the batteries with a #2 to minimize loss over the length of the run. I would be doing this specifically for emergency charging if we were somewhere and the solar couldn't keep up with due to clouds. I know the WFCO units are considered pretty crummy compared to the Progressive Dynamics......But reading further, in the manual, the WFCO is "smart"(maybe not a genius) and has a 3 stage charging profile. Charges bulk @ 14.4, for 4 hrs which isn't great(the 14.4 part) but would probably work ok. Then it backs off to 13.6 for absorption mode and 13.2 for float. Since they are both multi stage charging units with similar profiles, what is the real advantage of the P.D.? Must be something better about them as Lance and ORV are using P.D. now in their coaches.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!
13 REPLIES 13

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have owned 3 RV's that came with WFCO converters. Two of them got PD units dropped in within a month, the other TT got sold after one trip because the wife didn't like it. We actually made money on that one because we bought it used at a good price and sold just before Memorial Day at a better price. I never saw any of the three WFCO units get above 13.4 even on a low battery. I carried my garage battery charger around until I got the PD's installed.
I also added a heavier charging wire to every RV.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for all the comments. The wire will be replaced first as the belly of the coach is down right now and I have free rein of the under side of the coach. The P.D. seems like the one one to go with for sure when you consider the cost of the product, the ease of installation and the upgrade you're getting. One thing to remember, in my case, is the only time I will plug a genny in and use it to charge up the batteries is if something has gone desperately wrong with our camping plans and the solar won't keep the batteries charged due to cloud cover.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
PD has a few features. if it sits in "Float" for over 20 hours it does a quick (15 minutes as I recall) Equalization/desulfate cycle that may well improve battery life. It is much more reliable (Mu first lasted over 12 years) and it is made in the USA (When it failed I dropped in on the factory in Marshall, Michigan at the corner of Industerial and old US-27 whatever they call it now days, about half a mile south of the Brooks Memorial Fountain) and walked out with a refurburished unit.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
My vote is to immediately replace the WFCO with the PD at the same time as the wire is replaced. As has been mentioned, the WFCO generally never goes above 13.6v.

when I replaced my WFCO with a PD I kept the old WFCO unit. Friend had a 5th wheel with a WFCO, which of course would go to boost charge. So, I put a plug on the WFCO, took a few feet of #4 welding cable with studs on one end, connected the WFCO to his house batteries (two GC2) discharged to about 50%. Turned on the WFCO to see if it would go to boost. NOPE, tried and tried. so, he swapped out his WFCO in the trailer with the long run of #6 wire, plugged in the PD batteries charging in boost mode at 45A.

Just don't trust the WFCO to go into boost mode charging. Many times I've seen campers in our boondock locations running a generator all day with a WFCO and complaining they couldn't get through the night on the battery. Wonder why we only charged for an hour or two. Took my handy clamp on hall effect current meter and showed the WFCO was only charging at 10A or so and the draw in the trailer was a few amps, so really not charging at all, just running out of gas.

WFCO good point, you'll probably never run the battery low on water. But you' easily destroy a good battery prematurely by never getting it fully charged. 13.6V will never get the battery charged.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
My vote is to immediately replace the WFCO with the PD at the same time as the wire is replaced. As has been mentioned, the WFCO generally never goes above 13.6v.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
I think #4 wire is the max the connectors in the WFCO power center will accept. Might even try the wire first and give the WFCO a test before you go PD. If voltage into a low battery stops at 13.6 the WFCO is a fail.

This is my thought as well. I'll go the wire route first since the wire is going in no matter what. I figured the #2 isn't going into the converter so I'll use a lug and reduce it to whatever size will fit into the receptacle on the converter.
V-465

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
CA Traveler wrote:
14.4V is good but the 4 hours of bulk charging is not. The time should adjust to the battery charge level. A charged or partially battery should quickly enter absorb or float mode with reduced amps and voltage and stablize at a float voltage of 13.4V.

The actual mfg battery specs may vary slightly from the above.

I agree with your thought on the 4hrs vs, just charge 'til it's done or at least 80% on bulk.
V-465

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
ktmrfs wrote:
Problem with WFCO is they very very very seldom ever go into the bulk charging mode. So.... your almost or always stuck in the absorption mode for charging which is very very slow on a discharged battery.

Starting with the #8 wire if it is of any length the WFCO will likely never go into bulk mode.

Well,
the #8 wire is the first to go. It will be replaced by #2 since I have the belly(coroplast)down.
V-465

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A WFCO can be compared to today's political climate. In a word "Don't Go There".

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I think #4 wire is the max the connectors in the WFCO power center will accept. Might even try the wire first and give the WFCO a test before you go PD. If voltage into a low battery stops at 13.6 the WFCO is a fail.

Explorer II
Explorer II
I've owned 3 WFCO converters over the years and have never seen anything but 13.6V out of them. Smart they are not.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
14.4V is good but the 4 hours of bulk charging is not. The time should adjust to the battery charge level. A charged or partially battery should quickly enter absorb or float mode with reduced amps and voltage and stablize at a float voltage of 13.4V.

The actual mfg battery specs may vary slightly from the above.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Problem with WFCO is they very very very seldom ever go into the bulk charging mode. So.... your almost or always stuck in the absorption mode for charging which is very very slow on a discharged battery.

Starting with the #8 wire if it is of any length the WFCO will likely never go into bulk mode.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!