cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portable or Hardwired EMS?

Powertour
Explorer II
Explorer II
To me it'd be a no-brainer to have a hard wired unit if we were full timers but we're not.

Wondering if it'd make more sense to get an exterior unit considering:

- We're weekenders
- I can see where we might change out rigs sometime within the next 5yrs

Also, I can see benefit in being able to test different pedestals w/out having to move the rig should a fault be found at an initially assigned spot.

Understand a big downside is potential theft of exterior EMS units, just wondering if other than that there's much of a downside to having one.
2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10
35 REPLIES 35

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put a hardwired unit in my first (30 amp) RV. When I went to sell it and buy another 30 amp unit, I took the hardwired unit out, put a set of 30 amp twist lock plug and outlet on the wires and plugged them together. That 30 amp hardwired unit is now in my current RV.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I know me. If I had to plug it in I might not bother at times.
HW is always there no matter what.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Now due to a very attractive sale at Camping world I just "installed" a Surge Guard by TRC (The company name on the box is different but it's TRC)

TRC (Technology Research) is now owned by Southwire.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I'm not really sure I understand this "One more thing to remember to do". My portable EMS is always plugged into my electric cord, and the EMS is what is plugged into the pedestal. Last time I checked you had to plug into the pedestal to get power to the RV.
So my cord pulls nicely from the mouse hole. EMS not going to fit. Need a place to store in transit and need to pull it out etc.
That do make a difference for sure. For cords that have to be plugged in at both ends, not so much.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
How about "both" sort of....

Now due to a very attractive sale at Camping world I just "installed" a Surge Guard by TRC (The company name on the box is different but it's TRC)

I used to have an older portable I got for shipping plus repair (needed new 50 amp outlet)

I stripped the plug and outlet off the old failed portable and transfered them to the new HW unit. Protected the terminals (They are exposed. I do not like exposed terminals so I protected them multiple layers of protection) and "Installed" it between my Hughes Autoforme (already"installed") and my Auto Transfer Switch.

The Install is same as the Autoformer so google the Hughes install kit.. Which I home made.

Works (So far) very well

NOTE

Park--Hughes--TRC Surge guard--Transfer

That way if the park is a tad anemic (next week has that issue) the hughes makes up for it so the Surge Guard passes power.

So far it's shut me down once. (Power in that park can be very anemic).

Fun 2 weeks. IN addition to doctor's appointments (2 different docs)
New cooling unit in fridge
New floor in slide out
Got rid of 15 year old cat-shredded couch
Serviced Front A/C (Read did not need it) Thanfuly a Coleman (Easier to service)
Mopped roof
Washed entire outside
Waxed Entire outside with "Ceramic Wax" (Easier than the other kind we will see how it works).

Tomorrow I change campgrounds

Tired am I.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
I'm not really sure I understand this "One more thing to remember to do". My portable EMS is always plugged into my electric cord, and the EMS is what is plugged into the pedestal. Last time I checked you had to plug into the pedestal to get power to the RV.
So my cord pulls nicely from the mouse hole. EMS not going to fit. Need a place to store in transit and need to pull it out etc.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III

In order to use a hardwired EMS, I'd have to do some fancy rigging, plus it would not be easily accessible if I needed to have it repaired/replaced.

OTOH my old SurgeGuard bit the dust after suffering water intrusion. The PI I have now looks to be much more watertight than the SurgeGuard.

I have never heard of anyone having their EMS stolen, not even any rumors or hearsay.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Just a weekender mostly. Last thing I want is one more chore to remember and execute.
Mine is hardwired. Could easily swap to the next RV but I would probably just get a new one as it might be a 50 amp next time.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are fulltime and I hard wired the unit. We stay weeks or months at one location. Personally, being a weekender etc. that is just one more thing to hook up and unhook. If like me I could get lazy some weekend, and say, "ah, been here before, was OK so baloney on putting it in line". Just find the entrance cable, cut it at a convenient location, and install, always there, good to go. Trading rigs, undo what you had done, splice cable back together.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
MDKMDK wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
My 2004 hardwired unit is in the second rig. In each case it's installed without cutting/splicing any existing wiring so trivia to remove and restore original wiring. It also has a remote display inside the rig which is a HUGE advantage over a portable. Voltage, amps, error codes are all easy to see. A data wire has to be routed to the remote.

Ya gotta plug it in, don't you? You can easily see the portable unit's display as well, when you're outside the coach doing that. If it reacts to something and cuts power, you're not likely going to be able to either trouble shoot or resolve it from the comfort of the inside of your coach, you're most likely going to have to exit the vehicle at some point to resolve the problem, so it's really not a huge advantage. Very few shore power issues occur inside your coach.
The problems are rarely apparent when you plug in and almost always occur UNDER LOAD. Especially true on 30A pedestals.

Just can't beat seeing issues like low voltage from inside. Or when I return on a hot day and go inside I can check for low voltage with the Prior Error code - RED FLAG start observing and/or take corrective action. Not likely to stop by the pedestal first to see (if possible in the sun) what is going on.

2 months after the 2004 install and 10:00 PM power was shut down and the PI unit showed 160V on a 30A pedestal. Fliped off the rig CB, got dressed and pulled the power plug.

BTW with 15 years of use there were only 2 times when the PI unit would not initially connect. Both times is was reverse polarity on a 30A pedestal.

So I'll take the hardwired unit and inside display any day. But to each his own.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
I use this before plugging in.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I prefer the hard wired one,less to remember and I like the remote I always use This to check the pedestal before I back in and I am ready to go.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
My 2004 hardwired unit is in the second rig. In each case it's installed without cutting/splicing any existing wiring so trivia to remove and restore original wiring. It also has a remote display inside the rig which is a HUGE advantage over a portable. Voltage, amps, error codes are all easy to see. A data wire has to be routed to the remote.

Ya gotta plug it in, don't you? You can easily see the portable unit's display as well, when you're outside the coach doing that. If it reacts to something and cuts power, you're not likely going to be able to either trouble shoot or resolve it from the comfort of the inside of your coach, you're most likely going to have to exit the vehicle at some point to resolve the problem, so it's really not a huge advantage. Very few shore power issues occur inside your coach.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
we chose the hard wired unit for convenience (we are nit FT). a bonus was the remote monitor mounted inside the coach.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob