cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing Canopies on Carefree Window & Door Awnings

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of my window awning canopies needed replacement. As they match my large awning which is still in good shape, I wanted the same fabric. I emailed Monaco and they were able to give me the part numbers for each of the awnings. Turns out you should also be able to find a sticker on the awning roller that has the part number - just unroll the awning all the way.

I had tried a couple of online dealers without much luck and finally gave Shade Pro a try. They said that with the model number of the awnings they knew exactly what fabric and sizes I needed - no need to measure anything. I had my order placed in about 6 minutes. They arrived just a few days later.

Now, how to go about replacing? I found threads about replacing fabric on large awnings, but not about the window awnings. I kinda figured it out as I went and thought I would share my experience. In the end it was incredibly easy. This applies to both window and over-the-door awnings like mine.

First, fully extend and secure the awning. Remove the hex screw from the cap on the end of each arm. Note on the end of the cap it shows which way to turn them to tighten the spring.

In preparation to release the spring tension, attach vise grips to one of the arm caps. Not shown here, but you may want to put something there to protect the cap from getting scratched.

Get a good hold on the cap/vise grips and carefully slide the cap off the end of the arm. You may need to bump it with something to get it going. Don't worry - the tension is only moderate and will not get away from you if you grasp it firmly.

Continue holding the cap/vise with one hand and grasp the end of the roller with the other. Let the end cap slowly spin in a controlled manner until the tension is relieved. MAKE NOTE of the number of turns so you can reapply tension properly. For me it was 6-7 turns.

Once the tension is off one spring, put the end cap back on that arm and repeat for the other side.

I found that on the coach side of the canopy, they crimped the metal to hold the fabric on place, making it difficult to get the old canopy out and the new one in. Rather than doing that on the side of the rig, note that the slats in the awning cover can be slid out.

Just remove the screw on one end of the slat you want to slide out. Slide the roller off both arms, being careful not to let them fall and damage the rig. Roll the fabric up on the roller and then slide the assembly out of the awning cover - away from the screw you removed.

Once the awning roller and canopy is off, do what is required to open the crimped slat and remove it from the fabric. I used a combination of screwdrivers and pliers to uncrimp it - just be careful not to damage the side that shows. I also took a drill bit and tapped it into the slot to make sure it was fully open so the fabric would slide easily.

On one end of the roller, drill out the two rivets and remove the end cap assembly. Make a note of the orientation of the scalloped edge of the fabric to the roller and slide out the fabric and pull-strap.

Slide the new fabric into the roller, making sure you orient the scalloped edge properly. DON'T FORGET to also slide in the new pull strap in the opposite slot. Replace the end cap assembly and secure with new rivets (3/16" diameter, 3/16-1/4" grip).

Slide the slat back onto the other end of the canopy, again making sure it is properly oriented. Use pliers to re-crimp the back of the slat.

Roll the fabric up on the roller and then slide the assembly back in the awning cover on the rig. Unroll the fabric and place the end caps back on the arms. Replace the screw in the end of the slat. Without spring tension, the awnings will seem too long, but not to worry...

Again use the vise grips to grasp one of the end caps. Slide it off the arm and turn in the direction indicated on the end cap to tension the spring. Turn it the same number of turns as you noted when relieving the tension. Place the tensioned end cap back on the arm, replace the hex screw then repeat on the other side.
Roaming Full Timer
0 REPLIES 0