cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satellite question

Rygar
Explorer
Explorer
Here goes, please, don't flame me if you think I'm an idiot, but, I'm on my way to Florida for the winter. I had Shaw Direct install a satellite system in my fifth wheel. They talked me out of a roof mount with a remote finder. So, I now have a dish on a tripod and I'm having an awful time setting it up when I stop. It's hit and miss whether I can diddle it around enough to find a signal and frankly it's a pain in the backside. So, my question is, can I get a dish in the states installed that is compatible with shaw direct?
2011 Montana 3455SA
2013 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab King Ranch SRW
Gary & Jane Retired Toy Store owners
2 Sheltie Furkids Cammie & Stormy
17 REPLIES 17

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winegard DOES offer a Carryout style dome for Shaw but it only works in Canada and requires manual skew adjustments.
For Shaw in the US you need a Winegard Trav'ler or a tripod based Shaw antenna and LNB combo.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dream_Chaser! wrote:
The Winegard portable dish for Shaw WILL NOT WORK in southern USA. The signal is weaker in Florida than Canada and therefore you need a larger dish to get the signal.

The portable is no good for the high def channels even in Canada.
I don't think Winegard offers a portable dish for Shaw.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
wa8yxm wrote:
I am amazed you can get Shaw in Fl.. You are well out of the footprint for their satellites.
Uhhh, nope.

Only G1 has the small footprint.

Lenny_K
Explorer
Explorer
In Arizona there are a few places that will install Shaw on your roof. The last time I had checked it was about $1400.00. I'm sure if Shaw is receivable in Florida there will be dealers available also to support the snowbirds.
Lenny and Ros
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LTZ Duramax 4x4 CC Dually, Banks Speed Brake
2012 Montana 3400 RL 680 Watts Solar, 440 Amps of Batteries, GP-ISW2000-12 Inverter, Trimetric 2020, EMSHW50C, Sailun Tires

Lenny_K
Explorer
Explorer
As others have been saying you must have your tripod perfectly level to be able to find the satellites easily. I use the large Shaw dish and have no problems with receiving HD on the two older Shaw satellites that are available in the US.
Lenny and Ros
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LTZ Duramax 4x4 CC Dually, Banks Speed Brake
2012 Montana 3400 RL 680 Watts Solar, 440 Amps of Batteries, GP-ISW2000-12 Inverter, Trimetric 2020, EMSHW50C, Sailun Tires

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
RF Mogul is a full array dish and they indicate Shaw reception in most of the US. I have no personal experience with Shaw.

Due to the expense of automated dishes I'd want to understand the longer range plan for Shaw beam maps. DTV keeps the map as close to the borders as practical which I believe is a US requirement.

For DTV RF Mogul has 70 and 75 cm dishes.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am amazed you can get Shaw in Fl.. You are well out of the footprint for their satellites.

Google TV Satellite Footprints. Find the bird you use and you should see a map.. Not much south of the Mason-Dixon line is coverd by Shaw or Bell.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, no, no to CW! No telling how long you would be without your rig. Not to mention questionable quality of work. When you get to FL ask around the campground. Most snowbird campground offices keep a list of preferred mobile techs. In most of the big snowbird campgrounds in AZ, you can just keep an eye out for sat installers working in the park and flag them down. If all else fail just use the net to find someone in the area.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Dream_Chaser_
Explorer
Explorer
The Winegard portable dish for Shaw WILL NOT WORK in southern USA. The signal is weaker in Florida than Canada and therefore you need a larger dish to get the signal.

The portable is no good for the high def channels even in Canada.

Use a tripod with an eliptical dish. Once set up you are good to go.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rygar wrote:
Here goes, please, don't flame me if you think I'm an idiot, but, I'm on my way to Florida for the winter. I had Shaw Direct install a satellite system in my fifth wheel. They talked me out of a roof mount with a remote finder. So, I now have a dish on a tripod and I'm having an awful time setting it up when I stop. It's hit and miss whether I can diddle it around enough to find a signal and frankly it's a pain in the backside. So, my question is, can I get a dish in the states installed that is compatible with shaw direct?

Yes, the Winegard Trav'ler for Shaw. It's usually a special order unit but it is available and it works great.
Check with your campground to see if they have a local satellite guy. If they do he will likely be a Winegard dealer and will be able to do the installation locally. It's not cheap but the installation should only cost about $300. He if wants too much more than you can find online, just ask what he would charge to install an antenna you supply. It should be 400-500 dollars.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Yep, level, level, level. Then turn right and left.

Do use a dishfinder app that will let you see the birds and any thing that might be blockiing it.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
The most difficult procedure of setting up a tripod is making sure the mast is plumb. Then using a meter to check signal strength. I have found a flat rectangular platform made it easier to level and have the mast plumb.

Rygar
Explorer
Explorer
I see that I can buy everything I need from Camping World. I wonder if I should get them to install or buy it and find an installer when I'm parked for a while?
2011 Montana 3455SA

Rygar
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Joe, I appreciate the help.
2011 Montana 3455SA