cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Scented bleach

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are these new bleaches that are scented leave any undesirable chemicals when used to disinfect a water system? I usually put a few drops of bleach on the water filter before returning it to the housing and closing the system after I winterize.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A
7 REPLIES 7

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Every water sanitizing article I have ever read made a point about using "unscented" bleach. Not sure it would kill you - but unscented is cheaper and they say to avoid so why take the chance.
Kevin

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
All I know is I accidentally bought a scented bleach and put it into my laundry. That stank stayed on my clothes so bad I had to rewash them.

I certainly would NOT put scented bleach into my plastic water lines in the RV.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
It might be my "Mildly Paranoid" diagnosis but in this case I support the nay sayers.. I feel the Sent may well be something I would rather not ingest So I would recommend AGAINST sented bleach...
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have used scented bleach many times to disinfect the water system and have never smell the scent after flushing the system.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
It was some time ago, but I remember reading a label on a bottle of scented bleach that cautioned against using it for water treatment or in water systems.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
No, don't use scented bleach. That perfume will get "stuck" in the plastic plumbing of an RV and you'll have a little wiff of it in every glass of water.

Same thing for alternative "bleach" with stain fighters etc. Like Mex said, sodium hypochlorite salt and nothing else.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I would be inclined to use pure sodium hypochlorite and nothing else. If I wanted to add some kind of scent to the water I would add genuine vanilla extract. Grumble grumble - and I would hesitate to add vanilla to the washing machine. Just sayin'