Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shower drain

kellygirl6767
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
Our shower drain is draining extremely slow, we suspect hair clogging. What is safe to use to resolve this problem? We are in a 37' class A. Great water is not full.

Thanks!
On the Rhoda again!
15 REPLIES 15

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Ours plug up at the drain strainer. Just wipe my hand over it and problem solved. The ones in the S&B does it to, but takes a little more work to clear.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
I use forceps from my fly fishing vest to fish the nasty hair clogs out of the drain.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If going this route and using lye or liquid drano, make sure it is not dumped into a private on-site septic system as it can destroy a disposal field resulting in many thousands of $$ in damage.

ernie1 wrote:
To dissolve the hair in the shower drain of my house, I've used sodium hydroxide or lye. It literally dissolves it into little bitty pieces! Try placing some hair into a solution of lye and see what happens. Yes, lye is caustic and can damage your skin or eyes but so is "Easy Off" oven cleaner which is actually lye in a paste form. I'm NOT recommending you use this stuff over some of the other safer methods mentioned already. Just saying that's what I use which is in a diluted form and it works. I also use this in a more concentrated form on my cooking utensils and surfaces to remove black cooked on materials. Again, I'm not advocating this stuff to be used for your drain because in the wrong hands it could cause an injury.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
To dissolve the hair in the shower drain of my house, I've used sodium hydroxide or lye. It literally dissolves it into little bitty pieces! Try placing some hair into a solution of lye and see what happens. Yes, lye is caustic and can damage your skin or eyes but so is "Easy Off" oven cleaner which is actually lye in a paste form. I'm NOT recommending you use this stuff over some of the other safer methods mentioned already. Just saying that's what I use which is in a diluted form and it works. I also use this in a more concentrated form on my cooking utensils and surfaces to remove black cooked on materials. Again, I'm not advocating this stuff to be used for your drain because in the wrong hands it could cause an injury.

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
Bottom line is that you have to get it out. Nothing will dissolve hair in your camper (or in your home plumbing).
magic43

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Speaking of the towel wrapped hose idea......

Hardware stores sell a bladder like thying it is black rubber,, Kind of barrel shaped,, Comes in assorted sizes from 1 to 4 inches (I think that's the range the 4" one is likely 3" but expands to 4.5 or so)

Hook it to a hose. Shove it down the drain and it will expand to seal, then a release valve on the end lets water pass putting full city water pressure behind the push.. I've blown quite a few clogs using those over the years.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If above doesn't work, there should be an access cover on side of the shower pan (or tub) that provides access to the P-trap. If the P-trap can't be undone, you could possibly cut the 1 1/2" pipe and add a removable coupling - *if* you can reach into the tight space.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Ours did that once...pulled the little round plate off....and drilled all the holes out to a bigger size......no problems since!
cpaulsen

bamcote
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Clicky
DH, DW, Tildie, Bella and
Molly the Maine Coon
and Greta the shorkie pup

2008 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z
2007 Saturn Vue AWD with Ready Brake Brute

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
These work well http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraft-Zip-It-Bath-and-Sink-Hair-Snare-BC00400/100665735

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
We use one of those little basket strainers in ours. Several girls with long hair. Never had a clog.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
TRY ONE OF THESE
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Explorer II
Explorer II
I unclogged ours with a typical bathroom plunger.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take the small chrome cover off and reach down there and pull the mess out. I was able to use a pair of long nose plyers. Amazing how much crud gets stuck there.