cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide Out is Blowing Fuses

bisaacs
Explorer
Explorer
My daughter has a Rockwood Roo hybrid that blows a 30 amp fuse whenever the slide out is closed all the way. I thought I had the problem solved by thoroughly lubricating the slide, but the problem has returned. Nothing seems to be binding, there are no wires being pinched--everything worked fine last year.

When the slide is extended, we can hear a "clutch" of some sort making a nasty noise when it reaches the end of its travel. Upon retraction, there is no clutch noise; the fuse simply blows as soon as the gasket around the slide is compressed.

We have found that by being very careful and stopping at exactly the right spot we can save ourselves from a fuse change but this feels more like a workaround than a solution. At the moment I'm thinking of changing the fuse size to 35 amps. This, combined with careful retraction, would probably go a long way towards correcting the situation. I'm sure no dealer would recommend this, but at this point I really don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Bob
24 REPLIES 24

MrWizard
congrats.. your steps closer to fixing your slide

i hope the OP also has good luck with his daughters rv
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

jyrostng
Explorer
Explorer
jyrostng wrote:
MrWizard wrote:
electric slide motor ? Not hydraulic
there should either be a load sense circuit, like automatic steps use
or a position stop switch
which ever design is being used, it is now malfunctioning
get out the books and look it up and find the part
if she doesn't have the books, get the slide model info and look online for the service info

in the meantime, maybe replace the fuse with an auto reset DC breaker, in place of the fuse, the right size, no need to go over size and damage the motor
it will trip when you get the slide all the way in and motor load goes up, then reset in a few minutes
so the slide will go out next time
BUT find that book and the problem
before the motor is damaged and there are (2) problems

My 2000 southwind has no load sense, just a in and out switch.

I found a book, I know what the load board looks like and how to adjust it, I can find it nowhere, mine was also blowing a fuse when closing, the 30amp breaker box fixed it, the in/out button at the door is the only control I see, it will continue to try and move when closed if I push that button. I've looked all over for a load control board.
2000 F53 Southwind 32v

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Should at least be diagnosed. If the numbers check out OK that takes you down one path. Excessive amperage will lead you down quite a different way.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Do not increase the fuse side. Find the problem and fix it. I would consider a 30 or 25 amp circuit breaker.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MrWizard
is yours electric motor driven slide or hydraulic ( BIG DIFFERENCE )

if its electric motor driven, what stops it from blowing the fuse, if you hold the switch after the slide is retracted, most people do't let go of the switch until after the slide stops moving
there has to be something that 'stops the motor' and its not the switch your pushing on
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

jyrostng
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
if she doesn't have the books, get the slide model info and look online for the service info

in the meantime, maybe replace the fuse with an auto reset DC breaker, in place of the fuse, the right size, no need to go over size and damage the motor
it will trip when you get the slide all the way in and motor load goes up, then reset in a few minutes

My 2000 southwind has no load sense, just a in and out switch.
2000 F53 Southwind 32v

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If the fuse is just in-line near the battery... I also would be tempted to go 35 or 40 amp.
If the fuse is on a control board then I would be looking closer at the motor if it could be worn out or have an internal short.

MrWizard

I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

jyrostng
Explorer
Explorer
the slide feeds from the battery somewhere, My fuse was a line fuse inside the battery box, I replaced it with a 30 amp ckt breaker like this, 30 amp breaker
2000 F53 Southwind 32v

westend
Explorer
Explorer
There is an overload on the circuit when it approaches the closed position. It may be difficult to find but I would start with finding the point that the motor starts drawing higher amps. After that position is located, you can inspect and see if something is causing the motor to draw the extra amps. It may be a bad alignment, a loose rail, or some other mechanical binding.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton