cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar question

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading out west for vacation and will be staying in several no hookup sites. although we have a generator, our camper is not in any way wired for solar - it doesn't even have a 12 volt plug. I was looking at this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A3UGHOA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p86_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=c...

to use when the generator is off overnight to power my husband's cpap machine and perhaps the tv and directv box. has anyone used this product or perhaps knows of something similar?
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs
54 REPLIES 54

ericandsusan1
Explorer
Explorer
I may be a couple months too late, but I think I the best option with no 12V outlets in the RV. I had a very similar issue. I am on a BiPap and camp a lot without hooks. I bought this...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-Electric-6-in-1-Jump-Starter/25955544
Cost about $100. I have used it for my BiPap for about 45 nights over the last 4 months and it has worked great. (use the 12V for better efficiency) I even use it to charge my cell phone during the day. I use the generator approximately 2 hours to charge it back to 100%. It will run at least 2 nights without being charged. I haven't tried more than that.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, leave panels uncovered an on. They're always charging. It would be difficult, even if you wanted to cover them, to find anything that wouldn't be torn to shreds by 60+mph winds.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Robert812
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Never cover panels when driving. Why would you want to do that?

To protect the panels I guess. I heard somewhere while on the road, shut your panels off? Didn't know why. This is still new to me, these 200 watt panels on 6-volt battery's are working great for me. Would think driving down the road that my camper was being charged. that;s a good thing. thanks

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never cover panels when driving. Why would you want to do that?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Robert812
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All, Question if I may. I have 2 100watt panels on the roof. While on the road, do you cover the panels? Also there are some sites I like and have to go down under some tree's.(I know i'm not using the panels, hooked up to power)
Should I cover the panels so tree things and stuff don't fall on them? I can make a cover from alum channel and ply to put over when traveling. and idea's?
Thanks

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Some WFCO do work well. And I have found once in boost mode WFCO charges more amps than rated. Excellent converter if you actually get boost when expected.

I always suggest a test before spending money. The fix is quite an effort and some money so I always suggest replacement for a no go.

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
smkettner wrote:
Ah, another dreaded WFCO 55. These are notorious for not going to boost mode when expected such as batteries down 50%.

Give it a test before you spend money but I think you will want a new converter if you expect a decent charge from the generator. Turn a light on until battery gets down to 12.2v to 12.0v zone. Then run the generator while watching voltage. Battery should climb to 14.0+ volts within 30 to 60 minutes and you are good to go. If battery is 13.6 max then you have no boost charge and it will take 8+ hours for a 90% charge.

IOTA, PowerMax, Progressive Dynamics are the best replacements. These charge at 14.4+ volts every time to get you to 90%+ in 2 to 3 hours.

Never had an issue with mine It's in an 04 toyhauler.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Almot, you can still get Trojan 370Ah L16's (you can get them up to 435Ah) for $260 each from batteriesinaflash.com. That's where I got mine. Knowing what I know now, if I were to do it all over again, I'd bought two Lifeline 400Ah 6V AGM's and 400-500W of solar.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old & Slow wrote:
Camping was always silent. Now with solar and a great batt bank, that's what got to my soul. Again, what was the cost of your batt bank? If it was $1000, to me, that's okay. Silence at any cost. Now. we're camping folks.

There is an old rule that other peoples sh-t stinks more. It is very annoying to listen to somebody's generator all day long. What makes it worse is that there is often no reason - no CPAP or AC. Sometimes they even have a mismatched assortment of solar panels on the roof, with thin wires and mutual shading.

4*L6 was $1,000 some years ago, now it's close to $1,300.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Old & Slow wrote:
mena661,

Wow, to much noise for even my old ears:( That is just the reason you made a convert of me to solar. With the awesome batt bank you have, I would have been so happy in the old days of camping. When camping was really camping. Camping was always silent. Now with solar and a great batt bank, that's what got to my soul. Again, what was the cost of your batt bank? If it was $1000, to me, that's okay. Silence at any cost. Now. we're camping folks.
Pretty much spot on ($1100) for the batt bank and, yes, I got the huge bank so I wouldn't have to hear a generator. Unfortunately (well not really), the new to us rig has a convection oven but I don't have a large enough inverter (yet) to run it from battery so the built-in genny gets used for that. I plan to get a larger inverter and a couple of solar panels eventually so I can go back to complete silence again. My old rig (5th wheel) didn't have a genny nor did I own one. If you want noiseless camping, solar and more batteries are it. BTW, there are MANY people here that disagree with me on Honda's and Yamaha's being noisy. I will say that they're quiet for generators but are still noisy in a quiet campground.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Old & Slow wrote:
smkettner wrote:
Ah, another dreaded WFCO 55. These are notorious for not going to boost mode when expected such as batteries down 50%.

IOTA, PowerMax, Progressive Dynamics are the best replacements. These charge at 14.4+ volts every time to get you to 90%+ in 2 to 3 hours.

On average, got any idea how many watts thay input in boost mode. The question has to do with tring to stay in low rpm with, say, a Honda or yamaha 1000i/2000i. The most silence being the virtue. Personaly, I would rather charge longer, more silent, than to have a gen running loud. But then, she may only charge while hooking up to power.

Not sure what generator the OP has but you can get about 40 amps into the battery from a 1000w and twice that from a 2000w generator. If you expect your honda/yamaha to mostly stay throttled down I would cut those numbers in half.

I think smallest IOTA is 15 amps, PowerMax 35 amps, PD 35 amps. So to run a 1000w near idle I think you will need the IOTA.

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
mena661,

Wow, to much noise for even my old ears:( That is just the reason you made a convert of me to solar. With the awesome batt bank you have, I would have been so happy in the old days of camping. When camping was really camping. Camping was always silent. Now with solar and a great batt bank, that's what got to my soul. Again, what was the cost of your batt bank? If it was $1000, to me, that's okay. Silence at any cost. Now. we're camping folks.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
I'd max out a Honda 2000 so that I wouldn't have too hear that******all day long. Best to get it out of the way IMO. I believe a 55 amp converter will run on the Honda 2000.

EDIT: I might even see if the Powermax Boondocker 100 amp converter could run from the Honda 2000.

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:

On average, got any idea how many watts thay input in boost mode. The question has to do with tring to stay in low rpm with, say, a Honda or yamaha 1000i/2000i. The most silence being the virtue. Personaly, I would rather charge longer, more silent, than to have a gen running loud. But then, she may only charge while hooking up to power.