Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suburban water heater leak

sundowners
Explorer
Explorer
Hi
during the summer our water heater started to leak:(----
Water is coming out of the burner tube (where the LPG flame goes)-------are there any seals in there that may have blown------or is it cracked---toast----the whole thing was fitted new in 2010 so I don't think it would have rusted through ??
Can these tanks be taken apart ??----if I remove it, is there any chance of fixing it ??------------this is our first trip away without having hot water and we miss it:(

Thanks for any help
Nigel & Pamala------soggy UK
13 REPLIES 13

sundowners
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all
I didn't realise I hadn't replied to you all-- sorry about that--??
In the end I patched it with two part hi temp metal putty-- that fixed it until we decided to dismantle the lance demountable and sell our 5.9 cummins Dodge

We now have an off- grid cabin in the hills of central Portugal--- we converted a brick shed!!
It had several camper windows, camper door with original fly door, black tank/ grey tank toilet and basin, big camper fridge/ freezer and kitchen sink----- we left the water heater and furnace and sold A/c unit------- we do miss the Ram and truck camper but had to move on!!!---- it did leave us with fantastic memories from Texas to Alaska and south Portugal to the northern tip of Norway----an important part of our travelling history!!
We now have a little 1991 fiat motorhome so not finished on the road yet--- if this covid virus spares us!!
Nice to get back on RV.net and see what's happening.
Stay safe everyone
Nigel and Pamala (ex uk now portugal)

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
An added comment- the other times I have seen this happen in a short time was when the anode was removed to install an electric element. The way the tanks are constructed, the tank is welded up except for the "flame cup", then the interior is sprayed with the porcelain coating and fired, then the flame cup is welded in, resulting in a very small part that is not glass coated. Without an anode, and with bad water, all of the galvanic action is concentrated in a very small area.
-- Chris Bryant

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with Doug. There is NOWHERE that the flame input/flue is connected to the interior of the RV because it would be a place for carbon monoxide to enter. If water is coming out, it can only be coming from inside the water heater itself. The only cure is replacement.

Sorry
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
The water heater has to be replaced. There is NOTHING other than a leak in the tank that would cause water to come out the burner flue. The odds are it froze last winter, but not enough to split until it heated up a few times. Doug

What Doug said.
-- Chris Bryant

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Maybe these people can get a tank or have one
Water heater, UK

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

sundowners
Explorer
Explorer
Just been looking at their warranty ------3 year for tank---does not cover o/seas (UK)----also does not cover freight (the most expensive part of replacing ours)--------ours is JUST over 3 years old---
Nigel

sundowners
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Welding the tank could damage the glass lining. This can cause more places to rust out later on.
Sounds like an internal leak which would be hard to get to. Only way I can think of is with an automotive type flexible video scope.
Is there any salvage locations in th UK that might have a used tank?
You may want to contact Suburban. Maybe they would replace under a warranty!

A nice idea--- but at three years old !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nigel & Pamala------Still soggy UK

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The water heater has to be replaced. There is NOTHING other than a leak in the tank that would cause water to come out the burner flue. The odds are it froze last winter, but not enough to split until it heated up a few times. Doug

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Welding the tank could damage the glass lining. This can cause more places to rust out later on.
Sounds like an internal leak which would be hard to get to. Only way I can think of is with an automotive type flexible video scope.
Is there any salvage locations in th UK that might have a used tank?
You may want to contact Suburban. Maybe they would replace under a warranty!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

sundowners
Explorer
Explorer
Hi
Thanks
Is it possible to get at the welds to inspect/repair them----------a new tank will cost me a LOT of freight and import duty/tax------it is worth me doing a bit of work, if it will do any good
Thanks
Nigel--------still raining here:(

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Tank is either rusted through or had a bad weld during manufacture.
New tank time!

I disagree with this assessment.
The water heater is just several years old. Perhaps it is leaking at a fitting on or near the tank and the water is dripping on the tank and running down to where you see it dripping. look at the connections at and around the heater before deciding the heater itself is leaking.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Tank is either rusted through or had a bad weld during manufacture.
New tank time!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from Truck Campers.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke