cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

suburban water heater

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a ten gallon water heater and the wire that controls the gas needs to be wiggled if I want the gas to come on. the wire connector is behind the black reset cover on the face of the heater.I am having one of those senior moments and am trying to remember what to do to make better contact. tried sand paper, tried to squeeze the fitting tighter, any other trick I can apply to make this thing work when I throw the switch inside the TT
3 REPLIES 3

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

Some of the issues with Suburban t-stats
1) Crimps on connectors
2) Wires getting chaffed due to rubbing against edge where metal is folded over
3) Connecting wire between t-stats
4) Loose/dirty contact between t-stat and tank wall
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If there is a crimped on connector on the end of the wire there may be a bad crimp, maybe crimped on the insulation too much and barely making contact with the wire. Also possible the wire has a break inside the insulation some where

An electrical contact cleaner may help. Just had a problem with my ZTR not starting. Pulled some connectors, sprayed with elec cleaner, solved the problem.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
I have a ten gallon water heater and the wire that controls the gas needs to be wiggled if I want the gas to come on. the wire connector is behind the black reset cover on the face of the heater.I am having one of those senior moments and am trying to remember what to do to make better contact. tried sand paper, tried to squeeze the fitting tighter, any other trick I can apply to make this thing work when I throw the switch inside the TT

Are you sure it is a bad contact or a worn out thermostat? I have replaced both the 120v and the propane thermostat on my Suburban twice each over the past 5+ years full time.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010