cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too much electricity!!

tennille
Explorer
Explorer
We have an unusual problem in our 06 Fleetwood Bounder. We had it in the shop and the inverter was replaced because we weren’t getting power to any of the outlets running through it. I picked it up and only tested it on inverter and on generator power and all was fine. When I got it home and plugged in to shore power I ran the vacuum cleaner for about ten seconds before it died. The inverter panel showed an over voltage error. I checked several outlets that I knew ran through the inverter with a multimeter and it showed 242 volts. That explained the dead vacuum. I’ve ruled out the pedestal since it did the same at the one at the shop. I don’t know if it has a separate transfer switch or not as I’ve never seen one in all my poking and prodding over the years but that’s my best guess as to the issue. No word from the shop yet but just wondering if anyone has had such a problem.
Scott and Robin
Kathryn
10 REPLIES 10

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:
time2roll wrote:
What exactly are you plugged into at home?
x2
Sounds like 'home' was a 50 amp campground.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
What exactly are you plugged into at home?
x2
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
When you got it home you plugged into what kind of outlet??????

Many plug into an existing 30 amp outlet or have an elecctrican install a 30 amp outlet.. the outlet is often 240 volt.. Not good for your RV

Option 2 is an open neutral. Normal 50 amp RV power is 240 volts divided into two 120 volt legs.. kind of like this

0----120-----230
120---0-----120

a center tapped transformer. (The first line is reading from one end. the second from the center tap

If you loose the center tap you can end up with 240 volts on one leg if the other has a load on it. Not good either.

USe of a Progressive Industries HW-50C (on a 50 amp) or HW-30C (30 amp) will not stop you from plugging into a bad outlet..... but it will protect ther RV and let you know "Hey dummy, WRONG OUTLET" (er 240 volts DO NOT BYPASS).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Always a good idea to check things with your own multimeter...

PEDESTAL READINGS

50AMP SERVICE

NO SHOCK ZONE image

30AMP SERVICE

NO SHOCK ZONE image

If these check out as wired proper and you have burned up items in your 120VAC Power Distribution setup them something is wired wrong in your system...

The 50AMP SERVICE provides two 120VAC 50A ZONES for your use.

google image

You should not find any 240AC Voltages around your 120VAC Power Distribution Setup unless they have been specifically wired into your system usually for high end Trailers that have Dryers and Washers machines etc...
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would say you are on battery power tonight and need to get back in asap.
A 10+ amp portable battery charger direct on the battery will keep the lights on.

Everything that runs on 120 volts needs to be checked for operation after the issue is fixed.

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, though I am concerned that this would have fried the charging circuit in the inverter if it were a combined inverter charger.

Do you know what model of inverter was installed?

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like they got the neutral switched with one of the hot legs. That would give you 240v instead of 120v. I would make the shop make it right.

tennille
Explorer
Explorer
It is a 50amp rv and the pedestal is 50amp.
Scott and Robin
Kathryn

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
What exactly are you plugged into at home? Did you check the source voltage?
Standard home outlet NEMA 5-15, or 30 amp RV outlet NEMA TT-30, or a 50 amp RV outlet that says NEMA 14-50? Is this a 50 amp RV or 30 amp RV?

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
That shop cannot be trusted, but who else can you take it back to? Go high up as you can in their management and demand proper supervision for their idiot electrical guy.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.