cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

'15 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE AND TRAILER COMPATIBLE?

bobka7914
Explorer
Explorer
Need your input and recommendation: Contemplating purchasing a TV and TT... In your opinion, do you think a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee (3.6-liter V-6 290 hp, 260 ft torque) with a 6200 lb tow capacity can safely and adequately pull a travel trailer weighing 4200 lb dry/optioned out, approx 5100 wet?
19 REPLIES 19

Chucknbob
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, you'll be able to pull that. I agree with the others, you may be happier with a v8, but there's no reason why the pentastar and 8 speed won't be able to handle that. It is a very impressive motor/tranny combination.

However, please keep in mind it likely won't come with a trailer brake controller. You MUST have that installed to pull your camper safely. The dealer can install a very nice controller designed for the Grand Cherokee that will be covered under warranty.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
6200 capacity/5100# wet (GVWR??) is cutting it pretty close. The question is not CAN you, but SHOULD you. Agree that if the budget allows, opt for the beefier version. Too many have cut it close and found very soon that they needed to make a move up....cost them more in the long run.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
If you were towing a lot, I would option for the V8 or 3.0 ED. If not, the 3.6 V6 is a good engine with more HP and equal torque to V8s of just a few years back.

And I don't think comparing a 10 year old SUV that is another brand to a new Grand Cherokee is a fair comparison. Aside from the new technology that the Jeep has, they also have always been superior tow vehicles vs most other SUVs.

Either way, if you already have the trailer, it woudl be a good idea to take it for a test drive towing before you commit.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not saying it can't or shouldn't, but keep in mind max tow rating will likely have that motor screaming toward redline on routine acceleration, relatively short wheelbase hinders highway stability, and any people and cargo in Jeep takes away from rear axle capcity available for tounge weight.
Just as an example, I have a 2006 ford explorer V6 full frame, 114 inch wheelbase, and tow a single axle Hybrid that typically weighs 3,200 lbs LOADED. That brings my combined weight with wife, 3 kids, and stuff to about 9,500 lbs confirmed by scale. Believe me, even with properly adjusted sway control I rarely take it over 55 mph except for brief moments getting around a situation. I certainly wish I had a little more truck at those times
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

APT
Explorer
Explorer
That's probably ok. The 8-spd can really make use of the V6 power. Expect engine specs in the 2500-30000 cruising on the highway and 5000+ accelerating and up hills. The engine won't care, but some passengers do.

If you can afford it, I highly recommend at least the V8. You'll have 50% more torque, which means it can purr along closer to 2000rpm and seldom need to exceed 3000rpm. Most people are happier with that.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)