cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2004 F-450 6.0 DRW Bullet Proof

Mjoseph320
Explorer
Explorer
Our dealer that knew we were looking for a TV called us about a 2004 F-450 DRW 6.0L Diesel, the Lariat package, that's been bullet proofed. It has 77,000 Miles and one owner who used it for pulling horse trailers. There is a lot of paperwork included showing all the work done. It has balloons? Airbags? that raise or lower the rear suspension. Includes a gooseneck hitch. $21K

It's more truck than we were looking for but I'm thinking you can't have too much truck. It won't be a daily driver and right now we are only pulling a max of 6500 lb TT but plan to upgrade to a small (27 - 30 ft) FW in a couple years.

My question is...with all the problems of the 6.0 does the bulletproof actually make it reliable. We are looking at this being a long-term (10+ years) ownership. We always buy new because we do better with a budget of a monthly payment and a bumper to bumper warranty than with surprise repair bills but at the price of new trucks that is out of the question for something that will be a TV only.
2005 "New to Us" Thor Wanderer, 21'
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
40 REPLIES 40

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I worked for a guy who had an 04 6.0 and I drove it a lot. I was great driving but his had all sorts of elec/electronic problem. As far as I know, "bullet proofing" is all mechanical fixes. Good luck! Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
CampingN.C. wrote:
I drive a 2003 F-450 at work with 170K miles on it. It's a bucket truck somewhere around 14-15K lbs. I drive the******out of it, it's not mine. Original engine. It has been ran very low on coolant for two days due to a cracked reservoir and not having a spare truck. No aftermarket parts since it's a fleet truck. It's getting all injectors and a FICM as I type this, and that's really all that's ever been done.
Plus with the idling it does it probably has closer to 250K miles on it.
All of our other 6.0's have higher miles than mine, no real issues.

IMO, the one's that are TRULY worked hard day after day seem to have less issues than the grocery getters that tow heavy occasionally.

Just my 2 cents.

I know a guy who would probably deck you for saying that! He bought two 6.doh F450's, and they came close to putting him out of business! He still has both wreckers...both now sporting common-rail CUMMINS power.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

cinrock
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP, congratulations on your new to you truck. I would recommend getting a Scan Gauge II from Auto Zone and keep it plugged in all the time. Go to the FTE site and get the PIDs specific for the 6.0 and program them into the SGII. Monitoring the oil and coolant temp along with FICM voltage will provide ample warning if things are starting to go south.

The 6.0 likes frequent oil changes (5k max). I run synthetic but that's your choice. Keep the batteries fresh, underperforming batteries will kill the FICM which kills injectors.

The 6.0 properly monitored and maintained will serve you well. Mine has 90k and has had all the 'bullet proofing' except head studs. The truck has never been tuned and never will. It's my opinion that tuning caused a lot of the issues with strategies that used overboosting and lifting the heads as a result.
'05 F-350 Lariat DRW 6.0 PSD
'11 831QBSS Flagstaff Classic Signature Series
Held on by a Reese Dual Cam HP

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Not to contribute to yet another debate about the 6.0, but I'd have to agree:

"IMO, the one's that are TRULY worked hard day after day seem to have less issues than the grocery getters that tow heavy occasionally."

I had two F350's with 6.0 (both 2004's) and never had a single problem with either one related to the 6.0: one had a bad transfer case gasket that leaked.

The 6.0 issue apparently didn't scare off the thief that took my first 6.0 350. When I traded the replacement 6.0 3 years later, the dealership that took it apparently wasn't scared of the 6.0 either.

I used both to tow a 16K 5ver....lots of pull and no engine problems.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
I drive a 2003 F-450 at work with 170K miles on it. It's a bucket truck somewhere around 14-15K lbs. I drive the******out of it, it's not mine. Original engine. It has been ran very low on coolant for two days due to a cracked reservoir and not having a spare truck. No aftermarket parts since it's a fleet truck. It's getting all injectors and a FICM as I type this, and that's really all that's ever been done.
Plus with the idling it does it probably has closer to 250K miles on it.
All of our other 6.0's have higher miles than mine, no real issues.

IMO, the one's that are TRULY worked hard day after day seem to have less issues than the grocery getters that tow heavy occasionally.

Just my 2 cents.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

Bedlam
Duplicate post, please delete.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Bedlam
dgreen1069 wrote:
Halmfamily wrote:
rjd2516 wrote:
I owned a 2004 f250 lariat. Loved the truck but had engine problems with it. I would recommend passing on the 6.0 engine, and not because of the reliability issues. They just dont have the "nuts" to pull any weight. The smaller block on these engines work really hard when pulling hills. I could only pull a 6% grade at 35 mph with 8500 lbs behind it. And it would run hot , even with that huge radiator it came with. It just never pulled very well. My 7.3, duramax and cummins friends would leave me behind. So I chipped it. And it blew up. $9000 in parts to fix it. I loved driving that truck, except when something was attached to the back.

My 06 6.0 pulls like a beast. My fiver last scaled at 12600lbs is pulled up 6% grades at 65 all day with no problem. When my fan kicks on it sounds lime an airplane under the hood. I have put a new oil cooler, egr cooler, fan clutch, coolant filter, coolant cap and changed out to ELC. Zero issues with overheating. I will be driving this truck for years to come.

I agree, my Excursion is my third diesel and is the truck I was looking for the first two times. I've had my truck and trailer all over the country and can maintain highway speeds on all the major grades. To be honest, I'm always amazed at how well the truck pulls. As a reference, my trailer is right at 8k lbs. A lot of what is said about the 6.0 is true, but low on power is not one of them. My truck is an early 2003 and is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I have 174k miles now and hope to get another 100k. With that said, I realize I've been lucky and doubt I would risk buying a used 6.0. I'm hopeful the 6.7 is reliable because I think Ford builds an awesome truck. My Excursion is my first Ford ever (and I've owned a lot of vehicles), but it has held up better than anything else I've ever owned.....and it has been far from babied.

My 6.0 used to tow an 11K+ lb TH and now tows 7000 lbs with 4000 lbs loaded on the rear. It's never been lacking in power whether towing over 8000'+ mountains or lower elevation 10% grades. It's rare when my transmission has to drop a gear that makes the engine spin over 3000 rpm (usually spins at 2500-2750 rpm when working hard and 1750-2250 rpm when cruising with a load).

Even when my fan clutch started to fail, I could keep going without overheating in 90 degree weather with the AC off at 55 mph and I was over 19k lbs GCW.

I'm not going to sugar coat this: rjd2516 had an engine with cooling issues and destroyed it by modifying it instead of addressing the problem.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations! Hope it gives you great service. Now spend just a couple bucks more and get an Edge Insight or scangauge II monitor to keep an eye on temps and other stats in real time.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
Mjoseph320 wrote:
We bought it...we were given all the paperwork and there has been over $5000 worth of bulletproofing done from a shop with a good reputation. For a diesel the miles are low and the dealer came down $4000 in price. Hopefully we made the right decision!
Congratulations! Sounds like you got a great truck for a great price. I hope it gives you many years of happy towing!
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
If you got it for 17k with all the work done, I say you got a good deal. The fact that all the major issues have been addressed will help you. I got my 2006 6.0 with 120k on it for 16k thanks to the view the 6.0 has just over 18 months ago. I did spend 4k taking care of the known issues with it. For that 4k I pulled the heads, had them checked, new head gaskets, studs, new oil cooler, upgraded EGR cooler from bullet proof well overbuilt from stock, new water pump (due to leak at input shaft), new thermostat, and a coolant filter.

I expect to have to replace the original FICM at some point, but then all of the other engines have their gremlins. The 7.3, the GM duramax, even the summins ISB, each has a unique issue that eventually you have to address. The biggest issue with the 6.0 has and will continue to be the EGR cooler system and general misdiagnosis, which my friends shop sees regularly when a customer pulls up after dropping thousands elsewhere and still having problems.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you need help here's the guy you call:

Anthony Youngblood
Anthony@sdutys.com
(816)548-6970
(816)548-6971
(816)337-3881 Fax
www.sDUTYs.com

He is run6.0run on www.ford-trucks.com. Otherwise called FTE (Ford Truck Enthusiasts).

Mjoseph320
Explorer
Explorer
texasclarks wrote:
Mjoseph320 wrote:
Our dealer that knew we were looking for a TV called us about a 2004 F-450 DRW 6.0L Diesel, the Lariat package, that's been bullet proofed. It has 77,000 Miles and one owner who used it for pulling horse trailers. There is a lot of paperwork included showing all the work done. It has balloons? Airbags? that raise or lower the rear suspension. Includes a gooseneck hitch. $21K

It's more truck than we were looking for but I'm thinking you can't have too much truck. It won't be a daily driver and right now we are only pulling a max of 6500 lb TT but plan to upgrade to a small (27 - 30 ft) FW in a couple years.

My question is...with all the problems of the 6.0 does the bulletproof actually make it reliable. We are looking at this being a long-term (10+ years) ownership. We always buy new because we do better with a budget of a monthly payment and a bumper to bumper warranty than with surprise repair bills but at the price of new trucks that is out of the question for something that will be a TV only.

So what all did you decide? Just curious. I know the 6.0's can be troublesome...but if done right they can be very good & strong trucks.

We bought it...we were given all the paperwork and there has been over $5000 worth of bulletproofing done from a shop with a good reputation. For a diesel the miles are low and the dealer came down $4000 in price. Hopefully we made the right decision!
2005 "New to Us" Thor Wanderer, 21'
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

texasclarks
Explorer
Explorer
Mjoseph320 wrote:

So what all did you decide? Just curious. I know the 6.0's can be troublesome...but if done right they can be very good & strong trucks.
Posts are for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as endorsement or recommendations. YMMV!

Steven & Stacie, plus 2 ('02 & '07)
'04 Suburban 2500, Quad Seats, 8.1L, 3.73
'09 Rockwood 8313SS

Texas not just a State, but a State of mind!

dgreen1069
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
rjd2516 wrote:
I owned a 2004 f250 lariat. Loved the truck but had engine problems with it. I would recommend passing on the 6.0 engine, and not because of the reliability issues. They just dont have the "nuts" to pull any weight. The smaller block on these engines work really hard when pulling hills. I could only pull a 6% grade at 35 mph with 8500 lbs behind it. And it would run hot , even with that huge radiator it came with. It just never pulled very well. My 7.3, duramax and cummins friends would leave me behind. So I chipped it. And it blew up. $9000 in parts to fix it. I loved driving that truck, except when something was attached to the back.

My 06 6.0 pulls like a beast. My fiver last scaled at 12600lbs is pulled up 6% grades at 65 all day with no problem. When my fan kicks on it sounds lime an airplane under the hood. I have put a new oil cooler, egr cooler, fan clutch, coolant filter, coolant cap and changed out to ELC. Zero issues with overheating. I will be driving this truck for years to come.

I agree, my Excursion is my third diesel and is the truck I was looking for the first two times. I've had my truck and trailer all over the country and can maintain highway speeds on all the major grades. To be honest, I'm always amazed at how well the truck pulls. As a reference, my trailer is right at 8k lbs. A lot of what is said about the 6.0 is true, but low on power is not one of them. My truck is an early 2003 and is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I have 174k miles now and hope to get another 100k. With that said, I realize I've been lucky and doubt I would risk buying a used 6.0. I'm hopeful the 6.7 is reliable because I think Ford builds an awesome truck. My Excursion is my first Ford ever (and I've owned a lot of vehicles), but it has held up better than anything else I've ever owned.....and it has been far from babied.
2003 Excursion Limited
6.0 PSD/5sp Torqshift/3.73 Limited Slip
2003 Potomac 30 EBS
Hensley Arrow